Tatty banknotes

Hi guys.

I just withdrew some GBP from an ATM in the UK, and on getting home have found that several of them are dog-eared, tatty, and some have small tears.

Is somewhere like Vasu exchange or Superich going to reject these notes in Bangkok? What about the ones where people have written an amount on in pencil?

Cheers.

I exchanged some Sterling for visiting family a couple of weeks back. Whilst not exceptionally tatty the lady at SuperRich (Mo Chit BTS) applied some tape to a couple of tears and changed them no questions asked.

Any that look really bad swap them at your local bank (if you have time).

38 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

i don't know about GBP but USD have to be near perfect or they will not accept them.

Many moons ago I changed $500.00 in $100 bills to Baht, she made me sign each note!

29 minutes ago, mlkik said:

Over the years I have had many notes refused due to biro pen marks and tears etc.

When I take cash from UK n2ow I always check the notes first.

ATMs used to have new notes but that was a long time ago, they now cannot be guaranteed not to have pen marks etc so its best to check and exchange with bank 

Thats assuming you can find a bank in UK now they are an endangered species it seems!

1 minute ago, Chivas said:

If people are getting notes rejected on regular basis than its not the notes but you that are being rejected by the Exchange Booths or inside Banks.

Rest assured it is !

If that was the case, then why would they accept 95% of the notes and reject the tattiest 5%?

1 minute ago, SteveK said:

If that was the case, then why would they accept 95% of the notes and reject the tattiest 5%?

lol you're missing the point which is Thais cannot stand people dressed shabby unshaven unsmiling so of course they accept the notes which are fine but time after time will automatically reject any note not up to standard

I have just one note rejected closing in on 30 years and that single note to be fair had been ripped in half and sellotaped back together. The booth around corner immediately changed it anyway.

I never dont walk around shabby unshaven or unsmiling. Am not joking. Am surprised people are not aware

9 minutes ago, Chivas said:

I never dont walk around shabby unshaven or unsmiling. Am not joking. Am surprised people are not aware

If you NEVER DON'T walk around like that, then that means you always do.

1 hour ago, Chivas said:

If people are getting notes rejected on regular basis than its not the notes but you that are being rejected by the Exchange Booths or inside Banks.

Rest assured it is !

Banks are in business and do not give a crap about what you look like! They are there to make money.

You seem to think you have more fashion sense , style, self importance and worth to Thailand than us people who have had notes rejected without knowing how we dress.

1 hour ago, Chivas said:

lol you're missing the point which is Thais cannot stand people dressed shabby unshaven unsmiling so of course they accept the notes which are fine but time after time will automatically reject any note not up to standard

I have just one note rejected closing in on 30 years and that single note to be fair had been ripped in half and sellotaped back together. The booth around corner immediately changed it anyway.

I notice you live in Rochester ! What part of Thailand is that ? Maybe if you lived here your reply would be based on fact and not the holiday experience 555

I've had near perfect Aussie dollars refused at one of the smaller branches of SuperRich. Clerk was examining each note trying to find an excuse to reject them it seemed but they were mostly mint condition from an ATM the day before. Rejected one with a 2mm cut and another with a tiny biro mark. The rejected notes were accepted another day at the main branch near Central World... go figure...

It always amazes me how the Thai employees at those tiny change booths are able to determine if a note is genuine, from anywhere in the world, just by looking at it. Well, maybe not anywhere in the world, I doubt they would accept Ugandan shillings or Serbian dinars, but you know what I mean.

Archived