This is Thailand! Farangs confused by wacky Thai roads

webfact

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

We have been blessed with a double whammy of ThaiVisa's galactically crappy responses...  firstly, "You are a guest in this Country"  and secondly "if you don't like it go home"... Boom, kaa-ching...  you've won the lottery of dumbass response used by scores of posters feigning faux outrage at those who have criticized valid issues... 

So, ianezy0 - what do you say to the Thai's who have exactly the same criticism of the highlighted issues? and also blame it on corruption and idiots in positions they shouldn't be?

It’s their country and can respond how they wish. Ferangs also have freedom of speech and can do so without being offensive. So get educated and respond appropriately

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I love these 'aliens', as the Thais like to call us, telling those who have legitimate comments to go back where we came from. How very original of you. Never mind that some, many, of us have family here. Just do it the Thai way and walk out on them because it's 'too hard' to stick around.

As far as I am aware, immigration does not ban people from the country for pointing out some of the absurd things that go on here. They probably agree with many of the comments but are powerless to change anything, such as the daily carnage on the roads or the pretty much useless education system. Which is why things stay the same. Some, though, who do have influence might even want to correct any wrongs they read about - not to please the aliens but to better the image of the country.

I'm sure there are many who are perfectly happy with the low standards so often seen in Thailand. It suggests that they were unhappy with the higher standards of where they came from and adopted Thailand as their home so they don't have to try too hard to keep up.

Hey, I  agree with all comments regarding the road issues. It’s the offensive comments I disagree with

11 minutes ago, ianezy0 said:

Hey, I  agree with all comments regarding the road issues. It’s the offensive comments I disagree with

The comments are only offensive to those who are too juvenile to accept criticism. Many Thais fit into that category, as a look through posts on Facebook that might be critical of the country will prove. Plenty of 'don't talk bad about Thailand' from those oversensitive souls who have been brainwashed since birth to believe that everything is perfect in Thailand and therefore above criticism. Adults can weigh up criticism and decide how to respond, other than by condemning the messenger. Those with the mind of a child - that education system again - cannot.

5 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I love these 'aliens', as the Thais like to call us, telling those who have legitimate comments to go back where we came from. How very original of you. Never mind that some, many, of us have family here. Just do it the Thai way and walk out on them because it's 'too hard' to stick around.

As far as I am aware, immigration does not ban people from the country for pointing out some of the absurd things that go on here. They probably agree with many of the comments but are powerless to change anything, such as the daily carnage on the roads or the pretty much useless education system. Which is why things stay the same. Some, though, who do have influence might even want to correct any wrongs they read about - not to please the aliens but to better the image of the country.

I'm sure there are many who are perfectly happy with the low standards so often seen in Thailand. It suggests that they were unhappy with the higher standards of where they came from and adopted Thailand as their home so they don't have to try too hard to keep up.

I questioned my IO who usually deals with my 90 day reporting as to it's purpose. Threw his hands in the air and gave me the"<deleted> if I know" look. Agreed that it was completely pointless and didn't deport me.

11 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I questioned my IO who usually deals with my 90 day reporting as to it's purpose. Threw his hands in the air and gave me the"<deleted> if I know" look. Agreed that it was completely pointless and didn't deport me.

It isn't pointless. It's to show that they are in control. No other purpose. A mild form of intimidation.

8 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It isn't pointless. It's to show that they are in control. No other purpose. A mild form of intimidation.

555 Well they failed miserably there! I try to make it 5 minutes of fun and the IO appreciates me putting a smile on his face during his otherwise boring day. Then it's off to lunch in a nice little restaurant in Jomtien with the wife. We both look forward to my 90 day reports.

If you feel intimidated just do it online. Another service Immigration have done their best to provide just to make the farang's life easier.

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

555 Well they failed miserably there! I try to make it 5 minutes of fun and the IO appreciates me putting a smile on his face during his otherwise boring day. Then it's off to lunch in a nice little restaurant in Jomtien with the wife. We both look forward to my 90 day reports.

If you feel intimidated just do it online. Another service Immigration have done their best to provide just to make the farang's life easier.

I have no need of the 90 day report nonsense. I play their silly game by simply leaving the country for an hour or less each 90 days. I'm less than two hours from Mukdahan so just go shopping for Beer Lao and Lao coffee and am back home in time for lunch ????

18 hours ago, impulse said:

I'm amazed that some of the guys posting here don't realize how much their contempt for the locals poisons their relationships with those locals.  And poisons the locals' perception of all of us. 

With over 80% of our communication being non-verbal, that much contempt can't help but come through- regardless of how flowery their verbal interactions.  Flowery and condescending are real closely related.  And, according to studies, there is nothing that poisons a relationship worse than contempt.  (From data in one of Malcolm Gladwell's books- I forget which one)

I agree most of us would be better off if they did leave.  Never mind the peace of mind that one loses when they live among people for whom they have utter contempt.  Sadly, the power of the poon is strong with this bunch.

I respect your post but disagree with it in almost its entirety. 

It reads as if with an implicit assumption that Thais would, under different circumstances, be suddenly not deeply xenophobic and plain racist towards most of us. 

Many of us don't believe that to be true. And, that includes many of us who have lived here for DECADES and been very successful and dealt with and had relationships with Thais from all walks of life. And yet been disappointed so many times and so consistently by Thais that we've accepted them for what they are. 

2 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

I respect your post but disagree with it in almost its entirety. 

It reads as if with an implicit assumption that Thais would, under different circumstances, be suddenly not deeply xenophobic and plain racist towards most of us. 

Many of us don't believe that to be true. And, that includes many of us who have lived here for DECADES and been very successful and dealt with and had relationships with Thais from all walks of life. And yet been disappointed so many times and so consistently by Thais that we've accepted them for what they are. 

Your reasonable response to someone you disagree with is probably why you thrive in Thailand, or wherever you choose to live.

7 hours ago, Spidey said:

Unfortunately, not every area in Thailand has the facilities for (or rather: have bothered to set up) online 90-day reporting. Some places not only do not provide online reporting, but will not even allow one to send in one's form by snail mail. So one is forced to waste a lot of time travelling to the Immigration office (which can sometimes be rather out-of-the-way) and present one's bit of paper to the 'officer' in person.

Unbelievable in this day and age - but true. And typical of Thailand's shambolic way of running things.

On 4/27/2019 at 4:56 PM, Fex Bluse said:

that we've accepted them for what they are. 

I see nothing out of the ordinary in any of the pictures. In this country we (farangs) are the ones out of the ordinary. 

We simply need to change to become part of society. Or maybe like the Borg we need to be assimilated.

Then the out of the ordinary will become the ordinary.

On 4/26/2019 at 10:12 PM, SteveK said:

I don't think that Thais are stupid, far from it, but they definitely have this work-ethic of not being responsible for anything, let the boss do the thinking and planning and we'll just do some menial labour to get our pay. Only problem is that the project manager is probably round at his mia noi's house drinking siam sato, where he's been for the last week or so.

Far from stupid , as in intelligent ?

BTS skytrain ramp going to nowhere. Thinking and planning.

Ok as long as every one got paid+kickbacks  

Can get paid again to sort it out.

1218172860_ScreenShot2019-04-29at21_28_13.png.5c1ebaecb96a8f5474790be54e6544f5.png

1636826417_ScreenShot2019-04-29at21_18_53.png.3c8caa0692df1abc1329374d6afb67d0.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/3/2019 at 7:45 AM, VocalNeal said:

I see nothing out of the ordinary in any of the pictures. In this country we (farangs) are the ones out of the ordinary. 

We simply need to change to become part of society. Or maybe like the Borg we need to be assimilated.

Then the out of the ordinary will become the ordinary.

imageproxy_php.jpg.000ae0d83618504f96ba0ceab8537850.jpgExactly , totally normal in thailand. This is not Singapore.

Falunks should assimilate.

The thais are low IQ and poorly educated.

People should stop judging them by western standards.

Lucky it wasn't a high speed rail line 

Makes a lot more sense when you know an elder ghost lives there.

300597356_ScreenShot2019-05-04at08_17_45.png.0dd48cf16878458362405802903389e1.png156436482_ScreenShot2019-05-04at08_18_03.png.0360cc75e6e545b12cf1b1ee07310f0b.png

1 hour ago, bluebluewater said:
On 4/26/2019 at 12:36 PM, impulse said:

Seems like wherever they go, there they are.

Profound - I really love this comment.  You had to think a lot about this didn't you?

I wish I could take credit for it...

It is one of life's greatest ironies that, no matter how much we want to be different, wherever we go, there we are. There's just no getting away from ourselves. Go on holiday -- there we are. Win the lottery -- there we are. Move overseas -- there we are. Wherever we look, we are looking out of the same pair of eyes; whatever we do, it's still the same body doing it.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/wherever-you-go-there-you-are_n_858112

Yes, Thailand is no perfect - who would have expected that?

And if people open their eyes and are a little flexible then that isn't really a problem.

But obviously for all those people who run around with a phone or tablet in front of their face it's high risk. Maybe those smombies should think about what the risk is.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/23/2019 at 4:18 AM, yodsak said:

300597356_ScreenShot2019-05-04at08_17_45.png.0dd48cf16878458362405802903389e1.png

Now, after reading the above you would think that this sort of thing could never happen in a modern western country. Then you read how a motorway in NZ had to be diverted for a "taniwha", a mythical monster.

Sanook said that farangs in Thailand were confused by some of the things they see on the roads and sidewalks of Thailand. 

I'm confident that ladyboys and cheap prostitutes were part of it. 

But wait, prostitution does not exist in Thailand. ???? 

I'm just confused about why "Sanook" is calling foreigners Farangs.

I've met "James" a nice guy from a more developed country on a Thai sidewalk when he's walking his dog. 

Stray dogs.png

On 5/23/2019 at 4:18 AM, yodsak said:

imageproxy_php.jpg.000ae0d83618504f96ba0ceab8537850.jpgExactly , totally normal in thailand. This is not Singapore.

Falunks should assimilate.

The thais are low IQ and poorly educated.

People should stop judging them by western standards.

Lucky it wasn't a high speed rail line 

300597356_ScreenShot2019-05-04at08_17_45.png.0dd48cf16878458362405802903389e1.png156436482_ScreenShot2019-05-04at08_18_03.png.0360cc75e6e545b12cf1b1ee07310f0b.png

When we tried to cut it down, a voice told us: Buy the 555555 lottery number this week and we'd really won 16 million baht!!

I guess I'll never understand why people make jokes about ghosts. 

Archived