is it safe to ride a bike in Thailand

moose7117

Is it safe to Ride a scooter or big bike in Thailand ?  

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only option is no, but there should be another option. Perhaps you could die a horrible death.

I guess you meant a bike ( motorcycle), or a scooter? As Mr. Dilligad already mentioned the risk can be minimized with a lot of riding experience and of course protective clothing. Riding without a helmet and wearing sandals multiplies the risk.

Tourists think a scooter is a toy riding around in flip flops and a singha vest. Lots of them you can see walking around with legs heavily bandaged and then there is extortion fee to fix bike scratches etc

Most bike riders are dead men riding. Might not happen this year or next year but it WILL happen

One with negligible previous experience can do about 40 000 km over a few years on a scooter in Thailand getting to unseen and remote corners of the Kingdom and visiting neighboring countries, too, without a major problem. Riding in big cities like BKK takes boldness, awareness, and consideration, but still reasonably safe. The main rule is never to insist on your imagined right of way, and to respect others. This is where the greatest risk for a Westerner lies. Next comes speed. It maims and kills. 

It depends on your school of thought and risk profile... 

An equally wide ranging question would be is Thailand safe? - in comparison to our home countries it's less safe. The same can be said of the roads.

The Roads are less safe than many of our home countries when driving a car, risk to our own wellbeing and safety is exacerbated when we choose to ride a motorcycle. 

Once we get down to the nuts and bolts of it we can limit much of the risk by when and how we ride, also how we interpret and understand the 'traffic culture' around us. 

I limit my risk by: 

- Never riding at night 

- Never riding under the influence 

- Having driven here for 15 years before riding here

- Understanding that anything can and will happen for the oddest or unpredictable of reasons

The kit you wear can limit your risk. Whenever possible I wear protective (kevlar Jeans / or riding pants, Jacket and boots) - recently its been too hot, so when nipping out on the bike (BMW G310GS) its been in shorts, trainers, t-shirt, gloves & helmet - its still too hot, I've used the bike about 3 times in the past 3 weeks !

Thus: Is riding safe, probably not, but I voted it is Safe because I have ridden both scooters and Motorcycles here and drive here (in Bangkok) and although the stats are terrible I've had 3 minor bumps in a car, none on a motorcycle and see surprisingly few accidents given the density of traffic. 

2 minutes ago, MaksimMislavsky said:

Whoever was born, is bound to die. Yes, it WILL happen, one way or another, one day or another.

Im an rider but chucked it in after a few near misses. I believe my life expectancy has dramatically increased assuming I dont get hit by a bus.

Thailand is world no.1 in road deaths so its kind of crazy to choose to ride a bike here .

I ride about 6,000km a year in Pattaya, once you have good enough skill and know the roads its ok. But, you have to concentrate 100% as plenty of people going too fast, drunk driving and making mistakes. In the last week, a guy in a car coming straight at me on 2nd road the wrong way. Another farang on a bike starts a U-turn without looking both ways. Bozos about.

i often watch videos of motorbike accidents in Thailand, every single one has been ridiculous reckless driving, so if you ride carefully and wear a good helmet hopefully you'll be ok, we all need some luck too, or just no bad luck.

Most people commenting on this thread will be frightened rabbit non riders

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

It depends on your school of thought and risk profile... 

An equally wide ranging question would be is Thailand safe? - in comparison to our home countries it's less safe. The same can be said of the roads.

The Roads are less safe than many of our home countries when driving a car, risk to our own wellbeing and safety is exacerbated when we choose to ride a motorcycle. 

Once we get down to the nuts and bolts of it we can limit much of the risk by when and how we ride, also how we interpret and understand the 'traffic culture' around us. 

I limit my risk by: 

- Never riding at night 

- Never riding under the influence 

- Having driven here for 15 years before riding here

- Understanding that anything can and will happen for the oddest or unpredictable of reasons

The kit you wear can limit your risk. Whenever possible I wear protective (kevlar Jeans / or riding pants, Jacket and boots) - recently its been too hot, so when nipping out on the bike (BMW G310GS) its been in shorts, trainers, t-shirt, gloves & helmet - its still too hot, I've used the bike about 3 times in the past 3 weeks !

Thus: Is riding safe, probably not, but I voted it is Safe because I have ridden both scooters and Motorcycles here and drive here (in Bangkok) and although the stats are terrible I've had 3 minor bumps in a car, none on a motorcycle and see surprisingly few accidents given the density of traffic. 

Never riding at night 

Seriously? It's no more dangerous than in the daytime.

Whenever possible I wear protective (kevlar Jeans / or riding pants, Jacket and boots) - recently its been too hot, so when nipping out on the bike (BMW G310GS) its been in shorts, trainers, t-shirt, gloves & helmet - its still too hot, I've used the bike about 3 times in the past 3 weeks !

Seriously? It's way too hot for all that gear. I rode with helmet and gloves, but in shorts and t shirt and flip flops. I accepted the risk and got badly scraped when I had my accident, but the helmet saved my life.

I always cringed when I saw everyone riding without gloves as hands are fragile and a scrape will ruin them. The m'bike taxi drivers do wear them- only sensible m'bike riders in LOS.

OP. A "bike" is not the same as a motorbike or scooter. A bike has pedals and no engine.

It is definitely not safe to ride a bike in LOS.

18 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

once you have good enough skill and know the roads its ok. But, you have to concentrate 100%

Exactly, and that takes the 'fun/relaxing/feeling of freedom' part away from the driving.

Been riding big bikes for 45 years, only had two accidents. First one was in Aus, avoiding oncoming car in my lane at night, ended up in a ditch and hospital. Last one was six years ago, Thailand, woman ran a red light. One week in ICU, three weeks in hospital bed with 5 operations. Have always worn full protective gear no matter what the weather. I still feel more safe on the bike than in a car as I have more chance of avoiding the idiots.

4 hours ago, moose7117 said:

Please explain your answer

yes, scooter or big bike

Rided bikes in UK from a young age, was professionally trained on road and track also passed an advance road test.

I don't fine Thailand different than other countries once you learn there road use ways.

Rided bikes in UK from a young age, was professionally trained on road and track also passed an advance road test.
I don't fine Thailand different than other countries once you learn there road use ways.

Just curious, have you found as many drunk drivers/feral dogs and vehicles with no lights-on, in other countries?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, DILLIGAD said:

Just curious, have you found as many drunk drivers/feral dogs and vehicles with no lights-on, in other countries?

Never come across drunk drivers, dogs get out the way and my lights pick up peoples vehicles with no lights, not that I travel much at night.

I've never had a bad accident on a motorcycle only in cars in my lifetime go figure !!. 

13 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

OP. A "bike" is not the same as a motorbike or scooter. A bike has pedals and no engine.

Bike in the common venacular and according to the oxford dictionary is slang for either a bicycle or motorbike. 

How much mileage a year do you do on a bicycle? are you talking from experience or just a frightened rabbit non rider?

13 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

This is fairly typical, people going through red lights. You can't go just because its turned green.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=otU4_1556316669

Hiway 331 coming south toward Pattaya has many red-lights with long waits.

This morning, impatient, stopped, then, when clear, jumped 5 of them.

Max-performance launch.

Not many cops out there.

Sucks very big sitting there with the big trucks, loud, breathing dirty air, &c.

... ceeber running great.

Yes.

I've been riding globally for over 40 years. I've been riding in Thailand a little over 20 years, in and out of the country. I've probably clocked up around 30,000 miles over here on bikes and significantly more on 4 wheels. Ridden all over the country.

Several prangs over the years, nothing major. All with mindless idiots that were , 'surprise surprise', drunk.

I ride a decent 1000cc sports bike and a twist-n-go shopping mobile.

Always .....and I really do mean it honestly guys ...... ALWAYS ..... RIDE DEFENSIVELY.

Expect dogs, cattle and random people in the road. Expect foolish children on scooters, oncoming traffic in your lane, tossers overtaking on blind bends and crap in the middle of the road to spoil your day and your odds of a safe days ride will be good.

I guess the roads get easier as your experience improves.

Riding like you would in Europe, the US, Australia etc and expecting the Thais to act accordingly is only going to end in tears.

Hell no- Idiot drivers have no respect for bicyclists or pedestrians on the road; in fact, many Thai drivers will speed up when passing you by ( it’s a macho thing with them),

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 4/27/2019 at 3:33 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Never riding at night 

Seriously? It's no more dangerous than in the daytime.

I consider riding at night more dangerous, primarily because there are more drunk people riding at night, the road lighting is often very poor, people drive with a high level of Windscreen tint impacting their visibility, lots of people driving / riding around with poor eyesight which is worse at night... 

There are lots of reasons that riding at night is a lot more dangerous than riding in the day time. 

It's up to you what you do. I for one consider riding at night a risk not worth taking unless absolutely necessary. 

Whenever possible I wear protective (kevlar Jeans / or riding pants, Jacket and boots) - recently its been too hot, so when nipping out on the bike (BMW G310GS) its been in shorts, trainers, t-shirt, gloves & helmet - its still too hot, I've used the bike about 3 times in the past 3 weeks !

Seriously? It's way too hot for all that gear. I rode with helmet and gloves, but in shorts and t shirt and flip flops. I accepted the risk and got badly scraped when I had my accident, but the helmet saved my life.

Yes, seriously - protective kit is a must. Those of us (I mean myself too) who don't use it because of the heat are taking additional chances, especially when it could mean walking away from an accident with a couple of bruises vs walking away from an accident with a skinned leg, a de-gloved foot a broken elbow etc...  

But - riding a bike is a compromise and when it gets too hot I turn into a hypocrite and wear shorts and T-shirt (but ride with helmet, gloves and trainers (never flip flops)).

I always cringed when I saw everyone riding without gloves as hands are fragile and a scrape will ruin them. The m'bike taxi drivers do wear them- only sensible m'bike riders in LOS.

Me too... Always gloves, always helmet, always trainers. It's not enough, but its better than nothing in a 10kmh bump and fall !...  beyond that we have to count on luck !

He's knows the difference and you know what he meant in the Op.

In the past two days I've had the ABS engage twice... 

Yesterday on my Motorcycle when the motorcycle in front of me just stopped hard instead of driving over a metal plate in the road (4m x3m plate covering some road works), I couldn't go round him as I was aware of another bike cutting off my escape route to my left, and the possibility of a car coming up my right-hand side in the second lane...  I had little choice but to break hard - I did, but the ABS also came on (dry road, but polished asphalt).... Without ABS I may have lost the front end. 

Today entering the tollway, followed another car through the EasyPass lane, accelerating to driving speed up the ramp following the car in front. The car in front just stopped dead... No idea why, he just hit the brakes hard and stopped while we were doing 80kmh. I stopped at bout 3m behind him, but felt my ABS kick in (again crappy polished asphalt).

Cars & bikes do the most dangerous and random things when least expected... 

Its often a topic of debate, but given the poor road quality over here (polished) I'm not sure I'd want to ride around on a bike without ABS especially in an Emergency breaking situation.

It's safe if one drives within their limitations, defensively and with threat awareness.

I revert to the car when the roads are wet. I never ride the scooter at night, because risk escalates massively with drunks and those high on yaa baa. Plus my peripheral vision is compromised in night conditions.

Archived