Pattaya Versus DaNang and the winner is?

Destiny1990

• Replies 902
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Despite ur poor contribution Nevertheless i know who my winner is..

Are you one of the hundreds that would leave to go Vietnam today but .....(insert excuse here)  and  have zero intention of ever leaving ?

20 minutes ago, madmen said:

Are you one of the hundreds that would leave to go Vietnam today but .....(insert excuse here)  and  have zero intention of ever leaving ?

Mate what the ... u talking about?

i’ am under 50 years so there are no decent hassle free long term affordable visa options for us on the table.( that’s fine )

And if i was over 50 then i am neither interested in that retirement visa program because it sounds way to complicated and dreadful for me undergoing each 90 days..I am done over and out.

25 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

i’ am under 50 years so there are no decent hassle free long term affordable visa options for us on the table.( that’s fine )

And if i was over 50 then i am neither interested in that retirement visa program because it sounds way to complicated and dreadful for me undergoing each 90 days..I am done over and out.

Fair enough but how have you been living here up until now?

10 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Taxis are very cheap in Vietnam.  There is no taxi mafia, and they use the meter.   You can use taxis for your whole visit and it will not cost much.  

Yes, I know they work better there than in Pattaya but I just dont like them. I dont like them in Bangkok either. I would probably have to learn to like them though, and Grab/Uber is a vast improvement in that respect.

On 4/26/2019 at 10:27 PM, Destiny1990 said:

Hello sorry my bad but the name is not NaDang but its DaNang...

Danang when it comes to beaches is far superior than NaDang but the hotels in NaDang beat DaNang hands down. I prefer the local NaDang food to that of DaDang but cant compare to Saigon. NaDang transport compared to Danang, i would say DaNang transport services are far better than NaDang. So to compare DaNang to NaDang you have to take everything into

cosideration.

On 4/27/2019 at 4:45 AM, NanLaew said:

Saigon = Bangkok, same-same but different.

Da Nang = Hua Hin, but cleaner.

Hội An = Cha am, but less pretentious.

Nha Trang = Pattaya, with zoning but the same amount of Chinese.

Cam Ranh = Jomtien, in around 5 years time.

Vung Tau = Klongtoey, and there's nowt wrong with that.

Dalat = Khaoyai (Korat), but much closer to the sea.

Hanoi = Chiang Mai, with better coffee.

Lạng Sơn = Chiang Rai, but a lot bigger.

Thanks for that comparison.  That's very useful!  :thumbsup:

13 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Taxis are very cheap in Vietnam.  There is no taxi mafia, and they use the meter.   You can use taxis for your whole visit and it will not cost much.  

Just watch the meters. Some run at higher speed. Stopped several times a taxi in Hanoi and left it before the destination. 

14 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

You most be joking. Taxis there are a big scam! you only need to google for 5 seconds for endless examples..I think many expats are so jaded living in LOS that the rose colored glasses are on when looking at other countries. But lets keep it real

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293921-i8432-k9671730-Taxi_Scam_in_Vietnam-Vietnam.html

42 minutes ago, madmen said:

You most be joking. Taxis there are a big scam! you only need to google for 5 seconds for endless examples..I think many expats are so jaded living in LOS that the rose colored glasses are on when looking at other countries. But lets keep it real

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293921-i8432-k9671730-Taxi_Scam_in_Vietnam-Vietnam.html

Seasoned traveller ...not!

On 4/27/2019 at 6:45 AM, Destiny1990 said:

Can u name some differences between the 2 countries?

I think price level such as food, condo, transport etc is nearly the same between the 2. 

Visas extensions are easier in Vietnam anything else u noticed?

Vietnam is WAY cheaper then Thailand especially fruit and veg in shopping centers. Much better exchange rate, and a much better choice for young expats < 50. If you are older out of shape and need bar girls then Pattaya would be a much better choice but for everything else, Vietnam wins hands down. Riding in the traffic in vietnam seems crazy at first but it is actually much much safer then riding in thailand. Pretty much everyone I know has moved from thailand to vietnam and once my visa runs out here I will join them. Quality of life is just far better in vietnam they are more welcoming to foreigners and not always trying to rip you off. A grab taxi from the airport to town is about the same distance as phuket airport to rawai but cost is 120-160

THB compared with 800-1000 in phuket. Visas are extremely easy in vietnam and very easy to extend.

On 4/27/2019 at 7:10 AM, marcusarelus said:

If Vietnamese get sick they come to Thailand.  GDP per capita is about 3 times higher in Thailand.  https://countryeconomy.com/countries/compare/vietnam/thailand

Corruption increase 56% Vietnam vs Thailand 14% https://www.transparency.org/news/feature/corruption_in_asia_pacific_what_20000_people_told_us

In Thailand 9 die before 1 year.  Vietnam 17.  54 die childbirth out of 1000 in Thailand 20.  https://www.mylifeelsewhere.com/compare/thailand/vietnam

Wow. Impressive and daunting stats. That is communism for you. Of all the visits I have made to Vietnam, in general I find alot of the people to be somewhere between indifferent, cold, wet fish, or hostile. Rarely warm or fun to be around. Rarely light hearted like alot of Thais. Was that an ill conceived perception? Was it just me? I am a friendly guy. But, did not get alot of that in return. Three trips to the north and south left me terribly unimpressed with the people, in general.

But a gorgeous land, lovely sea, great food, better beer, and fine women for sure. 

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Of all the visits I have made to Vietnam, in general I find alot of the people to be somewhere between indifferent, cold, wet fish, or hostile. Rarely warm or fun to be around.

I have only been to Vietnam once, to Da Nang, and I wasn't overly impressed with the city, or at least the part in which I stayed, but I was impressed with the warmth and smiles of the Vietnamese people I encountered.

Obviously my experience has been different to yours, but then again as I said, I've only been once, so I might have been lucky??

So whats the crack on an entry visa say for a 2 week trip  ?? (side trip from Pattaya)

Do you need to apply in advance back in your home country. Do you just turn up at immigration  ??

Thanks

2 minutes ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

Been to Da Nang.  The water and beach are clean.  Lovely place.  Pattaya sucks. Da Nang rocks.

"Pattaya sucks" was the Pun intended because thats why punters come to Pattaya and certainly not the beach

7 minutes ago, madmen said:

"Pattaya sucks" was the Pun intended because thats why punters come to Pattaya and certainly not the beach

If you want sex in Da Nang, it's easy to do.  The difference between Da Nang women and Thai/Pattaya women is that the women in Da Nang would be insulted and horrified if you tried to pay them.  It's easy to hook up in Vietnam because women want to explore sex with foreigners.  They will tell you they are not prostitutes and they would be right.  They wish to be paid in the usual way, a dinner, a date, is all that is required.

8 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

If you are under 50, with the direction immigration is going in Thailand, it's the Elite Card, or leave. 

However, it's not like Vietnam is so far away, or difficult or expensive to get to.  You could come back to Thailand often, immigration issues aside.   

3 hours ago, madmen said:

Taxis in every country are known to scam.  Google maps has changed that a fair bit, as well as Uber and Grab.

The funny thing about Vietnam is, even if you are a scammed a bit, it's that cheap you don't care.  ????

I use Grab when I am in Vietnam now. No scam at all. 

Pattaya has a great system with the baht buses, but look at the nightmare you have dealing with the taxis to go anywhere off the baht bus routes.  No meter at all.  They throw a price at you and you either pay it, or walk.  Could you image Pattaya without baht buses?

Look what the taxi mafia did to Phuket. 

1 hour ago, madmen said:

what has that got to do with it. The poster got it wrong, Vietnam is well know for its meter tampering and guess what? Thats why they insist on the meter !!

The passenger got scammed due to being unfamiliar with the currency, and normal pricing.  They didn't do their research.  I'm not making excuses for the driver, he scammed them, but that doesn't mean the meter was "tricked up." 

That report is 3 years old.  Vietnam's tourism industry has come a long way in 3 years.    

Archived