is it safe to ride a bike in Thailand

moose7117

Is it safe to Ride a scooter or big bike in Thailand ?  

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It’s as dangerous as the rider makes it.

If you’ve never ridden a bike before and decided that you’re going to teach yourself in Thailand wearing only flip flops and a Chang vest with no helmet then you’re asking for trouble.

With some experience under your belt, appropriate protection and keeping your wits about you it’s relatively safe IMO, especially compared to surrounding countries like Vietnam.

I NEVER drive drunk, without a helmet or gloves or in flip flops. If I’m doing a big ride, I’ll stick on the Kevlar jeans and mesh jacket as well.

There are a lot of dangers but you quickly learn to anticipate crazy drivers overtaking on blind bends, cyclists weaving all over their road.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/27/2019 at 3:39 PM, Vacuum said:

But, you have to concentrate 100%

I thought this applied to driving/riding in general? 

I also think that the 100% concentration is the great thing about riding. It is like meditation. One cannot think about anything else. 

Love riding my Aerox 155 at every chance I get. Always tell folks that a sure test for "Oldtimers" is riding in Thailand. All brain synapse have to be firing or you are taken down. Lesson I learned was never to try and carry/hold something in your left hand. Went down at slow speed twice by braking with the right hand on a sandy curve. Sandpapered myself, so I have played, "the mummy". Now, if something won't fit under the seat or in the rear box, I take the car.

I ride a Bicycle not a motorbike nearly every day you need to concentrate all the time. I do not understand people driving the wrong way they pull out in front of you with out looking on there mobile phones. I could go on and on i have been knocked off my bike once pulled out of his house drive with out looking i was lucky.

My wife wants me to stop riding the Bicycle. I know its only a matter of time before i have another accident but it keeps me fit and i enjoy my 50/60 k daily cycle ride.

Watch Bad DrivingAsia videos on YouTube. There are more thai videos than any other country. A few things stand out:

-Amazingly, 80% of the crashes happen BEFORE the brakes are applied.

-There is a profound lack of sympathy in the videos for the victims. It is a countrywide psychological disorder known as blunt effect.

-Thais lack of driving skills is very evident.

-In some cases, they appear to try to crash into each other.

-their pathological disobedience of the traffic laws is absurd.

-They tailgate each other at one car length behind at 100+kph. 

I love motorcycles. I have been riding since my early teens. I would never get in a bike here. Never.

Imagine that you had a very tall 2nd grader, and you taught that child the mechanics of driving, physics of driving, and rules of the road. Then you told that child that he could disregard all these things and drive as he pleases.

That is EVERY thai driver ever.

23 minutes ago, RUOK said:

I ride a Bicycle not a motorbike nearly every day you need to concentrate all the time. I do not understand people driving the wrong way they pull out in front of you with out looking on there mobile phones. I could go on and on i have been knocked off my bike once pulled out of his house drive with out looking i was lucky.

My wife wants me to stop riding the Bicycle. I know its only a matter of time before i have another accident but it keeps me fit and i enjoy my 50/60 k daily cycle ride.

I ride my Carerra mountain bike a few times a week. I don't go on main roads. Cut across country whenever possible. Biggest problems for me is bamboo, holes and people suddenly jumping out in front offering water. Of course, if the person offering the drink is a nice lady I stop for a while.

Generally I try to get the breathing up to about 15 breaths a minute. I take plenty of water and that is handy when you are offered Lao khow (to wash it down). Daughter took my helmet and made a little home for this mouse she had found, so I am wearing a trilby for the moment. I like to be visible so I wear my Wigan shirt, and if that is in the wash, the Chelsea yellow one.

A bar girl once told me that a bike rider (push bike) can expect an accident every 95k. I've had one accident - completely my own fault - and I'm due another soon I reckon.

On 4/27/2019 at 11:40 AM, moose7117 said:

Please explain your answer

Please explain your question.

People live and die on the roads in every country in the world. Irrespective of whether they are riding a bike, driving or walking ?

It must be very good for your health, probably less chance getting cardio issues, diabetes etc

Watch Bad DrivingAsia videos on YouTube. There are more thai videos than any other country. A few things stand out:
-Amazingly, 80% of the crashes happen BEFORE the brakes are applied.
-There is a profound lack of sympathy in the videos for the victims. It is a countrywide psychological disorder known as blunt effect.
-Thais lack of driving skills is very evident.
-In some cases, they appear to try to crash into each other.
-their pathological disobedience of the traffic laws is absurd.
-They tailgate each other at one car length behind at 100+kph. 

I love motorcycles. I have been riding since my early teens. I would never get in a bike here. Never.
What you failed to mention is in these videos there is usually someone really stupid, often the motorbike rider but not always of course

Thailand has some of the world's worst road death statistics for motorbikes. However, you can significantly decrease your chances of becoming one by doing things differently than the locals such as wearing a helmet and riding defensively. Personally, I ride daily and have ridden +40,000km so far on a 155cc scooter, 700cc and 1000cc big bikes and haven't had a single traffic accident. There are plenty of fellow expats here who've done hundreds of thousands of km's without a single accident. 

Other than the above, here are my tips for surviving in Thailand on motorbikes:

• Imagine it's a video game where every other road user is out there to kill you by surprise. Constantly anticipate their next moves and be ready for an escape plan (whether it's braking, dodging to the right or left etc.) Always stay in 'active mode' and never get too slow, relaxed and start daydreaming. 
  • I always ride slightly above the speed of other traffic and ride on the middle or rightmost lanes when possible. This way, you will have to mostly worry about what happens in front of you and avoid drivers doing dangerous overtakes. Minimize the time in dangerous places such as between trucks, cars or their blind spots. Always get in front of traffic so you have an empty road for yourself, don't stay behind and get stuck in packs of traffic. A slightly aggressive (but defensive!) riding style can be safer than a slow-paced relaxed style in areas with lots of traffic. 
  • Get a bike with ABS, Thai roads are very slippery. It can be a lifesaver even for a rider with over 10 years experience!
  • Get a bike with decent size wheels, Thai roads are bumpy with lots of potholes and small/thin scooter wheels can be lethal. If going for a small motorbike, e.g. Aerox 155. 
  • Go to a riding course, even after 10 years of riding I always learn something new and improve. 

On 4/29/2019 at 2:21 AM, VocalNeal said:

I thought this applied to driving/riding in general? 

I also think that the 100% concentration is the great thing about riding. It is like meditation. One cannot think about anything else. 

Couldn't agree more. Countless times I've got on the bike in Bangkok after a crappy week at work spent arguing with difficult, pedantic, arrogant colleagues feeling like a very angry man.

2 hours later I arrive at the beach feeling positively Zen like. I'd go as far as to say that it would be hazardous to my health in Thailand if I was forced to drive a car every day or use public transport.

On 4/27/2019 at 4:06 PM, Mister T said:

Been riding big bikes for 45 years, only had two accidents. First one was in Aus, avoiding oncoming car in my lane at night, ended up in a ditch and hospital. Last one was six years ago, Thailand, woman ran a red light. One week in ICU, three weeks in hospital bed with 5 operations. Have always worn full protective gear no matter what the weather. I still feel more safe on the bike than in a car as I have more chance of avoiding the idiots.

I had a rippa back in Oz. Old lady didn’t look before turning as I was heading through a green light. 2 weeks ICU, 4 months on a brain injury ward and 3+ years of rehab to get my arm working again. 

I’ve only broken my pinky finger here so far 555

100% agreed regarding your thoughts of feeling safer on a bike 

On 4/29/2019 at 2:14 AM, belfast3 said:

It’s as dangerous as the rider makes it.

If you’ve never ridden a bike before and decided that you’re going to teach yourself in Thailand wearing only flip flops and a Chang vest with no helmet then you’re asking for trouble.

With some experience under your belt, appropriate protection and keeping your wits about you it’s relatively safe IMO, especially compared to surrounding countries like Vietnam.

I NEVER drive drunk, without a helmet or gloves or in flip flops. If I’m doing a big ride, I’ll stick on the Kevlar jeans and mesh jacket as well.

There are a lot of dangers but you quickly learn to anticipate crazy drivers overtaking on blind bends, cyclists weaving all over their road.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Great advice. When you’re learning especially it’s a matter of when not if. You’ll come off at some stage whether it be big or small. 

its entirely safe cause everyone drives entirely predicable,

you can count on drivers signal their intent in a timely manner

and never cross a light or cut a lane or three.

go lucky be happy.

i think a big bike is overall safer,

the rumble may well alert when nothing else

hits home, and its faster to take over,

then theres also the fact that the more momentum you carry the more likely you will just push a stray dog or small bike

out of the road and still manage to keep balance.

additionally tyres on big bikes dont go flat,

you will know the difference once you get a flat front tyre

Obviously there is a risk. But what's the alternative?

Is riding on the back of a motorcycle taxi safer than riding yourself? Maybe, it depends.

Is sitting in the traffic for hours every day better than the risk?

We take risks everyday. Crossing any street in Thailand is a risk. So riding motorcycle is just one of those risks.

I owned small and big bikes in Thailand for over 10 years in the middle of Bangkok. I had 3 minor accidents with walking speed with no injures and no damage to any bike or person.

Until now I never had a significant accident. Could it happen? Sure. Is the risk so high that I prefer to sit hours in the traffic? No!

It depends where in Thailand.  For instance, along the Riviera, where its quiet, flat, plenty of visibility, and the roads are well maintained, its about as safe to ride as anywhere in the world.  However, on Koh Chang, where the roads can become busy with half drunk tourists, the hills are very steep, there are lots of blind corners, adverse cambers, slippery concrete, sandy and poorly maintained roads, its about as dangerous to ride as anywhere in the world.

I ride my Carerra mountain bike a few times a week. I don't go on main roads. Cut across country whenever possible. Biggest problems for me is bamboo, holes and people suddenly jumping out in front offering water. Of course, if the person offering the drink is a nice lady I stop for a while.

Generally I try to get the breathing up to about 15 breaths a minute. I take plenty of water and that is handy when you are offered Lao khow (to wash it down). Daughter took my helmet and made a little home for this mouse she had found, so I am wearing a trilby for the moment. I like to be visible so I wear my Wigan shirt, and if that is in the wash, the Chelsea yellow one.

A bar girl once told me that a bike rider (push bike) can expect an accident every 95k. I've had one accident - completely my own fault - and I'm due another soon I reckon.
In the last 7 months i have ridden my bicycle over 6000 k. Had one accident I stick to village roads north of Uttaradit , Dim Dam. Sirikit Dam. Nice and quiet on week days.

Sent from my SM-C710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 4/28/2019 at 11:12 AM, Lacessit said:

... I never ride the scooter at night, because risk escalates massively with drunks and those high on yaa baa. Plus my peripheral vision is compromised in night conditions.

But if I don't see you at night and run you over, don't think bad of me. I'll buy you a drink next time. I don't see too good, either.

Archived