food replacement (soyulent etc)

luudee

Hello,

As I am getting older (55 now) I find that I am too gaining to much weight and it's getting harder to get rid of it, specially with the heat.

So, I have been considering to try one of these food replacement drinks, Souylent is I think the most popular, but there are a couple of more, like Nutberg, and the Chinese Ruffood.

1. Anyone used any of these in Thailand ? Do you mind to share your experience ?

2. Anyone know where to buy any of this stuff locally ?

Many Thanks !

rudi

2 hours ago, madmen said:

Doubt you will find any expats into it. Try looking up keto diet. You will never starve and its extremely effective. Just my 2 cents 

The previous post about "ubuy" it's actually some sort of a forwarding service. Quoting around 4,500 baht for shipping, not including customs ... 

I'm well familiar with keto - don't like it and couldn't make it work. But thanks anyway ????

Thanks for your help madman !

rudi

Sherm, read up and study this concept:

create caloric deficit

soyulent, cow jizz smoothies, all that stuff is basically the above just simplified for noobs.

Being slim takes discipline - really easy to stuff cake down your throat at all hours of the day.

Hello,

As I am getting older (55 now) I find that I am too gaining to much weight and it's getting harder to get rid of it, specially with the heat.

So, I have been considering to try one of these food replacement drinks, Souylent is I think the most popular, but there are a couple of more, like Nutberg, and the Chinese Ruffood.

1. Anyone used any of these in Thailand ? Do you mind to share your experience ?

2. Anyone know where to buy any of this stuff locally ?

Many Thanks !

rudi

Very simple - less calories in than you burn - you will loose weight (fat). Very easy to say ... very hard to do ... You will not believe the amount of calories in drinks ... it’s huge ... a few hundred C extra every day and it piles on over the year - stop sugar - smaller portions - no alcohol for 3 months - eat more cooked vegetables and walk in the early morning when cool. There is no magic bullet, only hard work. Good luck !

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/20/2019 at 6:02 PM, DingDongLing said:

soy is bad for men

Hasn't seemed to affect men eating the traditional Asian diet for thousands of years. It's a myth that Soy creates man-boobs by lowering testosterone. Chinese men don't suffer from that - as their population demonstrates - only males eating Western diets containing overloads of meat and dairy products. 

Read a bit more about nutrition before making an incorrect response. Here's one link:

https://www.issm.info/sexual-health-qa/does-consuming-soy-affect-a-mans-testosterone-levels/

OP - it is clear from your post and response, you're looking for an easy solution. Not going to happen, sorry. 

If your health is otherwise good, your doctor should give the go-ahead for you to try out Intermittent fasting for three days. An 'easy' way for beginners is to refrain from consuming anything except water for 16 hours a day, and eating (more or less) what you like in the 8 hour feeding window.   

So, if your last daily meal before bed time is over by 8pm, your first meal next day is timed at noon. It takes about 12 hours for the body to reach a point when it's consuming fat.

Read up about it, because any calorie counting diet is not long-term effective as you would lose weight only to put it back on when you return to your 'normal' consumption.

You would also have to review your lifestyle. Exercise regularly and eat more healthily - dump sugar and packaged products - with an emphasis on consuming more fresh vegetables and limiting meat and dairy. Once your palate gets used to it, no problem.

On 4/27/2019 at 11:44 PM, luudee said:

The previous post about "ubuy" it's actually some sort of a forwarding service. Quoting around 4,500 baht for shipping, not including customs ... 

I'm well familiar with keto - don't like it and couldn't make it work. But thanks anyway ????

rudi

What was it about Keto that you didn't like, and why couldn't you make it work? 

On 4/27/2019 at 11:44 PM, luudee said:

rudi

Could try the 16:8 regimen which seems to work for many people.

22 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

What was it about Keto that you didn't like, and why couldn't you make it work? 

Some people just like carbs and some people like me can lose weight and get real lean without going keto. For most people who do strength training keto is not best. (there are still people who do it though)

Anyway the best diet is the diet that you can adhere to. (and it should not be a diet but a lifestyle change). 

15 hours ago, robblok said:

Some people just like carbs and some people like me can lose weight and get real lean without going keto. For most people who do strength training keto is not best. (there are still people who do it though)

Anyway the best diet is the diet that you can adhere to. (and it should not be a diet but a lifestyle change). 

I agree completely with a revision of one's lifestyle. For me, it has been a real awakener in respect of nutrition. I have always kept myself reasonably active with power walking (6 kilos) four times a week (4 hours total) and I will be adding weight training to that, but my nutrition change has been remarkable. 

I (now) follow a strict 19-5 window, which gives me enough space to space out a three course meal (veg soup, main course with differing veggies being prominent, and finally fruit/nuts), based on a traditional Asian (Chinese/Japanese) diet (and anti-cancer) regime. which is far more healthy than the UK standard meat and two vegs approach. 

The nutrition bonus (if any) is a high mixture of fresh organic (non-dairy) consumables in any one day, no sugary drinks, and no packaged meals. Washed down with a glass of red wine!

I could rabbit on forever, but it suits me... 

1 hour ago, stephenterry said:

I agree completely with a revision of one's lifestyle. For me, it has been a real awakener in respect of nutrition. I have always kept myself reasonably active with power walking (6 kilos) four times a week (4 hours total) and I will be adding weight training to that, but my nutrition change has been remarkable. 

I (now) follow a strict 19-5 window, which gives me enough space to space out a three course meal (veg soup, main course with differing veggies being prominent, and finally fruit/nuts), based on a traditional Asian (Chinese/Japanese) diet (and anti-cancer) regime. which is far more healthy than the UK standard meat and two vegs approach. 

The nutrition bonus (if any) is a high mixture of fresh organic (non-dairy) consumables in any one day, no sugary drinks, and no packaged meals. Washed down with a glass of red wine!

I could rabbit on forever, but it suits me... 

I got fat in 2011 even though i exercised good. You can't out-train a bad diet is still true. Once I had a good diet (lifestyle not short term diet) in place my body changed and my workouts got a lot better. Nutrition is key and if you combine it with good exercise it will yield a lot of benefits.

Its just important that whatever you choose you can keep doing it. Goes for exercise and for the diet / lifestyle. So going to extremes wont work in most cases as you can't keep doing it. I added cardio to my strength training. Most morning i now do a 25 minute hard cardio workout on an eleptical / cross trainer. I could do more but I am sure I would get bored and stop it. So i chose to do 25 minutes (maybe later 30 and that is it). Later during the day I have a weight lifting session (i like those so never bored of those does not mean I am always in the mood though).

My point is that it should be something you don't hate because else it wont work. I changed and tweaked my diet / lifestyle slowly I am sure if I went from 0 to where I am now exercise / diet I would have gone crazy and stopped it long ago. But instead I just added more and changed more.

Some people are strong enough to go from 0 to 100% at once. I am not i did it slowly and I love what it has given me. I eat my salad / my fruits my unprocessed carbs and some meat / fish. 

Still got sleeping problems but its unrelated to diet or exercise if any diet and exercise should have cured it. That is the last thing I need to conquer and once i do i can take things like exercise to an even higher level. 

Robblok - good post, thanks.

My lifestyle change occurred in Feb 2018, when I coughed an inguinal hernia into place. That's been with me since then, and as it's caused no pain or problems and kept in place by a corset - which allows exercise - I'm following a watch and wait routine.

But I pictured an overweight old man being carved open, fat layer upon fat layer, by a surgeon wasn't my favoured future. So I committed to lose (substantial) weight first and foremost to minimise surgery if it is needed. 

This year, I'm recording my nutrition journey from then and up to today in a blog page, which gives me the incentive to continue - and experiment. From when I started at 92 kilos, I've dropped to 70.5 kilos - still with belly fat. 

It was too much and too quick. One lesson I learnt. And one I hope no-one else makes the same mistake if considering a weight loss programme. Do what you did, and take it slowly.

However, my nutrition journey is far from being a regime of hate, it's one of joy - and one that will carry me through until I go see Buddha - now with a body likened to a fat stick insect. 

I also have had sleep problems unrelated to diet or exercise, which I'm trying to address non-medically. I'm beginning to understand what's best for me. If you want to discuss, message me. 

1 hour ago, stephenterry said:

Robblok - good post, thanks.

My lifestyle change occurred in Feb 2018, when I coughed an inguinal hernia into place. That's been with me since then, and as it's caused no pain or problems and kept in place by a corset - which allows exercise - I'm following a watch and wait routine.

But I pictured an overweight old man being carved open, fat layer upon fat layer, by a surgeon wasn't my favoured future. So I committed to lose (substantial) weight first and foremost to minimise surgery if it is needed. 

This year, I'm recording my nutrition journey from then and up to today in a blog page, which gives me the incentive to continue - and experiment. From when I started at 92 kilos, I've dropped to 70.5 kilos - still with belly fat. 

It was too much and too quick. One lesson I learnt. And one I hope no-one else makes the same mistake if considering a weight loss programme. Do what you did, and take it slowly.

However, my nutrition journey is far from being a regime of hate, it's one of joy - and one that will carry me through until I go see Buddha - now with a body likened to a fat stick insect. 

I also have had sleep problems unrelated to diet or exercise, which I'm trying to address non-medically. I'm beginning to understand what's best for me. If you want to discuss, message me. 

I am not sure you dropped your fat too fast, sounds like around a kg per week. That is a fast but nice rate. Also at first when you got a lot you can drop a lot. Problem is that you have to be careful that you are not also dropping muscle.

The thing is most people want fast results me included. But I have never been able to lose much more then a kg per week. But I was not that overweight. Right now as i get real lean it slows down. The less you got to lose the slower it goes.

I certainly don't hate what I eat I actually like it. The thing is the cravings for stuff like pizza / burgers and stuff go away after you eat a healthy diet for a while. Does not mean I cannot have a pizza if i wanted. I just dont want it especially now that i still see progress. But cravings change. I now crave my salad with some meat at night or my macaroni carbonada at heavy workout days. 

Sleep is still a problem and I might take you up on your offer.

Archived