Motorcycle inspection in Khon Kaen

Nobody55

On Monday I went to the LTO to pay the annual tax and compulsory insurance for my bike, the woman at the counter told me that my bike will soon have to be inspected, 
but she wasn't able to explain where I'd have to go to get the bike inspected.
However, I understood that LTO is not authorized to inspect motorcycles and therefore must be carried out at a private company.
Do any of you guys have any information on this matter?

Thanks ????

I can't remember the exact age that safety checks start - I think its 5 years (but may vary accoring to the size of the vehicle) so I'd guess your bike was 4 years + when you went to renew the tax and insurance.  What the woman was most likely telling you was that the bike will need inspecting next time you tax it. As far as I know, in Thailand a vehicle can only be taxed for complete years in line with its registration date.  If for example you failed to tax your bike when it was due, the next time you tax it the tax will be back dated. So if the bike was due to be taxed in April but you didn't do it until June, the tax will be back dated to April (but you will also pay a fine).  Therefore, the annual safety check should always correspond with the tax date.

Every Land Transport Office I've visited has a safety check centre close by - in Pak Chong its directly opposite the LTO. You will not be able to tax the bike again without a certificate (which is kept by the LTO) so I'm pretty sure if you go back to the LTO, they will be able to tell you where the test centre is.

I'm not sure if there are several test centres in each area or just the one - I suspect the latter due to how busy the one in Pak Chong is.  In any case, the signs should look like this:

extend_registration.jpg

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

If you just got your new tax paper you still have a year left before you have to visit such a place

They have this sign, once you start looking for it you will notice it about everywhere

Car_Inspection_Service2-crop.jpg.9b1ff04bac577fbaf65879c596a14e27.jpg

Lol, we must have both got the photo and posted within seconds of each other.

Thanks to everybody guys!????

Actually my bike is 4 years and 3 months old so if the inspection is to be done after 5 years I still have enough 
time to find one of these companies authorized.
Unfortunately I don't speak thai and the woman at the LTO wasn't speaking english fluently so she wasn't 
able to explain clearly the matter.

I hope that this topic can also be useful to other friends expat.

Thanks again????

3 hours ago, Longcut said:

Also, any dealer can get it all done for you for a fee. That is what I do. I let the Honda dealer take care of everything. They call me when the new Tax Registration arrives. They also handle my insurance.

Thank you for your advice.????

9 hours ago, Longcut said:

Also, any dealer can get it all done for you for a fee. That is what I do. I let the Honda dealer take care of everything. They call me when the new Tax Registration arrives. They also handle my insurance.

Each to his own but I find I learn more when I do things by myself. It doesn't take long, I got both my bikes checked and taxed in a couple of hours.

Archived