Are retirees welcome in Thailand?

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/26/2019 at 11:38 AM, Yeahbutwhytho said:

You can be fined for TM30 when doing the extension, or if they rock up at your condo to ask

Yes - there are no reports of getting fined during 90 day reporting however, I meant in general you must do a tm30 everytime you leave/arrive

I, or should I say my wife got fined 800 Bt for not reporting change of address when I did my 90 day report.

On 4/26/2019 at 11:40 AM, from the home of CC said:

as long as you really have some money retirees are more than welcome here..

Yes, especially it you get an Elite Visa, as you get little back in return for it.

On 4/26/2019 at 6:20 AM, Johnny Rotten said:

It's a Joke. Where else in the world would you have to fill in all these forms and go though all the hoops?

Well, therefore we are all here. We are tired to live in our home country without contact to police, immigration, forms and rioting neighbours, ......to continue 

14 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Almost everywhere.

Anyone that actually believes that hasn't looked at the retirement visa programs around the world. Thailand has entered another level of expatriate annoyances. The message is kind of clear. Don't get too comfortable, more like don't get comfortable AT ALL. 

1 hour ago, mike787 said:

I understand what you are saying.  However, read "exactly" below what is stated. You BOTH make valid points. However, the FACTS are different in his circumstance - NO selfie stick used.  Dealing with each IO is as different as the moods swings in a schizophrenic mind; there is a complete disconnect of Thai immigration law from office to office, to orfficer  to orfficer (pun intended) etc, etc as posted by many TVF members over the years, especially more recently. 

Where is the pun,  intended or otherwise? 

37 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Rules are fine if they are fair, so why make a vast majority of decent people suffer because of a very small amount of undesirables.

The Thai authorities should go and round up that small amount of them, or is that too much like work? 

If you were an aboriginal would you think the rules fair where you live?  Of course not.  Rules are decided by the dominant majority and the minorities have to live with them in any society. 

On 4/26/2019 at 2:38 PM, 55Jay said:

Aw, you reject his visionary "One Stop Shop" proposal. 

We must embrace and encourage this kind of progressive thinking "outside the box". 

Truth be told, Lt. Gen Pingpong hijacked this concept from the retail loss prevention industry here in Thailand, but is passing it off as his own and will probably get a new ribbon to wear on his uniform.

The 24-hour redundant Immigration report is the same concept as the receipt check at many large chain stores in Thailand.  You know, the one where you pay the cashier, he/she puts the items into a (plastic) bag, then you take 3 steps toward the car park but get held up by a goon with a red ink stamp, who literally just watched the entire transaction 4 seconds before.

I don't take it personally.  Thais don't trust each other so there's less than zero reasons why they would ever take my word for anything.

Makro UK, implemented this, cant blame the Thais for this one.....

They are over regulating themselves out of the retiree market.

Its the retirees who are having the control by simply comparing best deals from various destinations.

Lately Thailand hasn’t done anything to make it more attractive for retirees coming over. Its transforming much more into a 30 days holiday destination.

7 hours ago, Aforek said:

Your opinion is influenced by your bad experience in Thailand
Personally, I do not feel at all like being taken for a criminal potential; I have a very good relationship with Thai people, every day they show me that they appreciate me, but of course it depends of everybody's experience , so I admit your opinion but it's your opinion

I have a good relationship with Thai people too, as long as they don't wear a uniform.:cheesy:

3 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

All we really want is a single set of rules. One that is understood by both sides. One that is the same wherever you live and one that is adhered to. Fine if the rules change sometimes but consistency would mean everything.

Dream on.

4 hours ago, aussieinphuket said:

again and i will just say this is one of the reasons why i decided to take the Thai Elite card for 5 years

as sick and tired of all the paper work and the constant chopping and changing of their so called rules we farangs must jump through hoops for... i know its expensive but for peace of mind for 5 yrs i will happily take it again when mine and my wife expire.....  no paper work, no going to immigration, no bank records and letter form banks, no deposit of thb800k or 1.600.000 thb for married couple..... thank you

now the 90 day reporting is even different how many times will it change a few years ago we just had to go to immigration given them our passport with our tm30 arrival card and they would print a slip of paper out and staple into the back of your passport, now all changed need various copies of pages etc then you use to be able to take wife passport and just hand it over and do for her no now they want to see her in person also.

one good thing i tried the drive through at phuket immigration for 90 days reporting with all the new paperwork required and it worked wonderful, lady was very helpful, my wife was not with me and when she asked where she was i quickly said in hospital and she said thats ok i will do for you. 

what will be next, the one that got me pissed off was the photo required of both standing outside your villa with address showing on the wall between you, we arrived with all paper work (this when had the retirement visa) immigration guy looked at it and said where are your hands in the photo we were sitting in front of him and said here they are, no go all the way home, take a photo again with hands also showing in photo.... small things amuse small minds....... another wasted day back and forth to immigration... what's next......

Don't know about hands but id  have given him the finger.....up to the elbow!

31 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

They are over regulating themselves out of the retiree market.

Its the retirees who are having the control by simply comparing best deals from various destinations.

Lately Thailand hasn’t done anything to make it more attractive for retirees coming over. Its transforming much more into a 30 days holiday destination.

They are actively going in the opposite direction of making it more attractive. My feeling is that a message is being sent by that or maybe it's just random. :stoner:

Just now, Jingthing said:

Any country that offers permanent residence based on retirement is at least showing some awareness of the humanity of older expats. Cheers.

Why would an old person want permanent residence?  To die?  Your reply is off topic and does not address my question.  Which is, What country wants the retiree and not his money? 

3 hours ago, MeePeeMai said:

I'm getting tired of it too and I have only been living here full time 1 year.  I had no idea before moving here that I would be required to jump through so many hoops with all the 90 day reports, the absurd TM 30's for each time I leave and return to my home, the cancellation of the income letters and all the new requirements for your next extension (USA citizen) ... I'm starting to feel like a parolee here and don't even want to leave my home anymore.

Now with the new extension rules (for those of us who's Embassies no longer issue an income affidavit), it just adds another degree of stress and hassle to living here, having to prove everything to them (as far as your monthly income transfers and/or the money in the bank and combo method - if using that method).

All the while hoping that you've not done anything wrong so as to be denied on your next extension application, me having to fly to Bangkok to go to the main branch of my bank in Bangkok just to get the statements and letter that is required to apply for my next extension etc. 

Make sure you follow all their inconsistent, unpredictable and ever changing rules to a tee (and pray a lot), or kiss your next extension goodbye. 

No agents for me, thanks.  If I cannot do it myself (while always abiding by the law) then forget it, i'll leave.

I had a pictured an easy going, relaxed retirement (with my wife) here in Thailand.  I had planned to buy a nice condo on the beach, build my wife a nice home and travel around sightseeing the country and enjoying all that Thailand has to offer .... I have since changed my mind and no longer want to own a condo or invest any money here.  I've read the horror stories.

I don't even want to leave the house because everytime I do, I have to spend 4-5 hours doing a TM30 to let them know I am home once again (within 24 hours). I don't like having to deal with Immigration as often as I do.

This is causing some slight friction between my wife and I and we are now talking about leaving Thailand at some point in the future.  It is disheartening. 

I'm a patient person but I am not one to just bend over and take it (so to speak) just so I can live here in peace with my wife.  I love living here but I feel stressed out all the time worrying about my next extension, getting my monthly transfers done so as to please the IO (and coded as FTT), making sure my next TM30 is done on time so as not to be fined etc. 

If they raise the fines to 10,000 baht for late reporting of a TM30 (like they have proposed) then I would pack my bags that very day if I was ever personally fined that kind of money.

In contrast, if I bring my wife to the USA, she does not have to check in with anybody, she can live anywhere she wants in the entire USA (without notifying anybody), she can work any job she wants, she can buy and own property (in her own name).  Basically she is free to live her life as she wants without having to be monitored and treated as a criminal.  A little reciprocity would be nice.

If I were to die or we were to get divorced then she would be allowed to stay (forever is she pleases) and not be given just 7 days (or a few months if I died) to leave the country.  The only thing she would be required to do is renew her green card before it expires.  That would be the extent of her Immigration hassles.   How do I know?   I brought my ex-wife to the USA from Indonesia 18 years ago (and she still lives there).

I try to be optimistic and I am hoping for a change for the better in the near future (now that BJ is gone and after we get through this first year after the recent changes) but when I look at it realistically, it does not look good to me.  Things are not getting easier (that's for sure) and I like to take the road of least resistance. 

Who knows, I have a wife here (so I am trying to make the best of it) but I am also open to moving elsewhere and my wife has stated that she will go with me (wherever I my roam).

I understand your post perfectly, but believe it or not, there are quite a few deluded Thaivisa members who will not agree with you.

3 hours ago, rumak said:

i think he might take offense to you calling him "unofficial".    But then again you and I are probably on

his ignore list and he wouldn't see it.  

I feel welcome here and can basically live free without any hassles .   Yeah, once in a while have to fill out a form

I was not referring to the mayor of chiang rai , i was talking about someone who is not Thai nationally who thinks he is the mayor of chiang rai . With all his talking and putting people down

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

Why would an old person want permanent residence?  To die?  Your reply is off topic and does not address my question.  Which is, What country wants the retiree and not his money? 

It is not off topic at all. Of course all countries with retirement visa programs have financial requirements. But countries that offer permanent residence based on that are acknowledging that many of these older foreigners are making a massive commitment to living in their country and they don't want them to feel insecure in that decision as they age. That's a matter of GIVING something in return for the financial benefit of people bringing in capital and spending it. I can't take anyone seriously that doesn't understand why older people don't want to live in FEAR of being EVICTED from a country they may have made their new home for 10, 20, 30 years. It comes off as completely DISINGENUOUS to act like you don't understand. 
Cheers.

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I understand your post perfectly, but believe it or not, there are quite a few deluded Thaivisa members who will not agree with you.

It's because his post is not realistic.  I have none of his problems and have lived here for 20 years.  If I had problems I'd leave but I don't.  I don't do 90 day reports and only spend 20 minutes a year at immigration.  I have a 12 year old family member who has started a business telling Farang how to stay in Thailand with no problems.  She figured it out all by herself.  Not really that difficult. 

Archived