Koh Samui: German says he paid 800,000 baht to operate his unlicensed villa

webfact

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Hank Gunn said:

“Respect to the law and how culture in Thailand operates.”? 

Give me me a break. There is no rule of law in Thailand. It’s money above everything else that personifies Thai culture.

A bit overboard. Methinks that you exaggerate. I have been involved in a number of court cases and calls to the police. (7 or 8 at least.) Ranging from murder to theft.

Every single one has been resolved correctly. One might complain about the punishment handed out but correct results every time.

18 hours ago, Duck J Butters said:

Even Thais have to pay bribes. My Thai wife was educated at Stanford in the US and runs a multi-million dollar stem cell and anti-aging chain in Thailand. She has to pay bribes constantly to other Thais. This is how it works. Most of the medicine she uses is imported from the US and Germany because quality control in Thailand is absolutely horrid. Even Thais won't use or buy medicine that is made in Thailand. No one with an ounce of brainpower would touch medicine made in Thailand. It simply isn't' safe. How do you think the Thais get all this farang medicine into Thailand????? Custom bribes buddy. Who do you think the richest people in Thailand are? They all work at Thai customs. You hands down must pay for protection in Thailand regardless of being Thai or farang. The same rules apply to ALL business owners. Both my wife and I graduated from the number 1 University in the world: Stanford. We are both multi-millionaires. I think we would know what it takes to operate a successful business in Thailand.

Are you sure you want to brag about choosing money over morals?  To be fair, those who train as doctors but then choose to spend their time making money off rich people who don't want to look their age, don't tend to have the highest moral fiber.  Best of luck to both of you and your profiteering venture's in the developing world.

14 hours ago, khunPer said:

I had my land upgraded to Chanute, but it took a while before the Land Office could find time to come a do an accurate satelite measure, and all neighbors could being assembled at same time, and approve the new land marker posts. The polite measure-staff – and there are numerous big boss present that day – expects a free lunch in a cozy Thai restaurant (plain, not expensive); I don't think that part of the procedure has changed, so maybe only one upgrade a day...????

I agree. I built my properties 19 years ago on Nor Sor Sam land. I too upgraded to Chanote. Same process. Over the years I have also 'stood in' for my neighbours when they were overseas and could not attend the upgrade process.

As far as I know - no bribes paid. I was asked for money when the guy came round to deliver the house books but I just spoke to him in English. He did not know how to ask for money in English so he just handed over the books.

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 9:44 AM, bluesofa said:

So he thinks he's taken precautions.

I wonder if he's taken the precaution of wearing a bullet-proof vest that will withstand Thai army issued ammunition?

Maybe he'll be allowed out on bail so that he can have an accident... waterfalls?

2 hours ago, wilcopops said:

Duh! That's the whole point of the expression!

We don't know what it meant, it is assumed to have been a common phrase at the time the Old Testament was written, it could refer to gums being left behind after the devil rips your teeth out, or your lips being the only skin left after the devil rips your face off, or the enamel on the teeth being a thin layer of protection, we really have no idea.

23 minutes ago, cheapcanuck said:

Big difference between 800K and 16K. Must have been for more than a hotel licence.

They said it was for building materials. In the end what might be left is that he does not have a hotel license and that he didn't report his guests to the immigration - if I understood the translation of the Thai news report correctly. 

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 2:33 PM, colinneil said:

OK saying he paid 800.000 baht, but who did he pay the money to?

He upset the local hoteliers, and they put the boot in, he needs to learn a lot more about corrupt practices here before spending serious money on any project.

He should have learnt a lot more about Thailand before spending a satang on his project.

Another dumb farang that thought he could break the law and get away with it.

Deserves everything he gets for being stupid.

2 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

We don't know what it meant, it is assumed to have been a common phrase at the time the Old Testament was written, it could refer to gums being left behind after the devil rips your teeth out, or your lips being the only skin left after the devil rips your face off, or the enamel on the teeth being a thin layer of protection, we really have no idea.

LOL.

It's the first thing that comes up when googled. Book of Job.

2 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

A bit overboard. Methinks that you exaggerate. I have been involved in a number of court cases and calls to the police. (7 or 8 at least.) Ranging from murder to theft.

Every single one has been resolved correctly. One might complain about the punishment handed out but correct results every time.

Great, you've had success with your court cases. Good for you. I will stand by my statement of Thailand not having the rule of law. Just because some cases are adjudicated without corruption, doesn't make Thailand a clean country or a country based on the rule of laws. The evidence for corruption, or at least the potential of it, in the Thai legal system is pretty rife (the Red Bull heir; the mysterious large net worths of army generals (typically in the multi-millions of US $) on a salary of $43kUS/yr. yet is not investigated, yet political rivals are put under the microscope; etc.).

Don't take my word for it. If you refer to Transparency International's Corruption Index (https://www.transparency.org/cpi2018) you'll see Thailand ranks at the bottom third.

8 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Here you go, should put it to rest.

by the skin of one's teeth by a very narrow margin; barely : I only got away by the skin of my teeth. [ORIGIN: from a misquotation of Job 19:20: “I am escaped with the skin of my teeth” (i.e., and nothing else). Current use reflects a different sense.]

it's no skin off my nose (or off my back) informal (usually spoken with emphasis on “my”) used to indicate that one is not offended or adversely affected by something: it's no skin off my nose if you don't want dessert.

OKla......have a good weekend. Cheers RtS

On 4/26/2019 at 9:44 AM, bluesofa said:

So he thinks he's taken precautions.

I wonder if he's taken the precaution of wearing a bullet-proof vest that will withstand Thai army issued ammunition?

Very good point Blue sofa, I was living in Philippines when a German business owner had a dispute with the locals, a meeting was held but it did not resolve matters. He died the same day. They could not tell how many bullets had struck him because his lifeless body had been  dragged from his pick truck up and  the aggrieved Filipinos proceeded to run over his body many times with their vehicle . There was a message in all of that but different folk read different newspapers. The golden rule for foreigners in Thailand is to remember it is their country and no Thai has ever heard of the Marquess of Queensberry.  If I were in his position I would take the precaution of moving to Ecuador, quickly.

On 4/26/2019 at 12:41 PM, Kieran00001 said:

Bribing an official is a crime which carries a maxmium sentence of 5 years in prision, you want to moan about corruption, stop fueling it you hypocrite.

How is he a (1) hypocrite (2) fuelling Thai corruption?

The police on Samui are well known to be some of the most lawless and corrupt within Thailand. Is the army any different? Any hopes that they were here to rid the nation of corruption and abuse have faded long ago. 

The army serves one purpose. To protect the elite, the powerful, the police, those that are well connected, super wealthy and themselves. That is the extent of their mandate. That is why they are so corrosive and damaging to the future of the nation. They must go. 

On 4/27/2019 at 4:21 PM, spidermike007 said:

The police on Samui are well known to be some of the most lawless and corrupt within Thailand. Is the army any different? Any hopes that they were here to rid the nation of corruption and abuse have faded long ago. 

The army serves one purpose. To protect the elite, the powerful, the police, those that are well connected, super wealthy and themselves. That is the extent of their mandate. That is why they are so corrosive and damaging to the future of the nation. They must go. 

That entire province is nothing but trouble. Guess what? I avoid it and places like Phuket , Pattaya, Chiang Mai and other foreign slums and never have any problems. Because large groups of of dodgy and brain cooked foreigners attract the worst of the Thais. You guys are meant for each other.

“Respect to the law and how culture in Thailand operates.”? 

Give me me a break. There is no rule of law in Thailand. It’s money above everything else that personifies Thai culture. And before you label me some “Thai Basher” (a silly euphemism often applied to those who speak the truth on this forum) in less than 2 years back in Thailand after living with me in the US, my Thai wife is in the process of being cheated out of land that’s been in her family for decades, and has had to pay thousands of baht to corrupt government officials for a building permit for an extension to our house. I might add that while our extension was built to code, our next door neighbor built a similar extension but did clearly outside of code/illegally. No skin off my/our teeth as it doesn’t impact us, but spare us the drivel about “respect for law and Thai culture.”
Spot on

Sent from my SM-A510F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

So it seems he's got two different places, a larger and a smaller one.... The larger one offered for $187 per night seems to be the name mentioned in the OP article here.... Best World Vision below on the right...

Still, the locals were probably pissed that he was undercutting their prices for comparable offerings.

https://www.airbnb.com/users/show/105303953

147139731_2019-04-2612_52_50.jpg.7fa554735ccff139519f5f67d86d417b.jpg

I am German but have changed country over 200 times in my life - have lived 10 years in California, 5 years in India, 8 years in Brazil among others - but after all I feel Koh Samui the best place and have come here again and again since 37 years. Since 5 years I have settled on this beautiful island and built 2 villas according to my own plans, combing all what I have learned from living only in hotels for over 10 years - so I will be able to give you many good tips if you like.
and you can try my complementary therapy devices that you see on the picture - Villa rental is just a hobby for me - if you want to see what I do for a living you can put my name KIRAN SCHMIDT into (SENSITIVE CONTENTS HIDDEN) or youtube
Also 50% of the net-profit goes to children charity - so I when you are here I can show you where your money is going to help

Hmmm......  have to wonder....

Most prop grassed by another greedy dishonest farang scumui full of em

Sent from my SM-A510F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 4/29/2019 at 7:43 AM, Mitkof Island said:

That entire province is nothing but trouble. Guess what? I avoid it and places like Phuket , Pattaya, Chiang Mai and other foreign slums and never have any problems. Because large groups of of dodgy and brain cooked foreigners attract the worst of the Thais. You guys are meant for each other.

Another patronising, know-all git.

Archived