TM30 about to get serious in Bangkok?

10 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Not on the London website they don't. Both types of visa similar.

Passport (validity over 1 year) and at least 2 blank pages (OA)

Passport must be valid for at least 1 year from the date of travel and at least 2 blank pages.  (OX) Although the next line, is

-passport (validity over 6 months) and at least 2 blank pages is redundant and a copy and paste error. 

this differs entirely from what US consulate says...

Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” (long stay)
1. Your actual Passport or Travel Document. (Passport or Travel Document must be valid for at least 18 months    and contain at least ONE completely empty visa page).

Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-X” (long stay)
1. Your Passport (Passport must not expire within 6 months and contain at least ONE completely empty visa page)

Just now, lupin said:

this differs entirely from what US consulate says...

Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” (long stay)
1. Your actual Passport or Travel Document. (Passport or Travel Document must be valid for at least 18 months    and contain at least ONE completely empty visa page).

Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-X” (long stay)
1. Your Passport (Passport must not expire within 6 months and contain at least ONE completely empty visa page)

They are hopeless! ????

21 minutes ago, lupin said:

The video being used to explain this to thai house/condo/hotel owners is absolutely hilarious

Did immigration pay royalties or ask for a permission to use the Pink Panther theme?

• Like 1

On 4/26/2019 at 12:25 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

It remains to be seen if it will be enforced for all Extensions.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Which extensions is it compulsary in BKK? Only yearly retirements? What about METV (tourist visas)?

• Like 1

Hey Rob. How long ago was this?I was in a similar situation at Pattaya last week but had been on a remote island and I said I reported to the police and they weren't interested and they didn't give a receipt. My girlfriend sweet talked her out of the fine. What worried me is she did seem to look me up on her laptop . I wonder what info was there. I can't believe they are together enough to have a central database of people reporting addresses throughout Thailand but...

I was down at Pattaya immigration and hadn’t bothered to do the TM 30 since being back in the country for 45 days. 
The immigration woman asked me, and I told her I had been staying in a pHuket hotel the whole time (I lied) and I had just got back to Pattaya that morning. They can’t check it.

So my suggestion to anyone in the same boat is simply lie and say you were staying in a hotel in a different province. 
Too easy.

Sent from my Nokia 2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 4/26/2019 at 12:50 PM, R123 said:

I know this has been asked many times before but:

If living in Thailand on a retirement visa with re-entry permit (CW office) then I take a trip outside Thailand...on return to Thailand , do I need to go to Immigration to file a TM 30 within 24 hours?

Even though address etc not changed? 

I have had two answers given on TV to this very question; yes and no.  It seems to vary between immigration offices, so nobody on this forum has been able to give a definitive answer. I guess it's try it and see. if it works, all well and good, if it doesn't you get fined and learn.   

On 4/28/2019 at 6:21 PM, bbi1 said:

Which extensions is it compulsary in BKK? Only yearly retirements? What about METV (tourist visas)?

Well, I did my retirement extension of stay yesterday at C.W. and absolutely no mention of a TM 30. Only thing different from last year was that a hand drawn map to your home is required, and you have to sign a copy of the new money in the bank rules as acknowledgement.

15 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I have had two answers given on TV to this very question; yes and no.  It seems to vary between immigration offices, so nobody on this forum has been able to give a definitive answer. I guess it's try it and see. if it works, all well and good, if it doesn't you get fined and learn.   

My current working assumption is:

New TM-6 (implies an int'l dep and arr), file a new TM-30 within 24 hrs, even if you address remains constant.

Same TM-6 but movement around Thailand, potentially problematic if say a hotel has reported you. Otherwise not reported by a hotel, say, visitng family, then no need for a new TM-30.

So a yes, a maybe and a no. /chicken dinner.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Well, I did my retirement extension of stay yesterday at C.W. and absolutely no mention of a TM 30.

Perhaps you've been previously TM-30 reported by someone? Did you have an agent in tow?

Did you notice the TM-30 "B" counter? Or maybe overhear anyone talking about the TM-30 requirement?

It seems like everyone has had to clear the "B" counter first, before doing anything else, but maybe something changed?

1 minute ago, KhunHeineken said:

If you are fined 800 baht for the TM30, could it / does it have any other repercussions? 

Too early to tell, no repeat offenders yet.

But am thinking the 800 baht gravy train will become addictive, so maybe no other repercussions, other than a potential increase in the fine level for each transgression?

On 4/28/2019 at 11:41 AM, lupin said:

The video being used to explain this to thai house/condo/hotel owners is absolutely hilarious

sure am glad the perps looked more like Thais, than Falang

32 minutes ago, Chrisdoc said:

Hey Rob. How long ago was this?

A month or or two ago.

I was in a similar situation at Pattaya last week but had been on a remote island and I said I reported to the police and they weren't interested and they didn't give a receipt.

I said I was staying at a hotel. So the onus is on the hotel, not me to do anything. 

You admitted to them you didn’t do it by saying that you were told it didn’t matter. 

That is probably the difference.

My girlfriend sweet talked her out of the fine. What worried me is she did seem to look me up on her laptop . I wonder what info was there. I can't believe they are together enough to have a central database of people reporting addresses throughout Thailand but...

They don’t. 

A constantly changing system,

with rules that are interpreted differently office to office, 

that relies on thousands of Thais (police, immigration officers, hotel workers or Airbandb owners) 

in different provinces

all doing their jobs correctly without mistakes

all on a thai run computer system.

Not a hope. Mai bpen rai.

Just keep it simple, next time tell them you were staying in a hotel in a faraway province and that you just got back today. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

Perhaps you've been previously TM-30 reported by someone? Did you have an agent in tow?

Did you notice the TM-30 "B" counter? Or maybe overhear anyone talking about the TM-30 requirement?

It seems like everyone has had to clear the "B" counter first, before doing anything else, but maybe something changed?

I assume my condo management might have done one years ago when I moved in, but I've been in and out of the country many times since then. CW has never required one if you return to the same address after an overseas trip.

No agent.... why would anybody need one (if they are legal)

What B counter ? There is an info counter just inside the front door, and a queue counter just inside the doors to the main area, and then you go to whatever section designated.....ie for Non O extensions of stay you get an "L" ticket and go to the "L" counters.

Edited by MikeN

55 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Too early to tell, no repeat offenders yet.

But am thinking the 800 baht gravy train will become addictive, so maybe no other repercussions, other than a potential increase in the fine level for each transgression?

I just know they are going to set up a desk at the airports for it. 

They will then fine the tenant, and can then chase the landlord for tax, and fines also.   

On 4/26/2019 at 2:13 PM, RobMuir said:

I was down at Pattaya immigration and hadn’t bothered to do the TM 30 since being back in the country for 45 days. 

The immigration woman asked me, and I told her I had been staying in a pHuket hotel the whole time (I lied) and I had just got back to Pattaya that morning. They can’t check it.

So my suggestion to anyone in the same boat is simply lie and say you were staying in a hotel in a different province. 

Too easy.

I feel you did stay in Phuket Hotel until in your own private reason and knowledge you cancelled your trip there. Thus, it would be hard to small other details why you physically decided not to stay there.???? On the other hand, there is no reason to explain too much as it will get the matter worsen due to language barrier and unforeseen event experienced by a person instead of the officer who just follow the book basic. As you said it, timing and convenience of checking it will killed everyone's time. That's how it should work in utilised as a valid reason for unnecessary argument or unnecessary unwanted fool-payment.

On 5/3/2019 at 10:30 AM, mtls2005 said:

On 5/3/2019 at 10:30 AM, mtls2005 said:

...But am thinking the 800 baht gravy train will become addictive, so maybe no other repercussions, other than a potential increase in the fine level for each transgression?

The current Immigration Act does not allow immigration officials to increase the fine level for each transgression. These fine amounts are in what Section 84 of the Immigration Bureau's English translation calls the "settlement rule or any conditions as the Settlement Commission may deem proper" and the translation of the Office of the Council of State calls the "criteria for settlement or any conditions as deemed fit"

On 4/28/2019 at 9:04 AM, Pravda said:

Did immigration pay royalties or ask for a permission to use the Pink Panther theme?

Exactly my thoughts. Fair use is limited to 10, 15, 30 seconds, yet they've looped Mancini's work for eight long minutes. 

On 4/27/2019 at 5:44 PM, Fairynuff said:

When you arrive into the country you hand over your immigration form upon which you’ve written your address in Thailand. So they know where you can be found. Beyond scamming us the TM30 has no purpose because they already have the information 

Wow.  Guess you've never moved hotels on your journeys.  As pesky as they may be to the dwelling owners, if a foreigner robs a bank, rapes a woman, or drives away from a DUI accident, don't you think it would be handy to know where he's staying?

9 hours ago, Maestro said:

The current Immigration Act does not allow immigration officials to increase the fine level for each transgression. These fine amounts are in what Section 84 of the Immigration Bureau's English translation calls the "settlement rule or any conditions as the Settlement Commission may deem proper" and the translation of the Office of the Council of State calls the "criteria for settlement or any conditions as deemed fit"

Section 77 : Whoever fails to comply with the provision of Section 38, shall be punished with a fine not
exceeding 2,000 Baht. If said person is a hotel manager, he shall be punished with a fine from 2,000 Baht
to 10,000 Baht.

Section 38 being the relevant section to this topic.

Reports of foreigners being charged 800 baht, and in other cases 1,600 baht. Also seen some reports of a 2,000 baht fine. There have also been reports of the fine being waived, or not demanded.

I guess my point was that there is a range for the fine, and there is the potential to increase the fine for repeat offenders from zero, up to a maximum of 2,000 baht.

• Like 1

Are they now enforcing the TM28 rules as well, where a foreigner must report in to the local Immigration office if he stays in a different province to where he normally resides, for more than 24 hours ?

Asking as I may be required to stay in Bangok for a while, undergoing medical treatment, in June of this year.

Thank you for all replies.

Edited by MrMuddle
spelling