TM30 about to get serious in Bangkok?

2 minutes ago, asiaexpat said:

Yes, my wife uses the mail for TM 30 reports of people visiting our home. She sends them to CW.

Thank you. Do you think I could do the same in future to report myself after returning to the country from brief trips abroad? Does CW acknowledge receipt of your wife's mailings? 

3 minutes ago, Pravda said:

If course you have to register yourself if you own your own property.

As for your comment that only a small fraction gets hassled by TM30 I think you are grossly mistaken. Only a small percentage of foreigners are registered on Thai Visa yet that "small percentage" is getting fined as witnessed on this very thread.

After 12 years living in my house in Ubon, and having a yellow book, we went to imm. for a 60 day extension on my Non-O visa. Mrs.Trans was fined 800bht for not filling out a TM 30 and handing it in. Never happened before, they said every time I get a new Non-O outside the country she must give them a TM 30....

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

But the reality is, that of the 35 million or so arrivals each year, only a very small percentage of those get hassled about a TM30. I certainly do not see even a small fraction of those attending immigration. Just us long term residents. The TM30 is designed for property owners to register foreigners. If you own your own property, registering you are there is silly. If you rent property out to a foreigner, or have one stay for free, you should be responsible to do it, or any agent renting on your behalf. To fine the tenant, is an opportunistic money grab. 

I have not seen crowds of Thai home owners at immigration reporting TM 30's, I have seen the office I go to swamped out this week with aliens doing so. The 90 day report slips are printed with a message telling the alien they must report their address within 24 hours of  re entry, no mention of the home owner.

Edited by Orton Rd

19 hours ago, RobMuir said:

So my suggestion to anyone in the same boat is simply lie and say you were staying in a hotel in a different province. 

Too easy.

I tried this on last year, the IO said I would need to show receipts as evidence next time to avoid a fine. Maybe its changed in year since!

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I disagree, I have never submitted a TM30. Although if it became obligated I would comply, it is just stupid to require it of me when I return to Thailand. Of course I am returning to my own residence, 24 hours to get to immigration and submit a TM30 is unrealistic, and simply a money grab.

I doubt immigration could process 35 million TM30s per year!

Isn't your office asking for a TM30 reciept when you do an extension ? If they dont ask, great, but thats what the tread is about more offices in BKK will now be asking.

I have been reporting myself in my condo for a couple of years.

2 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

I have not seen crowds of Thai home owners at immigration reporting TM 30's, I have seen the office I go to swamped out this week with aliens doing so. The 90 day report slips are printed with a message telling the alien they must report their address within 24 hours of  re entry, no mention of the home owner.

Exactly, but that was not the original idea. Hotels etc are required to report who is staying and they can do it on-line. Printing it on a 90 day report slips does not make it a law. And by the way, it is not printed on my 90 day report slip, which I did on-line. 

Why do some tourists not have to do a TM30 and others do, simply based on where they are living? 

16 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Do you get an acknowledgement back that it's been filed?

I got mine back in the SAE. There's a stub at bottom of TM30 for them to sign and return. I have mailed by TM30 and TM28 in the same envelope. First time I got both TM28 and TM30 stubs signed and returned. Next time they just signed the TM30 and ignored the TM28 and returned that form untouched as I sent it without any comment. Go figure.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I disagree, I have never submitted a TM30. Although if it became obligated I would comply, it is just stupid to require it of me when I return to Thailand. Of course I am returning to my own residence, 24 hours to get to immigration and submit a TM30 is unrealistic, and simply a money grab.

I doubt immigration could process 35 million TM30s per year!

Well, I agree it's stupid.

This is why if I get my marriage "visa" I prefer to get a multi entry rather than extension. It was less hassle in the past and it looks like it's going to be a lot less hassle in the future.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

I have never seen anything on a 90 day report reciept saying anything about doing a TM30 report, most look like the image below, maybe thats unique to your office. 

I think you will find most doing the TM30 reports are agents, owners etc, its often difficult to do the report if you are just staying there as you need to produce blue book, lease etc.

Image result for thailand 90 day receipt

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Isn't your office asking for a TM30 reciept when you do an extension ? If they dont ask, great, but thats what the tread is about more offices in BKK will now be asking.

I have been reporting myself in my condo for a couple of years.

No. I may have got lucky, it was during the 'Embassy crisis' and they were very busy! But never have been asked, nor was I when I got a re-entry permit. If I were travelling within Thailand somewhat, having to submit a TM30 within 24 hours, 2 times per trip, is quite ridiculous, and onerous. The workload for the IOs is also phenomenal.

17 minutes ago, transam said:

After 12 years living in my house in Ubon, and having a yellow book, we went to imm. for a 60 day extension on my Non-O visa. Mrs.Trans was fined 800bht for not filling out a TM 30 and handing it in. Never happened before, they said every time I get a new Non-O outside the country she must give them a TM 30....

Yup, 17 years here, homes in several places, work permit for many years, travel often, recently got whacked myself when needing a residence proof for new drivers license. Young lady immigration cop said that after reporting in person for several times, that it would be possible to do it by smart phone or something, but I guess you would then have a receipt to print out as that has to be in your passport. One place they don't care about this is at immigration leaving Thailand, it seems to be only enforced, fined, and concerning the immigration offices in country and seems to be directed only at expats on longer term extensions of stay, not at tourists.

• Like 1

Just now, jacko45k said:

No. I may have got lucky, it was during the 'Embassy crisis' and they were very busy! But never have been asked, nor was I when I got a re-entry permit. If I were travelling within Thailand somewhat, having to submit a TM30 within 24 hours, 2 times per trip, is quite ridiculous, and onerous. The workload for the IOs is also phenomenal.

I dont think anyone races down and reports for internal trips and most offices dont require for internal trips.

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

I dont think anyone races down and reports for internal trips and most offices dont require for internal trips.

Well if you stay at a hotel that registers you for a few days, on return home you are required to submit a TM30. Immigration have a record you were out of town and will gleefully fine you at the next opportunity. And hence I feel it is an opportunistic money grab. 

Fortunately my office seems to be too busy to pursue this, although the TM30 room is usually packed and queuing outside with people wasting their time. The OP is about Bangkok, a major IO, where nearly all tourists transit. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, RobMuir said:

So my suggestion to anyone in the same boat is simply lie and say you were staying in a hotel in a different province. 

Too easy.

I have done the same, arrived back pattaya on monday and stuffed around for 3 days then went Thursday to report and just said I had been BKK since monday.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I have never seen anything on a 90 day report reciept saying anything about doing a TM30 report,

FWIW, there have been many reports this week that in-person 90 day reports at CW now require a TM30. 

Counter B is raking in the cash. Plan 3 hours is what some people are recommending.

Not sure how an online 90 day report is impacted?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

I have done the same, arrived back pattaya on monday and stuffed around for 3 days then went Thursday to report and just said I had been BKK since monday.

God forbid they decide that this fictitious hotel in another province failed to register you and that is your fault! 

But, as you say you use Pattaya, I believe they do not pursue you on this if you live in your own place there.

4 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

FWIW, there have been many reports this week that in-person 90 day reports at CW now require a TM30. 

Counter B is raking in the cash. Plan 3 hours is what some people are recommending.

Not sure how an online 90 day report is impacted?

Yeah, for conspiracy theorists out there, they also were not able to give me a receipt for the 800 Baht fine for some reason. 

• Like 2

To the lucky ones who do not have this printed on their 90 days slips, keep your eyes open. I did not take any notice last year then was fined at extension time. No show up it's 1600 baht, you can try lying about going to a hotel good luck with that.

IMG_20190427_092606_resized_20190427_093016718.jpg

Edited by Orton Rd
name appeared

3 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

To the lucky ones who do not have this printed on their 90 days slips, keep your eyes open. I did not take any notice last year then was fined at extension time. No show up it's 1600 baht, you can try lying about going to a hotel good luck with that.

That's the second time someone made me get my passport out! No, not printed on my on-line 90 day slip. It might help if you told us which office did this to you. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

God forbid they decide that this fictitious hotel in another province failed to register you and that is your fault! 

But, as you say you use Pattaya, I believe they do not pursue you on this if you live in your own place there.

I think you can safely assume there is no inter office/province checking, The offices themselves dont really know if you have reported, thats why they insist on seeing the receipts.

• Like 1

Just now, Peterw42 said:

I think you can safely assume there is no inter office/province checking, The offices themselves dont really know if you have reported, thats why they insist on seeing the receipts.

But apparently they do know if you have been reported on your behalf (by a hotel for example), as it will go into your record with Imm. Then they know you haven't reported on your 'return'.....

15 hours ago, madmen said:

Dont know anywhere in the world where you can check in to a hotel without Id.

Germany, Austria, the UK.... 

Many places in Europe, some have laws for reporting like Italy ???????? because of their mafia problems tho. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

why would it help, if it's your office they will be printing it on yours, if not they may well be in the near future

Other people on the forum who use the same office can react accordingly. I already told you I do my 90 day reports online and no such message is printed. These things vary office to office. 

56 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Well if you stay at a hotel that registers you for a few days, on return home you are required to submit a TM30. Immigration have a record you were out of town and will gleefully fine you at the next opportunity.

I don’t think they know and it is too much work to check.

56 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

And hence I feel it is an opportunistic money grab. 

It was actually a law brought in as a knee jerk reaction to the Erawan bombing. It is supposed to stop terrorism. 

But because the “system” was already a thai designed system, and the order came from the top as usual without consulting the immigration officers on the ground who actually had to implement it, the whole system is a mess that actually doesn’t do what it was designed to do.

Thais are reluctant to complain up the hierarchy out of fear of causing or having face loss, so this is the ineffective sh1tfight that we are left with.

Welcome to Thailand.

Lying is the best approach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1