Are retirees welcome in Thailand?

There's been alot of changes in the past year, do you enjoy your relaxing retirement period of life - well be aware and don't ever forget for one second, you have to remember to:

800k in a bank policy. Has now been extended to 6 months kept in the bank, do not touch it. You will risk the opportunity of staying another year if you do.
Every year you need to do the same process if you plan to 'continue your retirement break another year
90 day reporting on your every move or get fined/risk your future stay
TM30 - You will be fined and risk your future stay if you don't keep up with 24 hours notice when you arrive/leave your premises, condo owners are not responsible anymore

So don't forget for a second, always have it in your mind - no one wants to slip up and forget the rules

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, madmen said:

Whats the point of this thread? and why the drama?

Future stay for TM30 and 90 day report?...thats just nonsense. You pay your fine and off you go

I remember when the argument was just '90 days report, just pay the fine and off you go'

This year its 'TM30 and 90 day report', i wonder whats next

11 minutes ago, Yeahbutwhytho said:

What office is asking for a TM30 report when doing a 90 day report.

I have never been asked for TM30 form in all the years I have been here.

No problem to do the 90 day reports.

I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

What office is asking for a TM30 report when doing a 90 day report.

I have never been asked for TM30 form in all the years I have been here.

No problem to do the 90 reports.

I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill.

You can be fined for TM30 when doing the extension, or if they rock up at your condo to ask

Yes - there are no reports of getting fined during 90 day reporting however, I meant in general you must do a tm30 everytime you leave/arrive

16 minutes ago, Yeahbutwhytho said:

I remember when the argument was just '90 days report, just pay the fine and off you go'

Pointless medical reports, some already have to go through that one. Having to report within 24 hours after re entry is another pointless one. If you have been at the same address for 15 years and they already have 100 bits of paper with the same address on it gets tiresome.

1 minute ago, from the home of CC said:

as long as you really have some money retirees are more than welcome here..

For the moment money in your homeland is also sufficient for many nationalities. 

If they wanted/needed extra money (from fines) they could just increase the fees

Instead you are running through extra hoops, and made a criminal if you dont. And don't mistake it - people saying 'just pay the fine and move on', it may look like a 'bill' you're paying as a service but in reality you are actually being fined for breaking a law. 

2 minutes ago, Benroon said:

So the OP basically asks a general question about retirement enjoyment which was just a front for more ranting - getting well dreary now ! 

I've seen numerous threads get closed down for constant repetition …..

Its more a helpful reminder

Did you do your TM30 today?

49 minutes ago, Yeahbutwhytho said:

800k in a bank policy. Has now been extended to 6 months kept in the bank, do not touch it. You will risk the opportunity of staying another year if you do.

always had that from day one. five years now 800k plus 365/24/7 in the bank. total non issue for me.

TM30 - You will be fined and risk your future stay if you don't keep up with 24 hours notice when you arrive/leave your premises, condo owners are not responsible anymore

i travel extensively all over Thailand and leave the country every other year and i have never reported my address in five years except the very first time I moved here. Renting the same house five years. I have never had a bad experience with Thai immigration. 

So don't forget for a second, always have it in your mind - no one wants to slip up and forget the rules

the Intercontinental Hotel is having a wine tasting this afternoon.

1 minute ago, NCC1701A said:

i travel extensively all over Thailand and leave the country every other year and i have never reported my address in five years except the very first time I moved here. Same house five years. I have never had a bad experience with Thai immigration. 

Look you're very right about that, its not confirmed that it is even vigorously looked for - thats all just speculation from the number of threads we're seeing about people getting fined/IO rocking up at the door knocking where your tm30 is so you're right

Once its confirmed I'll post another thread 

To the OP,

I feel very welcomed... I have no problem with meeting Immigration requirements, have no problem with 90-day reports (only did 1 in the past 3 years due to traveling) and I never had to file a TM30 or pay a fine on behalf of my condo leasing company. So, my life in retirement in the LOS has been wonderful.

26 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

You could try Australia. If you are white we might let you in.

At a great cost to even apply for a Visa, sometimes more than 20,000AUD 

They are very welcoming especially if you are not from a Commonwealth WHITE country (not)

22 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

always had that from day one. five years now 800k plus 365/24/7 in the bank. total non issue for me.

i travel extensively all over Thailand and leave the country every other year and i have never reported my address in five years except the very first time I moved here. Renting the same house five years. I have never had a bad experience with Thai immigration. 

the Intercontinental Hotel is having a wine tasting this afternoon.

Be NO Jacobs Creek on the tasting list I bet ????

1 hour ago, Yeahbutwhytho said:

I don't really have a problem with this - everyone needs to have money in the bank, after all.

The problem I have is the ridiculous assertion that this 800K (for five months) and 400K (all year round) is supposed to be our good-faith demonstration that we have sufficient funds to support ourselves in our retirement, but then telling us that we can't touch the money to - wait for it - support ourselves in our retirement.

Call it a 400K retirement bond or something, and let us keep it in a CD or other high-yield vehicle instead of a savings account.  But don't pretend that this is money we can use if we have a sudden urgent need to sustain our retirement while living here.

56 minutes ago, Yeahbutwhytho said:

pattaya will announce the new TM711 form, required within 24 minutes (online) whenever subject leaves registered residence for the purpose of purchasing alcoholic beverages between the hours of 10pm and 7am.

must be signed by store clerk and manager of convenience store, and witnessed by condominimum security staff, with timestamps both upon leaving and returning to condo premises.

three (photos) of subject with alcoholic beverage must be uploaded as confirmation of purchase and ingestion.  photo one (1) at counter of convenience store with clerk pointing at bottle(s).  photo (2) should show subject re-entering premises with bottle(s) showing visible contents.  photo (3) must be taken in bedroom empty bottle on floor.  subject's feet must be visible and must be wearing maroon socks.

2 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

pattaya will announce the new TM711 form, required within 24 minutes (online) whenever subject leaves registered residence for the purpose of purchasing alcoholic beverages between the hours of 10pm and 7am.

must be signed by store clerk and manager of convenience store, and witnessed by condominimum security staff, with timestamps both upon leaving and returning to condo premises.

three (photos) of subject with alcoholic beverage must be uploaded as confirmation of purchase and ingestion.  photo one (1) at counter of convenience store with clerk pointing at bottle(s).  photo (2) should show subject re-entering premises with bottle(s) showing visible contents.  photo (3) must be taken in bedroom empty bottle on floor.  subject's feet must be visible and must be wearing maroon socks.

"Sorry mister, can you please sign my permission slip"

It is nothing short of mind boggling the yearly nonsense you have to go through for a retirement extension, 90 day reporting, and now more TM forms.  Of course western retirees are not welcome.

The irony of all this, is western countries treat Thais much differently when they reside in their countries. Thais are not hounded every year with visa extensions, there is no 90 day reporting unless you are on parole from prison, and TM forms or any other forms to fill out every time you turn around are not required. ????     

1 hour ago, Yeahbutwhytho said:

You can be fined for TM30 when doing the extension, or if they rock up at your condo to ask

Yes - there are no reports of getting fined during 90 day reporting however, I meant in general you must do a tm30 everytime you leave/arrive

Immigration Jomtien does not require by arriving back Thailand a TM30 report if same address is where you stay as a Ret.Ext holder 

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

Pointless medical reports, some already have to go through that one. Having to report within 24 hours after re entry is another pointless one. If you have been at the same address for 15 years and they already have 100 bits of paper with the same address on it gets tiresome.

Never done a TM30, medical report, only 90 days report and annual extensions...for 7 years here in P'lok.

Sure, they are welcome, temporarily, like Snow Birds, hence the 90-day Non-Immigrant visa.  Farangs sign up for that then do the old switcharoo.   Like that dude you let park his RV/Caravan in your driveway temporarily, and then keeps asking for extensions, says he's "put down roots!" and "Has a life!".  :giggle:

image.png.4100113b0c40e6469169ccf24115539f.png

Archived