GRAB app

gaviolit

All I know is in the 7 trips I called grab, a taxi shows up. I have not seen any of friendly non taxi grab cars for months now. Matter of fact, I called to take my wife to the bus station 2 days ago, estimated time was 2-4 min. He was at sukhumvit rd on the Pattaya side. I checked my phone and saw he was heading toward Pattaya. I live in East Pattaya. Now estimated time was 6 min. Checked again a few min later,sure enough he was almost in downtown Pattaya  Now his arrival time was 12 to 14 min. I cancelled, realizing that he was accepting my booking but not until he took his current passanger all the way downtown. I don't know how Grab can survive in Thailand anymore now that the mob joined them.

38 minutes ago, rjwill01 said:

All I know is in the 7 trips I called grab, a taxi shows up. I have not seen any of friendly non taxi grab cars for months now. Matter of fact, I called to take my wife to the bus station 2 days ago, estimated time was 2-4 min. He was at sukhumvit rd on the Pattaya side. I checked my phone and saw he was heading toward Pattaya. I live in East Pattaya. Now estimated time was 6 min. Checked again a few min later,sure enough he was almost in downtown Pattaya  Now his arrival time was 12 to 14 min. I cancelled, realizing that he was accepting my booking but not until he took his current passanger all the way downtown. I don't know how Grab can survive in Thailand anymore now that the mob joined them.

I've had some good rides lately. Red plate Honda H-RV for the regular Grab price. Turned out the driver lived a couple of blocks from me. Also had other late model SUVs and a Camry for the basic rate. Worst I experienced with car times continually changing was Bukit Bintang KL, a tourist hotspot. Still clearly dropping off a passenger and caught up in traffic. After ten minutes one driver cancelled after being only four minutes away to begin with.. they always seemed to be four minutes away when they accepted the ride but rarely were.

Here it's because they can't find me even after sending a pic or explaining by phone, happens with regular taxis as well. I'm not in some out of the way location, just somewhere that involves a couple of turns that are hard to explain clearly. Because the soi numbers aren't in a sensible sequence they drive straight past our soi. Wife has the same trouble, cars go sailing by while she waves at them to stop from the corner. In KL you also always know the color of the car to look out for, here, not so much.

Archived