This is Thailand! Farangs confused by wacky Thai roads

webfact

This is Thailand! Farangs confused by wacky Thai roads

9pm.jpg

Caption: Cannot proceed

Sanook said that farangs in Thailand were confused by some of the things they see on the roads and sidewalks of Thailand. 

This followed a post by Jan Willem De Lindvanwijngaarden that received a lot of attention on the "TIT - This is Thailand" page on Facebook. 

Jan included two pictures - one showed a fence that stopped people using a zebra crossing in Bang Saen Chonburi. 

tsnbg3wsbdng7ijm7cp35f29jgzwb.jpg

The other showed posts blocking a bicycle lane near the end of Sukhumvit Soi 65 in Bangkok. 

These appeared to be to stop motorcycles with posters suggesting that bicycles could still get through, albeit having to slow down to do so. 

tsnbg3wsbdng7ijm7cp35f29jgzwb_1.jpg

Sanook said that posters online were calling on the authorities to solve these anomalies in Chonburi and Bangkok.

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-04-26

I don't think that Thais are stupid, far from it, but they definitely have this work-ethic of not being responsible for anything, let the boss do the thinking and planning and we'll just do some menial labour to get our pay. Only problem is that the project manager is probably round at his mia noi's house drinking siam sato, where he's been for the last week or so.

In other countries, workers would undoubtedly be sacked for this kind of work, and not be able to get construction work again, in Thailand everyone just shrugs their shoulders and then they move onto the next job. I'm sure that the Thai school system is partly responsible, where all students will pass no matter how little work they do, hence there is no real failure, and no real need to think too much in Thai society which is why these kinds of things happen. This is just an observation, no offence intended at all, I much prefer being in Thailand amongst Thai people than being back in London.

32 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The utter stupidity and lack of common sense here never ceases to amaze me. The only reaction is to have a good laugh and carry on.

These are so many of these defamatory and borderline abusive posts, by the above poster and many others on TV. Obviously been here for so long they have gone senile and cynical.

Dont forget that you are only a guest in this country and it is your choice to be here.

I am sure that some Thai officials would read these posts. Not all that surprising to see the tightening of immigration rules. If I was a Thai, I would certainly want to wheedle out the cynical ones who are obviously not happy with their life in Thailand.

So, if you don’t like it here, do us all a favour and go back to your homeland.

14 minutes ago, SteveK said:

I don't think that Thais are stupid, far from it, but they definitely have this work-ethic of not being responsible for anything, let the boss do the thinking and planning and we'll just do some menial labour to get our pay.

You write that as if they have an option.

14 minutes ago, ianezy0 said:

I am sure that some Thai officials would read these posts. Not all that surprising to see the tightening of immigration rules. If I was a Thai, I would certainly want to wheedle out the cynical ones who are obviously not happy with their life in Thailand.

I'm amazed that some of the guys posting here don't realize how much their contempt for the locals poisons their relationships with those locals.  And poisons the locals' perception of all of us. 

With over 80% of our communication being non-verbal, that much contempt can't help but come through- regardless of how flowery their verbal interactions.  Flowery and condescending are real closely related.  And, according to studies, there is nothing that poisons a relationship worse than contempt.  (From data in one of Malcolm Gladwell's books- I forget which one)

I agree most of us would be better off if they did leave.  Never mind the peace of mind that one loses when they live among people for whom they have utter contempt.  Sadly, the power of the poon is strong with this bunch.

29 minutes ago, ianezy0 said:

These are so many of these defamatory and borderline abusive posts, by the above poster and many others on TV. Obviously been here for so long they have gone senile and cynical.

Dont forget that you are only a guest in this country and it is your choice to be here.

We have been blessed with a double whammy of ThaiVisa's galactically crappy responses...  firstly, "You are a guest in this Country"  and secondly "if you don't like it go home"... Boom, kaa-ching...  you've won the lottery of dumbass response used by scores of posters feigning faux outrage at those who have criticized valid issues... 

So, ianezy0 - what do you say to the Thai's who have exactly the same criticism of the highlighted issues? and also blame it on corruption and idiots in positions they shouldn't be?

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

We have been blessed with a double whammy of ThaiVisa's galactically crappy responses...  firstly, "You are a guest in this Country"  and secondly "if you don't like it go home"... Boom, kaa-ching...  you've won the lottery of dumbass response used by scores of posters feigning faux outrage at those who have criticized valid issues... 

So, ianezy0 - what do you say to the Thai's who have exactly the same criticism of the highlighted issues? and also blame it on corruption and idiots in positions they shouldn't be?

There's a huge difference between criticizing valid issues, and calling our hosts a bunch of dumbshits based on standards, economic factors, and a culture we left behind.  Many came to Thailand because they didn't like it back home, either.  Seems like wherever they go, there they are.

Poisoning the locals against us with that kind of contempt is inexcusable.  And the expat population as whole would fare better without that behavior.  And since a lot of them are incapable of changing, a one way outbound flight seems like a valid -and rather humane- suggestion.  I think they'd be genuinely happier where they don't hold such contempt for the locals around them.

tsnbg3wsbdng7ijm7cp35f29jgzwb_1.jpg

It is not just us who are confused but also Thais partly because of the education system but also due to lack of receiving the correct information.  Read the text from Ratchanon Khunprom.  It is next to a sign for a bicycle lane which (s)he calls it one for a wheelchair.

'nuf sed.

9 hours ago, ianezy0 said:

I love these 'aliens', as the Thais like to call us, telling those who have legitimate comments to go back where we came from. How very original of you. Never mind that some, many, of us have family here. Just do it the Thai way and walk out on them because it's 'too hard' to stick around.

As far as I am aware, immigration does not ban people from the country for pointing out some of the absurd things that go on here. They probably agree with many of the comments but are powerless to change anything, such as the daily carnage on the roads or the pretty much useless education system. Which is why things stay the same. Some, though, who do have influence might even want to correct any wrongs they read about - not to please the aliens but to better the image of the country.

I'm sure there are many who are perfectly happy with the low standards so often seen in Thailand. It suggests that they were unhappy with the higher standards of where they came from and adopted Thailand as their home so they don't have to try too hard to keep up.

10 hours ago, ianezy0 said:

Oh Newbie, your stay on TV is not going be a pleasant one with this attitude.

The 2 things that will get your severely flamed on TV are "guest in this country" and "go back to your homeland" in a post. These are considered cliche, weak and predictable and they reduce your virgin credibility to less than zero.

But Newbie, you will probably get some slack because you are new, and you are still learning. Your attitudes will change. They all do. 

Welcome to the Thunderdome.

28 minutes ago, DLock said:

I remember when I was this naive fifteen years ago.  Then a whole lot of stuff happened to darken my rose-tinted spectacles: police ripping me off; wife ripping me off; lawyers ripping me off.  Don't get me even started on estate agents! 

Archived