Koh Samui: German says he paid 800,000 baht to operate his unlicensed villa

webfact

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Beggar said:

I think it is not that simple. For sure many people could watch what he was building there for a while. You don't build anything like this overnight and this without any building permit. If I look at the photos it is a prime location very many people would like to have. The view is great. 

What did you not understand about my post?

Saw the place on TV news beautiful place and must of cost a big 

chunk to build. One would think you’d get most things right before 

putting out that type of money.

Anyone heard what the building costs are? 

Well hes a nice nice place to live with plenty of room...If he doesn’t 

go to jail, gets blacklisted and the boot......or the worst they people he gave money settle the score. 

4 minutes ago, Beggar said:

I think it is not that simple. For sure many people could watch what he was building there for a while. You don't build anything like this overnight and this without any building permit. If I look at the photos it is a prime location very many people would like to have. The view is great. 

Not that simple as you say, because there are 100+ – or more – relative new villas like that up there...????

image.png.41bc1e7161b927e2929176642f28e322.png

5 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

What did you not understand about my post?

I understood your post - no need to get aggressive. I added that it took a while to build all this and that it was on Airbnb for a while with some customers. I understand that he creates competition for licenced businesses. But in his case it is not so much about competition - the question is why he could create all this. 

8 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

Anyone heard what the building costs are?

Not heard, but depending of finishing and choice of materials, and up-hill you should for a villa like that count 50k baht a square meter, more if outstanding finishing materals are used.

4 minutes ago, Beggar said:

I understood your post - no need to get aggressive. I added that it took a while to build all this and that it was on Airbnb for a while with some customers. I understand that he creates competition for licenced businesses. But in his case it is not so much about competition - the question is why he could create all this. 

If you understood my post, then why quote my post with something totally unrelated?

I'm not one of those jumping on the bandwagon to beat the man over the head with a stick. He obviously thought that was the way things were done on the island.

He is certainly not the first who has fallen foul to this kind of thing. Doesn't make him stupid. 

But, as usual, the TV 'know it all with hindsight' gurus are out in force....when they really know nothing at all.

Not including you in this as I haven't read any of your posts.

5 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

You can not build a house for purpose of living in it. 

I'm not sure you are right about that for Nor Sor 3 land.

Most of Maenam Village, if not all, were build on Nor Sor 3 land, as some deeds has not yet been upgraded. My land was Nor Sor 3, and the existing building on that land had drawings at tessa ban office, when I applied for permission to take it down.

Samui for Sale, a normally reliable source of property information, states:

Nor Sor Saam (3)

The N.S.3 is a title deed which shows a person's right to possess a certain plot of land, but the land borders must be confirmed with neighboring plots. There are no so called parcel points or numbered concrete posts which are hammered into the ground to mark the boundaries of the land. The name showing on the title is the person who has the right to the land and has the legal right to possess the land and use the benefit of the land as an owner (it is not actual full ownership). This right will be recognized by the law and can be used as evidence in any dispute with an ordinary person or the government. It is possible to register a sale or lease and apply and obtain approval to build on this land if building complies with relevant building regulations, zoning and or other laws (e.g. environmental protection). The owner may burden the land (mortgage, lease, etc.) and register this with the Land Department. The land may be sold subject to a 30-day public notice period.

A problem with the Nor Sor Saam title (as opposed to a Chanote or Nor Sor Saam Gor title) is that it is not true land ownership or confirmed right of possession but a right of possession over a land area without an accurate surveyed boundary which often lead to boundary disputes when transferring/selling or upgrading such land during the notice 30-day period and possible hostile possession over such land under the Civil and Commercial Code (book 4) - i.e. claims over the land by someone else not registered as the person who has the registered rights to the land.

Nor Sor Saam (3) Gor

The N.S.3.G has the same legal basis as the Nor. Sor Saam however the boundaries of the land are defined and the land is accurately surveyed in relation to neighbouring land areas (the land area parcel points are set by using an aerial survey), the right of use has been confirmed and legal acts concerning the land, such as sale, do not need to be published and it is possible to register rights against the land and subdivide the land in smaller plots.

Nor Sor Saam (3) Khor

The N.S.3.K is similar to the N.S.3 Gor however is surveyed and issued in an area which has no parcel points set by using an aerial survey. This document issued by land officer. There are no restriction for the use of the land and there is no need to publicize any legal acts, and it is possible to subdivide the land into smaller plots.

The titles of the higher level deeds has to do with accuracy of land measure. When a Nor Sor 3 title change owner – i.e. are sold – it will be posted on Head-of-village's wall, and others can claim border right in a 30-day period.

I had my land upgraded to Chanute, but it took a while before the Land Office could find time to come a do an accurate satelite measure, and all neighbors could being assembled at same time, and approve the new land marker posts. The polite measure-staff – and there are numerous big boss present that day – expects a free lunch in a cozy Thai restaurant (plain, not expensive); I don't think that part of the procedure has changed, so maybe only one upgrade a day...????

2 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

Not including you in this as I haven't read any of your posts.

This saddens me very much. Hopefully I expressed myself correctly. Sadly I am not a native English speaker but just another German (without hotel business). 

9 hours ago, RobMuir said:

How do you know he upset the local hoteliers? 

How do you know it was the “hoteliers” who “put the boot in” ?

Was the 800,000 divided up between all the local hoteliers? 

Do you have some information regarding the specifics of this case or is that just what you imagined to have happened?

The original post story says...

But the hoteliers' association on the holiday island reported the villa owner to the authorities for operating without a license and taking business away from legitimate Thai operators.

He thought he was paying a bribe to the right people, he would surely know that paying for a license would be done at some or other government office.  Then again, he's obviously not so smart.

1 hour ago, observer90210 said:

Maybe, but as I never bribe....and if I had no choice, I would use a camouflaged camera and take good footage of the incident. The former would also get his piece of finger pointing thus.

And that could quite likely lead to you getting shot, or just disappearing. (Unless it's a "safe space nanny state.")

7 hours ago, Hank Gunn said:

Sorry, try again. That was adjudicated in Japan against a Japanese national, not Thailand, under anti corruption laws similar to those in the US and other “developed” countries.

Also, even the “non-corrupt” price for a building permit is more than 20 baht, so please don’t comment on things you don’t know about.

With regards to my wife’s concerns, if you knew the crap she and her family have gone through with the Thai courts you’d understand. Also, I’d trust her knowledge of Thailand and its culture (warts and all) over a self-righteous, farang, Thai apologist.

So you trust your Thai wife...Do you speak Thai? Just curious.

7 hours ago, ronaldo0 said:

I bet all his neighbours and just about everyone in chaweng noi must be crapping it !! ????

Having looked at what he does he seems to be connected to the lord almighty by the fact he only wears the same white shirt and he sells boxes than can cure and treat all kind of things all over the world !!

I have some miracle rocks if anyone is interested , they will guarantee you good health and to win the lottery !!????

So when did you move here? 

Living in Chaweng Noi for 14 years. 

Im 48. How the hell did he manage to get money to build a nice villa like that. I need to know what kind of work this guy does. Cant be something intellectual or?Illegal and all that. Perhaps he just arrived in Thailand first time.

1 hour ago, GoodieAfterDark said:

So you trust your Thai wife...Do you speak Thai? Just curious.

I find that first question borderline insulting but will answer it anyway. Yes, I trust her. No, I did not meet her in a bar but she is not a "hiso, Sino-Thai" (and I've never claimed such). She's a woman who had been working at the US disk-drive maker, Seagate for 11 years before I met her (age 16-27). A year and a half after marrying her and bringing her to the US, I lost my job (recession of 2009-2010) and was unemployed for 10 months of 2009. She could very well have left me to return to Thailand but instead worked one full-time job and one part-time job to help pay the mortgage on my house (wasn't in our names jointly). I'll also add that she signed a pre-nuptial agreement before we married.

To answer your second question, no I do not speak Thai but my only involvement with her legal issues, that I've mentioned earlier in this topic, was sitting in on lawyer consultations. As soon as a farang is involved in any issue dealing with the Thai "legal system" it's automatically assumed that the rich farang should simply pay to "make things go away". I have therefore not attended any court sessions.

1 hour ago, PoorSucker said:

So when did you move here? 

Living in Chaweng Noi for 14 years. 

12 years ago and about to move out I think !!

Was in one of the first villas built there just the other week and the owners said they were one of first to start building there and now its a mess. Lucky for them their main villa you can not quite notice so many of the other villas and I see they are now ripping out all the land at the bottom also .

52 minutes ago, sead said:

Im 48. How the hell did he manage to get money to build a nice villa like that. I need to know what kind of work this guy does. Cant be something intellectual or?Illegal and all that. Perhaps he just arrived in Thailand first time.

type in his name in google and check out his magic boxes he promotes all over the world as well as healing therapy !

People will believe anything I guess .

On the bright side, he's been visited today by the forest department and was able to provide his title deed and building permit, no encroachement was found. Police managed to interview the wife of the soldier, she claimed the 800.850 baht payment was for construction materials and has nothing to do with a bribe.

source : https://www.matichon.co.th/region/news_1467798

8 hours ago, Rod the Sod said:

I think you will find it is "skin of your nose". My teeth are skin free....

'By the skin of one's teeth' is one of them. Meaning'narrowly' or 'barely', and referring usually to a narrow escape from disaster, the phrase comes from the Book of Job, in which Job is subjected to horrible trials by Satan, to be relieved finally by God.

3 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

But nice twist...so he had building permits and proper title deeds... kinda changes the story a bit... guess because of media attention...

Yes, it changes the story a lot. Perhaps he just wanted to make advertisement for his accommodation ???? It really looks great. 

6 hours ago, ronaldo0 said:

type in his name in google and check out his magic boxes he promotes all over the world as well as healing therapy !

People will believe anything I guess .

you could argue that karma works, he made his money people believing this spiel and now he got done for believing into magic promised by an official...

Archived