BANGKOK 22 May 2019 18:29
pagallim

Phuket - Change from Retirement to Marriage Extension

What is marriage certificate. koror2 and koror3?  Why are they needed for a marriage extension?

I have the normal Thai Marriage certificate

1 minute ago, gamini said:

What is marriage certificate. koror2 and koror3?  Why are they needed for a marriage extension?

Kor Ror 2 is a document from the Amphoe stating you are (still) married. 

Kor Ror 3 is the original (flowery) marriage-certificate.

Some will also demand you fish-out your old "affirmation for freedom to marry" document, used to allow you to get married at the amphoe.

4 minutes ago, gamini said:

As JT said, K3 is the original Marriage certificate, K2 (which should be no more than 6 months old) you can get from your Amphur (only costs a few baht) which confirms that you're still married.

20 minutes ago, pagallim said:

As JT said, K3 is the original Marriage certificate, K2 (which should be no more than 6 months old) you can get from your Amphur (only costs a few baht) which confirms that you're still married.

Some offices, Udon is one, require that the Kor Ror 2 is less than one month old. It is easy and cheap enough to get the 2 that are needed as it only cost us ฿20 for both.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

Not only does this vary from one office to another, but it also varies by other criteria of the applicant.  At some offices, they only target a subset of applicants for agent-extortion - the rest will report, "no problems."  For example, in Jomtien, it's much easier to get a marriage-based extension, if you own your own condo - might only have to make 2 trips (they change the picture requirements every year). 

One's treatment may also have to do with how many stacks passports were recently received in the back-office, accompanied by agent-loot.  They will be more relaxed when they have already made enough "extra" to cover their house/car payments.

Its funny but in 23 years i have only ever once been asked for a bribe and that was about 10 yrs ago by a traffic cop in BKK ,i and my wife are usually treated respectfuly , could it be that we dress nicely,great people with a smile and dont "demand" anything ,who knows ,hope its like that when i change from retirement to marriage in 6 months time ,

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Its funny but in 23 years i have only ever once been asked for a bribe and that was about 10 yrs ago by a traffic cop in BKK ,i and my wife are usually treated respectfuly , could it be that we dress nicely,great people with a smile and dont "demand" anything ,who knows ,hope its like that when i change from retirement to marriage in 6 months time ,

Crikey! It was only my second trip in 1983 before i got asked for a payment from a cop for doing nothing wrong! These days I find not breaking the rules and having a Thai licence means no issues.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, pagallim said:

Unusual for this particular forum, no comments. 

It was a really long post.  It wasn't until the last paragraph when you said "seasoning" that I was able to determine that you were using the 400k method.

It was announced last month that Thai Immigration will be making changes to business visas, marriage extensions, and parent of a Thai child extensions.

Udon Thani Immigration Office is now requiring that the 400k baht lump sum for marriage extensions remain untouched in the bank for 6 to 7 months.  The math: 2 months seasoning prior to application, 1 to 2 months during the "under consideration" period, plus three months after receiving the extension equal 6 to 7 months.

Yes, if you go below the required minimum, your next extension will be refused in Phuket.  However, in Phuket if that happens simply top the account back up and submit your renewal via an agent and Immigration will overlook the discretion and renew your extension. 

Edited by SEtonal
added "for marriage extensions"
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, SEtonal said:

It was a really long post.  It wasn't until the last paragraph when you said "seasoning" that I was able to determine that you were using the 400k method.

It was announced last month that Thai Immigration will be making changes to business visas, marriage extensions, and parent of a Thai child extensions.

Udon Thani Immigration Office is now requiring that the 400k baht lump sum remain untouched in the bank for 6 to 7 months.  The math: 2 months seasoning prior to application, 1 to 2 months during the "under consideration" period, plus three months after receiving the extension equal 6 to 7 months.

Yes, if you go below the required minimum, your next extension will be refused in Phuket.  However, in Phuket if that happens simply top the account back up and submit your renewal via an agent and Immigration will overlook the discretion and renew your extension. 

Can't really comment on the Udon Thani situation, though the reply UJ posted below the one you've linked is my understanding also, i.e. no current changes to the Marriage or Family extension, so at face value is another example of 'local rule' application prevalent at some offices.    The regime at Phuket seems completely unambiguous and in accordance with published rules.   

I seem to recall that there were rumours (during the latter days of BJ's regime) that there was going to be a new Police Order issued circa 22nd April, which has obviously come and gone with no proclamation.   

Edited by pagallim
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Not only does this vary from one office to another, but it also varies by other criteria of the applicant.  At some offices, they only target a subset of applicants for agent-extortion - the rest will report, "no problems."  For example, in Jomtien, it's much easier to get a marriage-based extension, if you own your own condo - might only have to make 2 trips (they change the picture requirements every year). 

One's treatment may also have to do with how many stacks passports were recently received in the back-office, accompanied by agent-loot.  They will be more relaxed when they have already made enough "extra" to cover their house/car payments.

Even in a thread like this you mention to get your agent extortion nonsense in.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, SEtonal said:

Udon Thani Immigration Office is now requiring that the 400k baht lump sum for marriage extensions remain untouched in the bank for 6 to 7 months.  The math: 2 months seasoning prior to application, 1 to 2 months during the "under consideration" period, plus three months after receiving the extension equal 6 to 7 months.

"It was announced last month that Thai Immigration will be making changes to business visas, marriage extensions, and parent of a Thai child extensions."

Can you provide a link to that announcement please.