BANGKOK 23 May 2019 02:46
webfact

Koh Samui: German says he paid 800,000 baht to operate his unlicensed villa

38 minutes ago, Hank Gunn said:

“Respect to the law and how culture in Thailand operates.”? 

Give me me a break. There is no rule of law in Thailand.

Well that is handy to know.

my Thai wife is in the process of being cheated out of land that’s been in her family for decades,

That is terrible. What province? Where did you meet your wife?

and has had to pay thousands of baht to corrupt government officials for a building permit for an extension to our house. 

I think you will find that in most countries building permits are not handed out free.

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

So this german guy thought he could build a huge villa, no permit, no licence, no construction supervision, just a willi nilli devil may care attitude, in an area full of 'law abiding Thais' rent it out to gusts as a hotel and get away with that? and then he complain of a shakedown, could he have done that in Germany i wonder...and i thought german people are much smarter than that...

Not one villa, but two villas there, both listed on AirBNB..... which he boasts about above....

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Something smells totally wrong here. How could he rent out the villas at this ridiculously low price, without expecting to have massive losses??

I guess that he could not expect, to sell his machines to every guest.

Edited by Xonax

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

OK saying he paid 800.000 baht, but who did he pay the money to?

He upset the local hoteliers, and they put the boot in, he needs to learn a lot more about corrupt practices here before spending serious money on any project.

The German practiced corrupt practices.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Wow, those villas look exceptional.  And by the looks of it, not impossible to rent out legally on a daily basis, without the need for a hotel license.  (Just registered as a guesthouse, etc.)   Maybe he's not married to (or partnered with) a Thai national who could run the business; that would complicate things of course.   And if there's no chanote then that's further complication. 

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Posted (edited)

in fairness to the guy there are MANY villas on koh samui being offered on airbnb and all over thailand for that matter with a very similar (if not the same) business model.

seems he was renting the whole villa out (villa rental) on at least one of them so the moral of this story is airbnb (for villas now not just condos) makes you a target and is now illegal?

doesn't seem like he had a check in desk and multiple rooms for rent (like a hotel) but the whole villas for rent unless i am reading this wrong??

myself and my wife have stayed in multiple villas on the island with the big villa business model of a homestay (owner lives there but rents a room out which is what airbnb was originally made to do) going back as far as i've been here which is nearly 20 years

i wouldn't call him stupid but maybe unlucky - definately will be some 'squeaky bums' with some of my old friends there though!

Edited by GeorgeCross

This is a fairy story.

A work of fiction-no German (even if he looks like Thor on a bad hair day)-could have done this.Look for the shadow (Thai) partners behind...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

He didn't even have a building permit. How naive must this guy be. A jackpot for all people who want to rip him off. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

Actually cheap as it's on step slope and only has Nor Sor 3 titles. 

That's why he didn't have building permit. 

Sorry, what does the Nor Sor 3 mean in the context of this story?

38 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Perhaps he used to work for VW, Audi or Siemens 🙂

It might be possible. I used to work in a company in Germany that changed CEOs etc every other year.

One of them was a guy that was all around the world beeing CEO for car Manufacturer companies. He mentioned several years in china, india, mexico etc..

Now hes retired living in the Philippines. Millionaire of course.