BANGKOK 19 July 2019 02:51
55Jay

Groin numbness while riding

Experience numbness of my genitals when riding, onset about 10 kilometers / 20-30 minutes into the ride session.

My daily ride target is 20 kilometers but I've been cutting down lately because of this uncomfortable issue.  Also thought the daily instances of numbness down there might lead to other problems.

Bought a high quality gel seat cover yesterday, did the afternoon ride, no change, still numb.

Googled up some info online this morning, thought I would share here.   

I'll start playing around with seat and handlebars positions to see if I can get some relief.

https://www.onhealth.com/content/1/groin_numbness_and_bike_riding

• Like 1

I think that may affect your bike control - to some extent you steer the bike with your thighs

• Like 1

I think that may affect your bike control - to some extent you steer the bike with your thighs

That does to some extent depend on the type of cycling you do and how fit you are in general - and your weight (or to say it more bluntly how fat you are)

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

Well it sounds as though something is being over pressurised to say the least but unless you are "oversized" in that department I would suggest that you need a good bike fitter to resolve the problem. (this is assuming that you have the right size of bike in the first place)

There  are adjustments that can be done by yourself to alleviate these  pressures like inclining the seat downwards by 5/10 degrees  or even dropping the seat post a  bit, (try half an inch downwards from the horizontal)  even getting more vertical in the handle bars could help.

Edit to my friend StreetCowboy, keep it up (metaphorically ) of course Jon lad your missives  always make good reading . 

8 hours ago, n210mp said:

Well it sounds as though something is being over pressurised to say the least but unless you are "oversized" in that department I would suggest that you need a good bike fitter to resolve the problem. (this is assuming that you have the right size of bike in the first place)

There  are adjustments that can be done by yourself to alleviate these  pressures like inclining the seat downwards by 5/10 degrees  or even dropping the seat post a  bit, (try half an inch downwards from the horizontal)  even getting more vertical in the handle bars could help.

Edit to my friend StreetCowboy, keep it up (metaphorically ) of course Jon lad your missives  always make good reading . 

Thanks, and to others who commented ^.  Adjusted the seat front down a bit today and at the 10k mark, a noticeable difference.  Still some minor tweaking on the vertical height and I'll also remove that thick gel seat cover I put on 2 days ago.  Thanks again.

Wearing one these dedicated padded cycling shorts does help a lot in this respect.

Thanks, and to others who commented ^.  Adjusted the seat front down a bit today and at the 10k mark, a noticeable difference.  Still some minor tweaking on the vertical height and I'll also remove that thick gel seat cover I put on 2 days ago.  Thanks again.

Keep at it :-) ... cycling is a great way to get fit - And it’s easy on your knees ...

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Thanks 1

Bike position. Saddle slightly tilted but also look saddle height, at stem length and handlebar height. Google is your friend for bike set up.

I scrapped my road bike saddle, which was coming apart something dreadful, and replaced it with the old saddle off my mountain bike (which bike, as you know, has a lady’s fat soft saddle now). At the moment it’s more or less dead level, in accordance with UCI regulations, and I was ok for 117 km two weeks ago. At the start of the ride, though, it feels like it might benefit by being half an inch lower in the nose, for the sake of my <deleted>

While it may be counterintuitive, softer is not always better. I find the most comfort with a saddle that allows the majority of my weight to rest in my two sit bones.

Also, a road bike coach used to tell us if our butts hurt, we needed to pedal harder. :)

I ride with this saddle and even after two or three hours I find that I have not thought about the saddle or my butt for the entire ride.

IMG_0587.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

soft is not the way to go.  harder saddles are generally better for long-distance riding. 

get rid of the gel cover, and consider different saddles.  look for one with a center cutout to relieve pressure.

after a short break-in period, a brooks leather saddle is good for 100-mile days.

• Like 2

Thanks for the follow ups.  Yes, I removed that thick gel seat cover same day I adjusted the saddle angle.  Also raised the handlebars up a bit.  Better, good enough for what I do.

Not a long distance, serious enthusiast.  Bike was a replacement for running, which was starting to take a toll on me.  Now it's 20-23k on the bike around a circuit, then back home for second half of exercise routine.

• Like 1

assume this is a road bike?  you'll get more comfort on a hybrid or mtb.

you could get a "professional" fit done, possible in some of the local bike shops.  they put you on a spincycle rig connected to video monitors and computer, change the seat/stem/headtube dimensions as you ride to dial in your correct measurements.

saw one setup at a mall in patumthani....must be others in bangkok.