Pattaya Versus DaNang and the winner is?

Destiny1990

Phan Thiet is around 3 hours from HCMC and the beaches are much nicer than vung Tao. There are no real malls other than in HCMC and Hanoi and if I remember correctly the total combined floor space of the 25 largest malls in Vietnam is roughly the same amount of floor space as Central World in Bangkok has. That’s a few years old so it may have changed but I wouldn’t expect the same “mall lifestyle” that you have in Thailand.

As far as the Da Nang weather goes the cold usually comes with rain so it’s not pleasant.

Da Nang is located at the foot of the Hai Van pass that crosses the annamite mountains. The annimite mountains are the climate barrier between north and South Asia so it’s cold with four seasons north of the pass and hot and rainy seasons only south of the pass. Da Nang even though it’s just south of the pass does get some cold whether as the “barrier” ends at the ocean. It can get below 10 degrees on really cold days ( rare) and can be in the mid teens on cold wet days during winter.

• Replies 902
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

Vietnam boo koo cheaper in pretty much every respect. Been there a few times to ride the coastal highway on a scooter - awesome by the way! And to surf the small waves in Vnam. Sadly, while there are very beautiful Vietnamese women I just refer Thai ladies mak mak

U prefer Thai ladies over Vietnam ladies? Okey so what’s the difference?

btw how vibrant is the lb scene  in Vietnam? ????

17 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

I don’t know about u but for me i don't base my location of next destination on the color sand of a beach much more factors are needed for that.

Depends if you go to live near a beach ,The color of the sand and general Vibe would be very important . That Pic just looks depressing, no cuties sun baking just fully clothed people wondering about

31 minutes ago, madmen said:

Depends if you go to live near a beach ,The color of the sand and general Vibe would be very important . That Pic just looks depressing, no cuties sun baking just fully clothed people wondering about

Well i agree somewhat i mean i can make stunning pics from Pattaya bay and even from pratumnak viewpoint

Overlooking the bay all the way towards koh karn. In his defense I think the guy just isnt a good photographer ????????.. btw How often do u see Thai babes sunbathing in bikinis on Pattaya Beaches?

44 minutes ago, AJBangkok said:

Phan Thiet is around 3 hours from HCMC and the beaches are much nicer than vung Tao. There are no real malls other than in HCMC and Hanoi and if I remember correctly the total combined floor space of the 25 largest malls in Vietnam is roughly the same amount of floor space as Central World in Bangkok has. That’s a few years old so it may have changed but I wouldn’t expect the same “mall lifestyle” that you have in Thailand.

As far as the Da Nang weather goes the cold usually comes with rain so it’s not pleasant.

Da Nang is located at the foot of the Hai Van pass that crosses the annamite mountains. The annimite mountains are the climate barrier between north and South Asia so it’s cold with four seasons north of the pass and hot and rainy seasons only south of the pass. Da Nang even though it’s just south of the pass does get some cold whether as the “barrier” ends at the ocean. It can get below 10 degrees on really cold days ( rare) and can be in the mid teens on cold wet days during winter.

Interesting info about Danang climate.

Nowadays i believe Danang has several new shopping malls too but surely Thailand overall has much much more than Vietnam.

Taxis in every country are known to scam.  Google maps has changed that a fair bit, as well as Uber and Grab.

The funny thing about Vietnam is, even if you are a scammed a bit, it's that cheap you don't care.  [emoji846]

I use Grab when I am in Vietnam now. No scam at all. 

Pattaya has a great system with the baht buses, but look at the nightmare you have dealing with the taxis to go anywhere off the baht bus routes.  No meter at all.  They throw a price at you and you either pay it, or walk.  Could you image Pattaya without baht buses?

Look what the taxi mafia did to Phuket. 
Pattaya without baht busses?
The thought makes me shudder.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I've been to Da Nang three times, but mainly used it as a base for going to other places, such as Hoi An, Hue, and Lang Co - if anyone saw the Top Gear Vietnam special, Lang Co was the hillside view that took their breath away.

Da Nang certainly doesn't have nightlife anything like Thailand. There are many bars down by the riverside, but they are more regular bars rather than beer bars. You do get a few local women in them, especially the great little Bamboo Bar 2, who do appear to be in there in a "self-employed professional capacity" though.

As most tourists stay in Hoi An, the place does still feel more "authentic" in that you don't see McDonalds, KFC, Burger King, Starbucks everywhere. In fact you don't see them anywhere in the city. Starbucks in particular would be a hard sell there, as Vietnamese coffee is fantastic, and cheap, and there are coffee shops everywhere.

I've never had any problems with taxis, but I always stick to Vinasun and Mai Linh taxis, which have a good reputation. They are very cheap and plentiful too. 

You don't have to go far to go to areas where tourists are a novelty. You don't have to go far south of the Dragon Bridge to have people (ordinary people, not ones try to sell something) saying hello to you as you walk past, or across the street. Every little kid will say hello, and wave, which is quite charming. Go a few miles off the tourist path, such as Lang Co beach, and locals will be coming up to you and taking selfies.

I've also been to Nha Trang. It is full of Russians and doesn't have much of a bar scene (or if it does, I didn't find it). And when I say "full of Russians" I don't mean "quite a lot of Russians" like Pattaya, I mean by far the biggest overseas contingent there come from Russia. They are very cheap flights from Russia, apparently.

Saigon is a big bustling city with the worst traffic I've seen by far, for whom traffic lights appear to just be a suggestion. I would never drive there, unless I was in a truck. Priority seems to be based on the size of your vehicle, and if a vehicle is flashing its lights, it means "get out of the way. I'm not stopping", even if they are on your side of the road. That's not so prevalent in Saigon to be fair.

The big bar area is Bui Vien, but I found that at night, it's nightmarishly crowded and noisy. I much preferred the bars down Pasteur Street, a 10-15 minute walk away.

5 hours ago, madmen said:

what has that got to do with it. The poster got it wrong, Vietnam is well know for its meter tampering and guess what? Thats why they insist on the meter !!

you made it to Thailand but can’t handle a taxi in Vietnam?.

6 hours ago, madmen said:

what has that got to do with it. The poster got it wrong, Vietnam is well know for its meter tampering and guess what? Thats why they insist on the meter !!

Oh every taxi? Get a grip Mr negative.

6 hours ago, tlandtday said:

What I liked about the vietnam beach cities was they had lots of parks and open greenery and were very clean.  They didn't cut all their trees and sell out all their beach fronts to the highest bidder.

What I like about the beach cities is local folk flock en masse at the crack of dawn, likely earlier, and then they are all gone by 7 to reappear around 4 in the afternoon. People swimming, working out, playing badminton, older folk doing their tai chi, others doing group dance moves all at first light. Love it and it's the whole family.

On 4/26/2019 at 8:32 AM, Destiny1990 said:

Yes sorry I meshed up with the names i am talking about DaNang.. Also Dalat I curious with since its cooler but without a beach..I read taxies very effective in DaNang and with meter..

I thought you were making a statement about quality calling it "Na".

9 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Sex tourists sure but nonces?  Didn't Gary Glitter live in Vietnam?

That's low. But to answer your question yes in Vung Tau I believe. He recently got banged up for 16 years in Blighty which should see him to the grave.

16 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

What's the level of Russian invasion in there, on a scale of 1 to 10? So far I know of one Norwegian couple who went to Vietnam and came back with never again. They are basically allergic to russkies.

there is a well established russian community in vung tau.  nice people in my experience. we even surfed together after a typhoon.   

23 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

What's the level of Russian invasion in there, on a scale of 1 to 10? So far I know of one Norwegian couple who went to Vietnam and came back with never again. They are basically allergic to russkies.

Thailand used to be so popular with Russians i thought their numbers reduced due too their weak economic home situation. But here u are saying they are all in Vietnam so i wonder why did the shift?

Russians personally don’t disturb me much I even would date these girls if their partners are out of sight.

Personally not bothered by Russians as they tend, in Nha Trang at least, to go around in couples unlike our Chinese mates who only go around by the bus load.

In Hanoi at present and can't say I've spotted what I believe to be Russians here so basically if you, or some fickle Norwegian couple, don't care for their company avoid Vung Tau and Nha Trang. Think you'll find that still leaves a fair bit of territory to explore.

Archived