Are retirees welcome in Thailand?

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Yeahbutwhytho said:

TM30 - You will be fined and risk your future stay if you don't keep up with 24 hours notice when you arrive/leave your premises, condo owners are not responsible anymore

? Are you saying if it's not your condo you are responsible for doing it?

Anyway, it's not really a big deal provided one is near an immigration office and if not just do it at the police station, like they say. That's what I did.

32 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

pattaya will announce the new TM711 form, required within 24 minutes (online) whenever subject leaves registered residence for the purpose of purchasing alcoholic beverages between the hours of 10pm and 7am.

must be signed by store clerk and manager of convenience store, and witnessed by condominimum security staff, with timestamps both upon leaving and returning to condo premises.

three (photos) of subject with alcoholic beverage must be uploaded as confirmation of purchase and ingestion.  photo one (1) at counter of convenience store with clerk pointing at bottle(s).  photo (2) should show subject re-entering premises with bottle(s) showing visible contents.  photo (3) must be taken in bedroom empty bottle on floor.  subject's feet must be visible and must be wearing maroon socks.

Immigration Lt. General Pingpongplopadop was lauded by the Prime Minster last week for his ground-breaking proposal to build and install another row of Immigration desks at Swampy; after the existing ones but before the baggage claim carousals. 

Concept is you land, check in with the first Immigration officer who registers your return to Thailand.  Step 2 is long-stay extension holders proceed to the next set of Immigration desks to report their return "home", while their Thai wife fills out a TM30 to reaffirm she has a farang alien living in her house.  

Very sensible and efficient.  :thumbsup:

5 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Immigration Lt. General Pingpongplopadop was lauded by the Prime Minster last week for his ground-breaking proposal to build and install another row of Immigration desks at Swampy; after the existing ones but before the baggage claim carousals. 

Concept is you land, check in with the first Immigration officer who registers your return to Thailand.  Step 2 is long-stay extension holders proceed to the next set of Immigration desks to report their return "home", while their Thai wife fills out a TM30 to reaffirm she has a farang alien living in her house.  

So that means  another row of  desks outside the arrivals exit to  allow /permit   entry of  wifes/GF or Landlords etc who were not also on any flight?

Amazing  concept !

Yeah....riiiight!

Don't forget as a retiree, you will also need 20,000 baht in your pocket at all times, plus 10,000 - 50,000 rent for your wife/girlfriend per month and your own spoon for yogurt from the 7-11.  

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

Having to report within 24 hours after re entry is another pointless one. If you have been at the same address for 15 years and they already have 100 bits of paper with the same address on it gets tiresome.

That's why Immigration Offices like the one at Pattaya don't ask for TM.30 to retirees if their address didn't change. :cool::cool:????

1 hour ago, 55Jay said:

why not just a desk or two for returnees to self-report their return with a tm30?  cool beans!  so when i travel, in addition to my personal luggage, i need to carry a file cabinet with rental agreement, copies of all previous tm30's and 90-day extensions, birth certificate, dd-214, landlord's id, photocopy of landlord's footprint to scale showing actual shoe size, and medical records for my pet ocelot?

1 hour ago, 55Jay said:

51 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

So that means  another row of  desks outside the arrivals exit to  allow /permit   entry of  wifes/GF or Landlords etc who were not also on any flight?

Amazing  concept !

Yeah....riiiight!

Aw, you reject his visionary "One Stop Shop" proposal. 

We must embrace and encourage this kind of progressive thinking "outside the box". 

Truth be told, Lt. Gen Pingpong hijacked this concept from the retail loss prevention industry here in Thailand, but is passing it off as his own and will probably get a new ribbon to wear on his uniform.

The 24-hour redundant Immigration report is the same concept as the receipt check at many large chain stores in Thailand.  You know, the one where you pay the cashier, he/she puts the items into a (plastic) bag, then you take 3 steps toward the car park but get held up by a goon with a red ink stamp, who literally just watched the entire transaction 4 seconds before.

I don't take it personally.  Thais don't trust each other so there's less than zero reasons why they would ever take my word for anything.

13 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

why not just a desk or two for returnees to self-report their return with a tm30?  cool beans!  so when i travel, in addition to my personal luggage, i need to carry a file cabinet with rental agreement, copies of all previous tm30's and 90-day extensions, birth certificate, dd-214, landlord's id, photocopy of landlord's footprint to scale showing actual shoe size, and medical records for my pet ocelot?

Perfectly reasonable. :thumbsup: 

You should submit your ideas to Immigration's suggestion box so Maj. General WingWingtingtong can steal it.  Wait, do they have suggestion boxes?  You might need to suggest that first.  

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 7:22 PM, ChouDoufu said:

None of that is necessary for a TM 30.

If you rephrase the question from "Are retirees welcome in Thailand?" to "Is money welcome in Thailand?" then it's easier to answer.  Yes.  Money is welcome in Thailand.  Leave the money as fast as you can then get the heck out.  Foreigners are not 'welcome' here.  Their money is 'welcome.'  The foreigner is just barely tolerated.  That's why Thai authorities track foreigners with more scrutiny than a Thai murderer on parole.   That's how you are looked upon - potential criminal simply waiting to commit a crime.  
If I had to do it over again, I would never have married a Thai and I would have been spending my retirement is a country which is friendly toward expat retirees.  Thailand is not one of those countries.

My first retirement visa went pretty smoothly and the CW staff seemed to be quite welcoming. I used an agent. For renewing I did it myself. The old bat made me feel unwelcome and warned me that next time she wants my child to get an education visa and not follow mine (my kid was 15 at the time). I told the ImO that yes it is possible but why when child can follow my visa which is not so much work. No reply just a dirty look. 

27 minutes ago, connda said:

...  That's how you are looked upon - potential criminal simply waiting to commit a crime.  
If I had to do it over again, I would never have married a Thai and I would have been spending my retirement is a country which is friendly toward expat retirees.  Thailand is not one of those countries.

Your opinion is influenced by your bad experience in Thailand
Personally, I do not feel at all like being taken for a criminal potential; I have a very good relationship with Thai people, every day they show me that they appreciate me, but of course it depends of everybody's experience , so I admit your opinion but it's your opinion

50 minutes ago, connda said:

If you rephrase the question from "Are retirees welcome in Thailand?" to "Is money welcome in Thailand?" then it's easier to answer.  Yes.  Money is welcome in Thailand.  Leave the money as fast as you can then get the heck out.  Foreigners are not 'welcome' here.  Their money is 'welcome.'  The foreigner is just barely tolerated.  That's why Thai authorities track foreigners with more scrutiny than a Thai murderer on parole.   That's how you are looked upon - potential criminal simply waiting to commit a crime.  

Agree 100% with this, the longer I have been here the more I see what most Thais are really like and have become more aware of the deep seated corruption, hypocrisy and ignorance. laws mean nothing here, the only thing that matters is money. I have been told to 'go home' more than once by an angry (complete stranger) in public. I feel anti foreigner sentiments have worsened since 2014, that's just my opinion. You only have to look at how immigration gets more onerous all the time to get an idea of official feelings about foreigners.

50 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

"800k in a bank policy. Has now been extended to 6 months kept inthe bank".

Where did you hear that?

Its avtually possible 8 months now.

2 months before. 3 months after. Two months before you renew but if you renew a month early thst equates to 3 months. So posdible 8 months.. 

1 hour ago, RBOP said:

My first retirement visa went pretty smoothly and the CW staff seemed to be quite welcoming. I used an agent. For renewing I did it myself. The old bat made me feel unwelcome and warned me that next time she wants my child to get an education visa and not follow mine (my kid was 15 at the time). I told the ImO that yes it is possible but why when child can follow my visa which is not so much work. No reply just a dirty look. 

You assume that Thai are fluent in English when half the time they don't understand what you are saying especially when you talk fast or use slang.

That's why I have been learning Thai and speaking to them in Thai. Or I speak real slow English ....

On 4/26/2019 at 12:03 PM, Yeahbutwhytho said:

Look you're very right about that, its not confirmed that it is even vigorously looked for - thats all just speculation from the number of threads we're seeing about people getting fined/IO rocking up at the door knocking where your tm30 is so you're right

Once its confirmed I'll post another thread 

My experience much the same as the poster you replied to and id say theres many more that have never been fined in many years.

My possible theory on this: 

The oldest address entered for your P.P remain the one the system knows.

As long as the same address is entered each occasion, theres no change.

But If another hotel or landlord should file you for stay at a different place  (even short stay) it messes up your original recorded address and flags you, asking for a match or another TM3.

that would explain why most people never have this issue as most Thai landlord wouldnt know or bother with reporting

On 4/26/2019 at 11:40 AM, from the home of CC said:

as long as you really have some money retirees are more than welcome here..

sorry to disagree, money or no money they don't care about retirees, they prefer the ins and outs or 2-3 day stay easy money, retirees are a PIA all year around they complain about anything and everything, tourists on the other hand are much easier to handle

Archived