Groin numbness while riding

55Jay

Experience numbness of my genitals when riding, onset about 10 kilometers / 20-30 minutes into the ride session.

My daily ride target is 20 kilometers but I've been cutting down lately because of this uncomfortable issue.  Also thought the daily instances of numbness down there might lead to other problems.

Bought a high quality gel seat cover yesterday, did the afternoon ride, no change, still numb.

Googled up some info online this morning, thought I would share here.   

I'll start playing around with seat and handlebars positions to see if I can get some relief.

https://www.onhealth.com/content/1/groin_numbness_and_bike_riding

I get severe erectile dysfunction from cycling, and specifically the six pints of cider we have at the end.  

Erectile dysfunction during the ride is not an issue that troubles me. I normally wear ordinary sports shorts, and sometimes the onion bag liner cuts off the blood supply resulting in numbness.

Experience numbness of my genitals when riding, onset about 10 kilometers / 20-30 minutes into the ride session.
My daily ride target is 20 kilometers but I've been cutting down lately because of this uncomfortable issue.  Also thought the daily instances of numbness down there might lead to other problems.

Bought a high quality gel seat cover yesterday, did the afternoon ride, no change, still numb.

Googled up some info online this morning, thought I would share here.   
I'll start playing around with seat and handlebars positions to see if I can get some relief.

https://www.onhealth.com/content/1/groin_numbness_and_bike_riding

Depending on your riding position and seat size - try and keep the front end of the saddle tilted downwards - just a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Well it sounds as though something is being over pressurised to say the least but unless you are "oversized" in that department I would suggest that you need a good bike fitter to resolve the problem. (this is assuming that you have the right size of bike in the first place)

There  are adjustments that can be done by yourself to alleviate these  pressures like inclining the seat downwards by 5/10 degrees  or even dropping the seat post a  bit, (try half an inch downwards from the horizontal)  even getting more vertical in the handle bars could help.

Edit to my friend StreetCowboy, keep it up (metaphorically ) of course Jon lad your missives  always make good reading . 

8 hours ago, n210mp said:

Well it sounds as though something is being over pressurised to say the least but unless you are "oversized" in that department I would suggest that you need a good bike fitter to resolve the problem. (this is assuming that you have the right size of bike in the first place)

There  are adjustments that can be done by yourself to alleviate these  pressures like inclining the seat downwards by 5/10 degrees  or even dropping the seat post a  bit, (try half an inch downwards from the horizontal)  even getting more vertical in the handle bars could help.

Edit to my friend StreetCowboy, keep it up (metaphorically ) of course Jon lad your missives  always make good reading . 

Thanks, and to others who commented ^.  Adjusted the seat front down a bit today and at the 10k mark, a noticeable difference.  Still some minor tweaking on the vertical height and I'll also remove that thick gel seat cover I put on 2 days ago.  Thanks again.

Thanks, and to others who commented ^.  Adjusted the seat front down a bit today and at the 10k mark, a noticeable difference.  Still some minor tweaking on the vertical height and I'll also remove that thick gel seat cover I put on 2 days ago.  Thanks again.

Keep at it :-) ... cycling is a great way to get fit - And it’s easy on your knees ...

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 5 weeks later...

I scrapped my road bike saddle, which was coming apart something dreadful, and replaced it with the old saddle off my mountain bike (which bike, as you know, has a lady’s fat soft saddle now). At the moment it’s more or less dead level, in accordance with UCI regulations, and I was ok for 117 km two weeks ago. At the start of the ride, though, it feels like it might benefit by being half an inch lower in the nose, for the sake of my <deleted>

While it may be counterintuitive, softer is not always better. I find the most comfort with a saddle that allows the majority of my weight to rest in my two sit bones.

Also, a road bike coach used to tell us if our butts hurt, we needed to pedal harder. :)

I ride with this saddle and even after two or three hours I find that I have not thought about the saddle or my butt for the entire ride.

IMG_0587.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

soft is not the way to go.  harder saddles are generally better for long-distance riding. 

get rid of the gel cover, and consider different saddles.  look for one with a center cutout to relieve pressure.

after a short break-in period, a brooks leather saddle is good for 100-mile days.

Thanks for the follow ups.  Yes, I removed that thick gel seat cover same day I adjusted the saddle angle.  Also raised the handlebars up a bit.  Better, good enough for what I do.

Not a long distance, serious enthusiast.  Bike was a replacement for running, which was starting to take a toll on me.  Now it's 20-23k on the bike around a circuit, then back home for second half of exercise routine.

assume this is a road bike?  you'll get more comfort on a hybrid or mtb.

you could get a "professional" fit done, possible in some of the local bike shops.  they put you on a spincycle rig connected to video monitors and computer, change the seat/stem/headtube dimensions as you ride to dial in your correct measurements.

saw one setup at a mall in patumthani....must be others in bangkok.

Back in the day after I retired from real work at a very early age I pursued my own passion of riding mountain bikes and ended up owning five mountain bike shops in Singapore as well as being a major importer of frames, bikes and accessories,  was also the main distributer for Camelbak in SEA

This is a very common complaint that implies you are putting too much pressure on that part because your weight is too far forward. Try:

Move the saddle forward if you can to give you a more upright position.

Look to see if there is any room to add spacers in the aheadset on the steerer tube to raise the bar stem, or if not a few degrees riser bar stem might help.

A shorter bar stem will also help throwing more weight on your butt and not on that sensitive area.

Rise bars or bar ends might also help

The cutaway saddle as shown by SpokaneAl  in post 13 is a great solution, we sold hundreds of those with never even one complaint only praise :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

I dropped the nose of my saddle 5 mm for the sake of my cobblers, and then the pedal clip came out of my shoe going through the washing machine.

At first I felt that the new saddle angle was making me slip forward, but now I think it is putting too much weight on my arms - eapecially combined with the harder faster tyres.

I’m sceptical about bike-fitting - I don’t really care about comfort in the morning, I’m more worried about how I feel in the fading light 120 km later.

7 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

I dropped the nose of my saddle 5 mm for the sake of my cobblers, and then the pedal clip came out of my shoe going through the washing machine.

At first I felt that the new saddle angle was making me slip forward, but now I think it is putting too much weight on my arms - eapecially combined with the harder faster tyres.

I’m sceptical about bike-fitting - I don’t really care about comfort in the morning, I’m more worried about how I feel in the fading light 120 km later.

This might help, feels odd, but doesn't press your parts.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/promotion-bicycle-seat-thickening-widened-mountain-bike-seat-cushion-bicycle-seat-i300572874-s517412884.html

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

The only problem with my parts is a little numbness from the onion bag riding up too tight, but I reckon that’s not really a problem as I wouldn’t want to ride standing up in any case, for fear of embarrassing ladies in the peloton, as well as myself. I’m more worried about arm, shoulder and neck pain. I am fortunate that I carry a lot of padding under my shorts, to protect my sittting bones.

Dropping the saddle nose did help my descending, as when I’m crouched over the bars, I push my back end out and rest my beer gut on the nose of the saddle...

On 6/6/2019 at 12:22 PM, Rimmer said:

The cutaway saddle as shown by SpokaneAl  in post 13 is a great solution, we sold hundreds of those with never even one complaint only praise

what would a decent cutaway saddle cost here in Thailand ?   I am in CM  if anyone has any local recommendations.   

Seems to me that thinking causes the same numbness of the brain and surrounding area for many people, especially here in Thailand; the land of optional thinking.

You really don't have to think.

On 4/28/2019 at 6:46 PM, 55Jay said:

What about the newer seat designs that have either a cutout or an indent/lowered section in the genital area for men?  And obviously have a seat wide enough so that your weight and pressure is on your bum, and not on your genital area...

From what I've read, the bicycle seat problem can tend to effect/result in prostate problems more than the ED issue.

1493771336_2019-06-1821_38_52.jpg.da5106c02117ca9d6176922252d609b7.jpg

881973082_2019-06-1821_39_04.jpg.d0eefa1bb467656ba5ae336d24fecf25.jpg

250082350_2019-06-1821_39_17.jpg.903ec393e068533ac56826aae57c957e.jpg

29 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

What about the newer seat designs that have either a cutout or an indent/lowered section in the genital area for men?  And obviously have a seat wide enough so that your weight and pressure is on your bum, and not on your genital area...

From what I've read, the bicycle seat problem can tend to effect/result in prostate problems more than the ED issue.

1493771336_2019-06-1821_38_52.jpg.da5106c02117ca9d6176922252d609b7.jpg

881973082_2019-06-1821_39_04.jpg.d0eefa1bb467656ba5ae336d24fecf25.jpg

250082350_2019-06-1821_39_17.jpg.903ec393e068533ac56826aae57c957e.jpg

That’s for your prostate, or lady’s parts.  A slot that size will just provide edges for your cobblers, not accomodating gaps. You really should not be sitting on your knackers.

I’m tempted to raise my saddle 5 or 10 mm to let me pedal without my thighs juggling my walnuts, but it’s not uncomfortable, and I’m not driven to standing up on the faster sections

43 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

That’s for your prostate, or lady’s parts.  A slot that size will just provide edges for your cobblers, not accomodating gaps. You really should not be sitting on your knackers.

I’m tempted to raise my saddle 5 or 10 mm to let me pedal without my thighs juggling my walnuts, but it’s not uncomfortable, and I’m not driven to standing up on the faster sections

I just started riding again after a long layoff. My road bike originally had a typical narrow width seat that no longer provided support on my bum bones, and instead had a lot of my weight when sitting on my groin area.... and I'd get numb there after 15+ minutes of riding... 

The original seat was something like 6 inches wide at its widest point. I bought a new one with an indent from Lazada that's about 8 inches wide, better, but still uncomfortable. So I just ordered the seat I posted photos above of from Amazon U.S., with an 11 inch maximum width, and the center cutout/indents.  Will see soon if the latest one fares better and solves the issue.

But I also agree that pointing the front portion of the seat downward at a slight angle will tend to take the pressure off the front part of the groin area.

A 5mm adjustment is pretty substantial. I would suggest one mm or two mm at the most between test rides.

• 1 month later...
On 6/6/2019 at 12:10 AM, SpokaneAl said:

While it may be counterintuitive, softer is not always better. I find the most comfort with a saddle that allows the majority of my weight to rest in my two sit bones.

Also, a road bike coach used to tell us if our butts hurt, we needed to pedal harder. ????

I ride with this saddle and even after two or three hours I find that I have not thought about the saddle or my butt for the entire ride.

IMG_0587.jpg

It's a bummer this saddle is not on Lazada. But then again, the cost is $120 or more where it IS available so if it isn't a happy marriage with your gluteus maximus your out a lotta crank for nothin'. Personally, though I'll admit to being pretty ignorant on it, I find the pricing of bike saddles up there with men's razors and printer cartridges. Really doesn't seem there could possibly be all that much to this inanimate, quite simple piece of equipment. I think "they're" taking the piss out of us. Am I missing something?

Archived