BANGKOK 18 July 2019 08:13
Destiny1990

Pattaya Versus DaNang and the winner is?

On 7/14/2019 at 3:26 PM, atyclb said:

at a nice seafood restaurant in cat ba island vietnam (near hanoi) i had a bottle of haiphong beer at least 500 cc size that cost 15 baht or 50 cents usd.

beer haiphong.jpg

I tried Huda Beer.  It was cheap, so I was expecting it to be nasty, but I really liked it, and then started asking for it in places, but it's not widely available. 

This made me Google it to find out more, and I saw that it has won a silver medal at the beer world championships.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huda_Beer

I took my own photos of it, but this is a photo from the internet.

The "bia hoi's" are fun and entertaining.  Watching the Vietnamese drink $0.21USD small mugs of draft beer.  That's about 6.5 baht for a small draft beer.  🙂

Bia Hoi's are all over Vietnam, including Danang.

Bottle_of_Huda_beer.jpg

Edited by KhunHeineken
  • Like 2

On 7/14/2019 at 9:13 AM, luckyluke said:

No need to have any money in a Thai bank. 

No need to transfer monthly at least 65000 Thb. 

What visa are you on?  Elite Visa? 

4 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

What visa are you on?  Elite Visa? 

No, extension based on retirement. 

But I am Belgian, one of the +/- 70 countries which embassy/consulate here is still issuing a Letter of Income / Affidavit. 

On 7/13/2019 at 9:20 AM, uzynkotak said:

Which web sites are good for apartment search in danang?

The best method is to join Facebook Groups like this one:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/danangrent/

The local agents and apartment owners all put up their listings there. Put up your own post saying what area you want to live in and your price range and agents will contact you. 

• Like 1

On 7/13/2019 at 6:04 PM, KhunHeineken said:

For those members unfamiliar with Vietnam prices, 20,000VND = 26.5 baht.

Yes, that's right, 26 baht a beer in a bar.  It's not a misprint.  🙂

was there in danang in march and april, was getting  dong to the baht at a travel agency. 70000 = 100 baht, however the bank  rate was lower. got great rate with my usa bank debit card and the atm fee there a fraction bbk's atm fee.  for five million dong was 49,500 dong. 

i found a tasty dark beer in saigon, in mini mart, 70,000 for three bottles, may have been lao beer.

7 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

I tried Huda Beer.  It was cheap, so I was expecting it to be nasty, but I really liked it, and then started asking for it in places, but it's not widely available. 

This made me Google it to find out more, and I saw that it has won a silver medal at the beer world championships.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huda_Beer

I took my own photos of it, but this is a photo from the internet.

The "bia hoi's" are fun and entertaining.  Watching the Vietnamese drink $0.21USD small mugs of draft beer.  That's about 6.5 baht for a small draft beer.  🙂

Bia Hoi's are all over Vietnam, including Danang.

Bottle_of_Huda_beer.jpg

huda is good. lots of it in da nang and cheap.

6 hours ago, IraqRon said:

was there in danang in march and april, was getting  dong to the baht at a travel agency. 70000 = 100 baht, however the bank  rate was lower. got great rate with my usa bank debit card and the atm fee there a fraction bbk's atm fee.  for five million dong was 49,500 dong. 

i found a tasty dark beer in saigon, in mini mart, 70,000 for three bottles, may have been lao beer.

So how was it in DaNang for you  in comparison with Pattaya?

You stayed there 2 Months?

I lived in Pattaya and Jomtien for many years, and I've been to Danang a couple of times.

Danang is cleaner, bigger, has a very good beach (that is surprisingly busy very early in the morning) but is lacking in any decent nightlife.

I know quite a lot of people that are now splitting their time between Chiang Mai and Danang as there is now a direct flight, with their main visa being in Vietnam. They seem very happy with that arrangement, and more and more poeople seem to be joining them, there is now a quite a big group of CM expats in Danang.

I think I am the only person in the World that did not like Hoi An - I hated it. The Vietnamese people were fake as you like, the tourists were smelly and packed into small streets and no I don't want a suit, I told you that 2 minutes ago when I walked past the other way...

I would say the best 3 cities (just my opinion) in the region are now Chiang Mai, Siem Reap and Da Nang. Very weird you still can't fly from Chiang Mai to Siem Reap but you can fly from Siem Reap to Da Nang and from Chiang Mai to Da Nang.

I would happily live in Danang - I would never, ever, live in Pattaya again.

8 hours ago, IraqRon said:

In Da Nang I found draught Gauden dark beer for 25,000vnd/mug.

They had around 20 beers to choose from at around the same price.

(Euro Draught Beer Village by the Dragon Bridge)

Gauden dark.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

No, I felt the same way, caught the $1 bus there, was going to stay overnight, but couldn't stand it for more than 90 minutes so caught the bus back. Shopkeepers were rude, everything was double price.

Some hot Chinese girls floating around at 8:30 in the morning though .........

hoi an.jpg

We are in the minority - everybody else seems to love it there... 😎

And yeah, the shop keepers were super rude and uninterested, night and day different to the helpful people I met in Danang (mostly).

I had the misfortune to be there on one of the nights when they some kind of light festival thing, you literally could not move in places. I got stuck on that stupid bridge in a crowd of several hundred people all getting very nervous about being stuck on a small bridge with several hundred other people, very unnerving.

Edited by tomster
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, atyclb said:

huda is good. lots of it in da nang and cheap.

It's brewed in Hue, not far up the coast from Danang. Huda is a combination of Hu (Hue) and da (Danmach), due to the use of Danish brewing technology and equipment.