Phuket - Change from Retirement to Marriage Extension

11 minutes ago, Farang99 said:

Phuket does not have to accept the 40K method without an embassy letter but will it accept it?

According to the Immigration Volunteer who screened my documentation, yes they do.

• Like 1

On April 27, 2019 at 8:00 AM, Gashead said:

I also recently changed from a retirement to marriage extension at Korat Immigration.  Pretty much the same experience as you.  Only differences were that I required 2 witnesses to be in attendance (first year only) and was told that I should not let my balance drop below 400K during the under consideration period, although they required no proof of this when I went back to get the final stamp.  All in all a very straightforward process and nowhere near as onerous as some posters would make us believe.

I was at Korat immigration last week and asked about first time marriage extension. All the five young girls who help everybody told me no witnesses as they will come to your house to check on you.

And the printout with all the specs doesn't mention witnesses and that was why I asked. My extension is in Sept....let us know how yours goes if it is earlier.

7 minutes ago, Mansell said:

I was at Korat immigration last week and asked about first time marriage extension. All the five young girls who help everybody told me no witnesses as they will come to your house to check on you.

And the printout with all the specs doesn't mention witnesses and that was why I asked. My extension is in Sept....let us know how yours goes if it is earlier.

Mine will be  in October, so also interested to know how Mansell gets on

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 9:09 AM, ubonjoe said:

Actually that have to go by what is stated in a police order.

The only thing they can vary is the required documents to meet one of the requirement shown in the police order.

Thanks for the clarification.   An Embassy Letter is a supporting document and an Immigration Office has the right to make an Embassy Letter a required document if it chooses.  Makes sense. 

On 5/4/2019 at 9:25 AM, Mansell said:

Seems a bit confusing.  I now have my extension based on marriage issued at Korat.  Took 2 visits.   First time I had no witnesses so was told I had to come back.  I had my wife and son with me and asked if that would not suffice - I had read somewhere that a child sometimes will work......  The 2 girls who were helping me said no I needed 2 witnesses.  They eventually called over a supervisor who confirmed the 2 witness requirement and explained that they had to be neighbors.  When I went back with the witnesses they had to complete some forms, needed to bring their housebooks and had their pictures taken.  As for the home visit - I never had one.

I think a further clarification nearer your renewal date might be wise.  Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, to close the loop on this thread, today I received my 11 months extension (until 25.4.20).

What has surprised us is that we did not receive a home visit during the 30 day Under Consideration period, particularly as this was my first Marriage extension (the previous 10 were Retirement extensions).

Not asked for updated bank book or statement (was told I was free to use any or all of my bank monies when I made the application a month ago) but had my bank book just in case.

The whole process could not have been easier, and the IO''s that I dealt with could not have been more pleasant or helpful.

A good dinner is called for.

Edited by pagallim
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, pagallim said:

OK, to close the loop on this thread, today I received my 11 months extension (until 25.4.20).

What has surprised us is that we did not receive a home visit during the 30 day Under Consideration period, particularly as this was my first Marriage extension (the previous 10 were Retirement extensions).

Not asked for updated bank book or statement (was told I was free to use any or all of my bank monies when I made the application a month ago) but had my bank book just in case.

The whole process could not have been easier, and the IO''s that I dealt with could not have been more pleasant or helpful.

A good dinner is called for.

Which immigration office?

I really don't want to labour this point, but having believed that the Marriage Extension was extraordinarily difficult, and thus avoiding it for years, my first time experience in 2019 was a pleasant surprise.   In fact, having done my previous 10 extensions for retirement here in Phuket, and had the occasional 'curved ball' thrown at me in terms of requirements/copies etc, this year was so straight forward, stress free etc, that no way would I consider a retirement extension again.    Having scanned/printed the various required documentation, next year will be a simple 'rinse and repeat', with the exception of the document from the Amphur which M'Sahib will have to apply for that confirms that we're still actually married, which is a few minutes exercise and costs about 20 baht.

• Like 2