Pattaya Versus DaNang and the winner is?

Destiny1990

• Replies 902
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, wisperone said:

One thing to take note, I believe it is against the law in Vietnam to be alone with a Viet woman in a hotel at night if you are a foreigner.

Yep, was staying in a guesthouse near Beer Street HCMC long ago, heard a knock on the door, I did not answer, and police had hotel staff open door and police came into my room which was completely dark. I was standing in the corner and the cop saw someone there and quickly left, then came back in with his partner with the lights on. They checked in the bathroom for females. Left without incident. This was not a short time hotel, just a regular guesthouse/hotel.

18 minutes ago, wisperone said:

One thing to take note, I believe it is against the law in Vietnam to be alone with a Viet woman in a hotel at night if you are a foreigner.

Yeah, and dont let the hotel porter "fix you up with a lady" either, no sooner will she have arrived and there will be knock on the door!!

21 minutes ago, wisperone said:

Those days are over.

The law may still be in existence, but many unmarried foreigners / Vietnamese couples travel around Vietnam with no problems at all.  Obviously, ID has to be shown at check in, just like anywhere else, but there's no problems.

This also extends to the new girlfriend you just met that night.  ????

6 hours ago, fhickson said:

If you like Patts, your probably not going to like Vietnam long term. Two different animals really.

If you like Patts, you're probably not going to like anywhere else in the world, long term.  ????

There is no other place in the world like Pattaya.  Anyone looking for a Pattaya, in any other country, will be disappointed.  There is no where else like it.

10 hours ago, likerdup1 said:

I was just there. It is set up for Chinese and Korean tourists. Very few western restaurants but rows of those giant seafood restaurants the Koreans and Chinese like.

Traffic is more lawless than Thailand with NO stop signs at the many many blind intersections ... constant motorbike horns blaring "warning" each other at all the blind intersections and roundabouts. Vietnamese use the horns all the time. VERY NOISY PLACE.

Lot's of new construction and it's going on at all hours.

On the bright side the beaches were nice and the city is a bit more spacious in places. Prices for hotels and apartments seemed pretty reasonable.

There is NO GIRL NIGHTLIFE scene similar to Pattaya. No beer bars, not go g bars. Nothing like that at all...if that's what your looking for, but I have heard there are some local girls who may be looking for foreigners for boyfriends. I got some smiles while out and about.

Shopping is very limited for western expats. Again it is geared toward Chinese and Koreans who make up the bulk of visitors there. Much more difficult to find western foods than in Pattaya. Pattaya has food land and Tesco and Big C. The Danang Big C is very small version of a Big C with very little of the same convenient western style or for that matter Thai style foods that are nice to get in Pattaya.

My decision?? I am going to stay in Pattaya and deal with the immigration red tape ... small price to pay for all that Pattaya has over Danang.

Did you go to a Lotte Mart or a Co Op Mart or a Mega Mart?

http://mmvietnam.com/en

http://lottemart.com.vn/

http://www.co-opmart.com.vn/

This clip is from one in HCMC, but they are all similar, across the country.

For electronics, NugyenKim is pretty good, and Lazada is also in Vietnam.

https://www.nguyenkim.com/

3 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Those days are over.

The law may still be in existence, but many unmarried foreigners / Vietnamese couples travel around Vietnam with no problems at all.  Obviously, ID has to be shown at check in, just like anywhere else, but there's no problems.

Sounds like a prime opportunity for the BiB to top up the tea fund. How's the corruption there?

On 4/30/2019 at 2:29 PM, Mahseer said:

so basically if you, or some fickle Norwegian couple, don't care for their company avoid Vung Tau and Nha Trang. 

And to think of  how so many posters accuse Thais of being xenophobic.

29 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

And to think of  how so many posters accuse Thais of being xenophobic.

Luckily when selecting a holiday destination one doesn't need to be PC. Nobody wants to holiday in Little Odessa, except Russians.

18 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Not a menace, as road speeds are lower than Thailand.  When crossing the road, just keep moving, the bikes will flow around you like wading across a river.  If you stop, you may get hit!

I disagree that road speeds are lower in Vietnam , the only reason why they seem to go slower is because of the amount on motorbikes .

Given the chance , they go full throttle and drive aggressively with a "me first , get out my way , beeeeeeeeeppppppp " attitude .

The only way to cross roads is to run and hope for the best . If you regularly cross roads in that manner , it would only be a matter of time before you get hit .

Run and hope for the best !!!!!!!!!

7 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

For electronics, NugyenKim is pretty good, and Lazada is also in Vietnam.

https://www.nguyenkim.com/

A note and a clear win for Vietnam: I tried right mouse button in chrome, "translate to English" on that website and it came out legible. Doing that on Thai websites gives horrible Thaiglish. The Latin based script they are using is much easier to read than Thai script, too.

48 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I disagree that road speeds are lower in Vietnam , the only reason why they seem to go slower is because of the amount on motorbikes .

Given the chance , they go full throttle and drive aggressively with a "me first , get out my way , beeeeeeeeeppppppp " attitude .

The only way to cross roads is to run and hope for the best . If you regularly cross roads in that manner , it would only be a matter of time before you get hit .

Run and hope for the best !!!!!!!!!

Choosing Thailand over Vietnam for it road safety really?? cheez talking about giving members here some serious false information.

Whats next? Claiming that Thailand has easier visas than Vietnam? ????

12 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Choosing Thailand over Vietnam for it road safety really?? cheez talking about giving members here some serious false information.

I am just giving my reasons as to why I felt that living in Vietnam isnt for me .

As I walk around alot , I felt that I was putting myself in danger every time that I walked across the road or had to walk in the road because the streets were full of clutter .

It was also the constant incessant beeping of horns  , about four seconds is the longest that you can go without a bike beeping .

Maybe if it wasnt for bike traffic and the beeping , maybe I would have decided to stay in Vietnam .

Thts just me though , others will be different .

BTW , I have no idea what the word "cheez" means and thus cannot understand the meaning of your last sentence 

8 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

If you like Patts, you're probably not going to like anywhere else in the world, long term.  ????

There is no other place in the world like Pattaya.  Anyone looking for a Pattaya, in any other country, will be disappointed.  There is no where else like it.

Ehmm Angeles City In Phillipines is offering exactly the same.

Pattaya is not special at all there is affordable prostitution options in so many places in the world.

Personally i like Jomtien Pattaya but not for these cheap bars i just like it for the food climate and international atmosphere that u don’t find in most other Thai cities.

14 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I am just giving my reasons as to why I felt that living in Vietnam isnt for me .

As I walk around alot , I felt that I was putting myself in danger every time that I walked across the road or had to walk in the road because the streets were full of clutter .

It was also the constant incessant beeping of horns  , about four seconds is the longest that you can go without a bike beeping .

Maybe if it wasnt for bike traffic and the beeping , maybe I would have decided to stay in Vietnam .

Thts just me though , others will be different .

BTW , I have no idea what the word "cheez" means and thus cannot understand the meaning of your last sentence 

Better to trust google than ur personal views about the road safety between the 2 Countries.

How many deaths here again between 10-20 April Songkran??

u memory seems very poorly.

Cheez means:  my goodness.

15 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I absolutely understand what you are saying, would do my head in a short space of time, some parts of China the same, drives me up the wall, some it just doesn't bother I know - lucky you.

6 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Better to trust google than ur personal views about the road safety between the 2 Countries.

How many deaths here again between 10-20 April Songkran??

u memory seems very poorly.

Cheez means:  my goodness.

You still dont seem to understand what I mean , I am not suggesting the roads are safer in Thailand .

Although the roads in Thailand are dangerous and there are more fatalities in Thailand  than Vietnam , those fatalities usually involve road vehicles  , motorbikes getting hit by cars or whatever .

I was talking about being a pedestrian , having to walk on the roads and to cross roads , although crossing roads in Thailand can be dangerous , crossing roads in Vietnam seemed to be a lot more dangerous , in Thailand you just have to keep an eye out for the occasional erratically driven motorbike , in Vietnam , theres about 100 times more motorbikes being driven erratically and all coming from six different directions.

Getting hit by a bike whilst crossing the road , you are likely just to get injured , rather than if you were on a bike and got hit by a car , so the fatality rates do not give an accurate picture of the dangers 

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

You still dont seem to understand what I mean , I am not suggesting the roads are safer in Thailand .

Although the roads in Thailand are dangerous and there are more fatalities in Thailand  than Vietnam , those fatalities usually involve road vehicles  , motorbikes getting hit by cars or whatever .

I was talking about being a pedestrian , having to walk on the roads and to cross roads , although crossing roads in Thailand can be dangerous , crossing roads in Vietnam seemed to be a lot more dangerous , in Thailand you just have to keep an eye out for the occasional erratically driven motorbike , in Vietnam , theres about 100 times more motorbikes being driven erratically and all coming from six different directions.

Getting hit by a bike whilst crossing the road , you are likely just to get injured , rather than if you were on a bike and got hit by a car , so the fatality rates do not give an accurate picture of the dangers 

If u care about road safety and then favoring Thailand over Vietnam it does not make sense. 

Do ur best and come up with an better argument for Pattaya to stand out from DaNang. 

Road safety topics best to avoid.

6 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

If u care about road safety and then favoring Thailand over Vietnam it does not make sense. 

Do ur best and come up with an better argument for Pattaya to stand out from DaNang. 

Road safety topics best to avoid.

I have jut stated as to why I wouldnt want to live in Danang .

And also for pedestrian  (Those who prefer to walk places , rather than to drive) , IMO Thailand is alot safer then Danang  .

I did recently start a thread about relocating to Vietnam and I seem to have found myself in this thread , I have never been to Pattaya and have no intention of ever going there .

If it was a straight choice between Pattaya and Danang, I would stay in Chiang Mai .

(BTW , could you start writing your words in full and stop using abbreviations , like "U" & "ur"?)

3 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Whats next? Claiming that Thailand has easier visas than Vietnam? ????

Having driven in both countries I find I feel safer driving a motorbike in Pattaya as opposed to Danang. In Danang all the blind intersections (no stop signs anywhere) and roundabouts are hazardous and horns are blaring constantly and tough to know why. Road speeds are no different and I think I saw about 3 traffic lights in the entire beach side of town. No stop signs anywhere, all blind intersections and ME FIRST to get across. Trucks really lay on the horn and could be right behind you doing it. Ferkin' not my kind of comfortable driving. I'll take driving a scooter in Pattaya to Danang any day. Oh and also... there are way more scooters on the road in Danang so makes it even tougher to navigate safely for me. There are fewer cars but A LOT more scooters.

7 minutes ago, likerdup1 said:

Having driven in both countries I find I feel safer driving a motorbike in Pattaya as opposed to Danang. In Danang all the blind intersections (no stop signs anywhere) and roundabouts are hazardous and horns are blaring constantly and tough to know why. Road speeds are no different and I think I saw about 3 traffic lights in the entire beach side of town. No stop signs anywhere, all blind intersections and ME FIRST to get across. Trucks really lay on the horn and could be right behind you doing it. Ferkin' not my kind of comfortable driving. I'll take driving a scooter in Pattaya to Danang any day. Oh and also... there are way more scooters on the road in Danang so makes it even tougher to navigate safely for me. There are fewer cars but A LOT more scooters.

I try to walk about 8000-9000 steps daily and otherwise i go by taxi or with my own car. Good-luck with ur motorbike driving don’t forget some sunblock lotion!

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

I have jut stated as to why I wouldnt want to live in Danang .

And also for pedestrian  (Those who prefer to walk places , rather than to drive) , IMO Thailand is alot safer then Danang  .

I did recently start a thread about relocating to Vietnam and I seem to have found myself in this thread , I have never been to Pattaya and have no intention of ever going there .

If it was a straight choice between Pattaya and Danang, I would stay in Chiang Mai .

(BTW , could you start writing your words in full and stop using abbreviations , like "U" & "ur"?)

CM its a nice town for a long weekend or a mid week.

But not for longer due too the poor air quality in Chiang Mai that’s like an silent killer.

12 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Those days are over.

Don't know for sure. I heard the warnings and passing it along to others who may not know the law. Things are never a problem until they are a problem... coming out of a side street on a mb without stopping and not looking left isn't a problem until the approaching vehicle is going too fast and can't stop...a farang husband cleaning tables at his wife's restaurant isn't a problem until someone drops a dime on him and he is charged with no work permit,...having a woman in your room may not be a problem until that angry front desk clerk resents a viet woman sleeping with a foreigner.

8 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

It sounds to me he gave good info.

So why are you asking for peoples opinions about the place when you can refer to google??

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

It sounds to me he gave good info.

So why are you asking for peoples opinions about the place when you can refer to google??

He said Vietnam is traffic wise more dangerous than Thailand that is incorrect  information.

Google it ur self.

7 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

He said Vietnam is traffic wise more dangerous than Thailand that is incorrect  information.

Google it ur self.

No I did nt .

I said that I found crossing the roads in Vietnam to be more dangerous that crossing the streets in Thailand , due to the large amount of motorbikes on Danangs roads and the streets being impassable in numerous places and forcing pedestrians to walk on the road 

14 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Google it ur self.

I didnt make any mention of Pattayas traffic , I just mentioned Danags traffic 

Archived