volunteering as a start into teaching.

Hello. My American friend is interested in spending a year in Thailand volunteering, possibly teaching english to see if he wants to do it long term, but at the moment has no experience or teaching certifications. He asked me(and I'm asking you) for recommendations since so many websites seem to offer volunteer jobs you have to pay for. Hes not looking for a holiday, just wants to help. 

Every school I've worked at never invited volunteers. Too many problems with visas, liability, etc. I DID do volunteer work at the Father Ray Foundation in Pattaya. Something like that might be a better match.

I assume he has a degree!?

Without one it will be difficult to work anywhere in the world. 

You do not actually need any experience to get a job here and many places don't have curriculum, etc. You could easily "wing it" like many already do. 

Get experience from Korea, Japan, China, Vietnam and earn lots of money in the process. 

Then come to Thailand with some money, study for your teaching license and then you will be fine.

Many if these "volunteer" organizations are actually making a lot if money off you! Do your research if you insist on coming to Thailand to volunteer. 

If he has no experience or training, then he has no experience or training.  So volunteering is only spreading ignorance.  Then, if he is paying one of those non-profits for the privilege of volunteer teaching, he's not just ignorant but plain stupid.  

So my advice as someone who was an educator during his career - sign up for the CELTA or TESOL training and then look for a job based on your training.  The bar to entry is pretty low here.  If you have the certificates and a degree then you are hireable in Thailand and you'll find a job although low-paying at first most likely. 

Look in Facebook and Craigslist. You can find a post looking for volunteers from time to time. Some may even pay you a small amount IN ADDITION to an accommodation already provided. You definitely shouldn't pay for that.

I'm not talking out of a first hand experience, though, just what I've came across online.

You need a WP to volunteer.  35k per month is almost like volunteering, anyways.  Is someone going to volunteer to pay your electric bill, or your transit passes, or your countless dealings with red tape? 

Archived