Elon Musk to face defamation lawsuit for calling Thai cave rescuer “pedo guy”

rooster59

45 minutes ago, OWLD FELLER said:

Are you expecting anybody to accept that you were voicing a serious opinion?

Musk is an egomaniac who seems to believe his wealth protects him from the law.

His settlement with the SEC supports that view.

Genius?

So far his only achievements appear to involve getting investors to part with their cash - nothing else!

Yes

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, cmarshall said:

Since Musk is rich and Unsworth is not, Musk will spend him into the ground with motions of all kinds and, if he loses, appeals, possibly even countersuits.  Unsworth can't win against a pile of cash like Musk's.  Although Musk did defame him, the suit is ill-considered as his lawyer should have advised him.

Rubbish.  Vern's lawyers will be acting on a no win no fee retainer.  They would have been lining up to get a crack at this case.

11 hours ago, darksidedog said:

And failed. Excellent.

I suspect now is around the time that he will try to settle out of court, as he is going to get hammered if he tries to fight it.

i like elon . alot of americans do ...........lets face it this lawsuit is about money and only about money . elon has deep pockets the other bloke wants into

3 hours ago, Hank Gunn said:

That's almost hilarious. You list your user type as "gagged free thinker", implying that you're some "free thinker" whose noble ideas are gagged/prohibited by some unknown but powerful, cultural force, yet you cry about people "getting away with insulting others". You go on to say that such people should be fined, just for insulting others.

It gets better though. Your .sig says, "JE SUIS CHARLIE ... SEND THE LEGION AGAINST ISIS", the Je suis Charlie (I am Charlie) referencing solidarity with the Charlie Hebdo journalists who were murdered for, wait for it; "insulting others". Oh the hypocrisy!

I can express my thoughts free without unduly insulting others.

Second... satire is not a personal insult.

Big difference between people who personally insult someone and people who choose to feel offended by satire.

2 hours ago, impulse said:

You seem to be forgetting that, when Musk started working on his rescue device, they had just ordered several months' of supplies for the boys because the prevailing option was to let them stay in the cave until the dry season.  Had that actually happened, the time in development would have probably yielded something more effective. 

Musk didn't know they were going to drug the boys a few days later and risk getting them out that way.

Edit:  You characterize it as "a rich bloke cashing in".  I'd call it a "rich guy using some of his wealth and resources to make a genuine effort to help".  That circumstances changed to where his efforts were not successful doesn't change the fact that he made the effort, and spent the cash.

You digress, the point here concerns defamation. Whether a piece of off the cuff kit would work or not is entirely incidental

I hope will get fined with let's say 1 mio $. This was a serious insult and defamation. I know what that means. Years back when I visited Sweden I guy who I knew from the past said to me: Ah, do you live now in Thailand ? I guess you prefer underage girls, do you ? This was really a huge insult to me. Now this brave guy who helped to save the kids in the cave must feel even worse after he heard about these offensive words of this Mr. Musk. But this conceited and big-headed guy probably thinks he will get away with everything.

42 minutes ago, manarak said:

I can express my thoughts free without unduly insulting others.

Second... satire is not a personal insult.

Big difference between people who personally insult someone and people who choose to feel offended by satire.

But in order to truly be free in your ability to express yourself, you have to risk being offensive to some; whether on purpose or not. In fact it happens quite often on this forum. Just a day ago I was repeatedly called a liar by another forum member, merely for describing an example of corruption to which my wife was subject to. Maybe he should be fined? 

You obviously don't know what satire means. By its very definition, satire is, to some degree, offensive at whoever is targeted.

From the Oxford English Dictionary: "The use of humour, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues." (https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/satire)

1 hour ago, Janner1 said:

You digress, the point here concerns defamation. Whether a piece of off the cuff kit would work or not is entirely incidental

True.  Still, I stand by my post as a direct response to an equally off-topic bash of a guy just trying to help. 

I'm not defending his remarks.  Though I think the appropriate way to deal with a playground kerfuffle is to give them each a fun noodle and let them wail away at each other until one of them can't stop laughing and says uncle.

Edit:  BTW, under the same guidelines, I've seen literally dozens of defamatory statements made on TVF about Musk as being a cheat, a fraud, and half a dozen other pejoratives that would meet the criteria of harming someone's business and societal standing.  Of course, suing someone with little or no money would be rather pointless for Musk.  Oooh.  I just defamed a bunch of people.  See how silly this lawsuit is?

10 hours ago, Shiver said:

I don't get this.  Unsworth insults Musk after trying to assist, then Musk has to pay Unsworth for retaliating?

Why is Unsworth insinuating that Musk takes long metallic objects up his rear?  Is that too not a case for character defamation,

musk should thank unsworth for the "up the rear" remark because according to ali g that is the biggest compliment

21 hours ago, racket said:

I hope Musk wins and that Unsworth ends up paying Elon for the stupid comments he made. That would be really fun to see! 

Errrmmmmm - What planet do you live on? In the eyes of common law this is an open and shut cace against Musk

I've always rooted for Musk because I like his role as a disrupter. But he is a sensitive sort.

I don't understand something. Isn't the case being tried in Thailand? Then why did a California court rule on it? Anyone know the technical legal stuff?

22 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

Looks like Vern Isn't going to have to worry about money ever again, and quite deservedly so. 

Mr. Musk should grow up and learn to keep his shitty mouth shut, and hopefully the financial hit he takes will commence that process.

Suspect Unsworth will be the biggest loser here. Musk’s lawyers can drag this out for years. In the end it will probably be dismissed and Unsworth’s life will be thoroughly investigated by both Musk’s lawyers and the media.

I am sure he was convinced to do this by a lawyer who is the only one who will benefit from it.

18 hours ago, Shiver said:

I don't get this.  Unsworth insults Musk after trying to assist, then Musk has to pay Unsworth for retaliating?

Why is Unsworth insinuating that Musk takes long metallic objects up his rear?  Is that too not a case for character defamation, or is Musk just not that petty to take it to court and let other peoples money pay for the legal teams?

If I recall, it was the rescue team that gave the Musk team the dimensions in which such a device must be capable of navigating.  Musk working to supplied poor specifications is not a failure on his teams part.

With what little I've seen, I'm leaning a little to the Musk side of the story, but then again, a legal case for calling names? 

I should make myself a public person then go after every kid that ever called me a name in the school yard.  I think I should go for a tenner off each of them.

No, it has to be damaging to be defamation, being told to stick something where the sun don't shine does not damage anyone, being called a pedo does.  Its not complicated.

19 hours ago, cmarshall said:

Since Musk is rich and Unsworth is not, Musk will spend him into the ground with motions of all kinds and, if he loses, appeals, possibly even countersuits.  Unsworth can't win against a pile of cash like Musk's.  Although Musk did defame him, the suit is ill-considered as his lawyer should have advised him.

Nonsense, Musk will just give him the money, he's only asked for 60,000 pounds.

1 hour ago, elgenon said:

I've always rooted for Musk because I like his role as a disrupter. But he is a sensitive sort.

I don't understand something. Isn't the case being tried in Thailand? Then why did a California court rule on it? Anyone know the technical legal stuff?

He is a disrupter, not sure of what good that's done though, he disrupted the finance industry with Paypal, did that help in some way or did that just move the money from lots of people on to just Musk and his mate?

Vernon Unsworth has a top notch lawyer L. Lin Wood. Just check out his biography on wiki. Elon's in trouble now. It could run into millions of dollars. If I were Elon I'd be in contact with this lawyer and try for an out of court settlement. Say 100,000 dollars. If it runs out in the courts it could easy be 10 million usd. Plus the negative effects on Elons businesses. Time to eat humble pie.

Sent from my SM-A700FD using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

22 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

Elon Musk is alleged to have written in an email to a BuzzFeed reporter: "He's an old, single white guy from England who's been travelling to or living in Thailand for 30 to 40 years, mostly Pattaya Beach, until moving to Chiang Rai for a child bride who was about 12 years old at the time.

"There's only one reason people go to Pattaya Beach. It isn't where you go for caves, but it is where you'd go for something else. Chiang Rai is renowned for child sex-trafficking."

He reportedly added: "As for this alleged threat of a lawsuit, which magically appeared when I raised the issue (nothing was sent or raised beforehand), I hope he f****** sues"

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ryanmac/elon-musk-thai-cave-rescuer-accusations-buzzfeed-email

It's not an allegation, the email has been published and Musk hasn't denied sending it. No doubt, it will be brought up as evidence in court, if the case ever gets that far.

It was a direct insult to everyone who has made their lives in Thailand.

Personally, I think that alone should have formed the basis of a class action suit against him. I would certainly have joined it.

36 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

Vernon Unsworth has a top notch lawyer L. Lin Wood. Just check out his biography on wiki. Elon's in trouble now. It could run into millions of dollars. If I were Elon I'd be in contact with this lawyer and try for an out of court settlement. Say 100,000 dollars. If it runs out in the courts it could easy be 10 million usd. Plus the negative effects on Elons businesses. Time to eat humble pie.

Sent from my SM-A700FD using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

He is suing for 60,000 pounds.

3 hours ago, meinphuket said:

It is important to remember who started the fracas. That would be the Brit diver's rude response to a well-meant Musk rescue capsule proposal.

Nope. It was a British divers blunt and off the cuff remark to a self serving tosser's pathetic publicity stunt which turned into an act of self immolation.

The sub was of zero use to the rescue team, totally unfit for purpose. The rescue team knew it, Musk knew it but still tried to use it to give the impression that he was the hero of the day, he personally rescued the kids and it couldn't have been done without his genius. Also the presence of his PR team and his insistence of being put centre stage in front of the world's media, on site actually wated time for the rescue team and detracted from their professional efforts to rescue the kids.

As I said, just a tosser who deserved a lot worse said to him than to be told where to stick his sub.

14 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

He is suing for 60,000 pounds.

That was Vern's initial thoughts. His primary objective was to clear his name. Now that a team of US ambulance chasers are on the case, I'm sure that it will be much more than that. Think 7 figures.

Nope. It was a British divers blunt and off the cuff remark to a self serving tosser's pathetic publicity stunt which turned into an act of self immolation.

The sub was of zero use to the rescue team, totally unfit for purpose. The rescue team knew it, Musk knew it but still tried to use it to give the impression that he was the hero of the day, he personally rescued the kids and it couldn't have been done without his genius. Also the presence of his PR team and his insistence of being put centre stage in front of the world's media, on site actually wated time for the rescue team and detracted from their professional efforts to rescue the kids.

As I said, just a tosser who deserved a lot worse said to him than to be told where to stick his sub.

Looks okay to me. Elon tried his best. Then Vernon started it all by telling Elon where to shove it. Elon obviously got upset and so did Vernon's mother who said Elon should be lined up against a wall and shot.4E4613A700000578-5965465-Elon_Musk_designed_a_child_sized_submarine_out_of_rocket_parts_t-a-1_1532067968896.jpg

Just now, Wilsonandson said:

Looks okay to me. Elon tried his best. Then Vernon started it all by telling Elon where to shove it. Elon obviously got upset and so did Vernon's mother who said Elon should be lined up against a wall and shot.4E4613A700000578-5965465-Elon_Musk_designed_a_child_sized_submarine_out_of_rocket_parts_t-a-1_1532067968896.jpg

To anyone who had seen a plan of the cave system and the route needed to be taken to extract the boys, which was openly available in the media and I'm sure was available to Musk, would instantly know that it was completely impractical. Far too big and rigid. How does it go round all those tight bends, some of which the divers had to remove their tanks to get through?

You, and Musk, are having a laugh!

3 hours ago, elgenon said:

duhhhh

23 minutes ago, Spidey said:

How does it go round all those tight bends, some of which the divers had to remove their tanks to get through?

Elon consulted the cave experts in Thailand in the design. In fact it was because of the experts it ended up a sub rather than a bouncy castle. Elon's first idea was a long rubber tube pumped up with air the kids would crawl all the way through without contacting water, but the experts saw a sub as a more practical approach. There were a number of submarines made customized for different cave sections, including this low profile, flexible one for the tight passage known as "the choke point" you refer to. All subs were designed, built, tested by experts, and delivered in unimaginably tight schedules. However, the gears of rescue had already begun turning and it was too late to see usage. Elon deserves credit for trying his best to help. What did you do? It was a slap in the face at the time everyone was in relief and celebration the kids were safely rescued that this foul mouthed geezer stepped up to a cnn microphone for the sole purpose of spouting a bunch of insults at Elon. Despicable and unnecessary.

ms.jpg.09524bc9ecd4a778824b4949db49d63a.jpg

vu.png.1e6103133784ff73fa6dd282c26fc89d.png

Very funny Vern. But we aren't laughing. I see people doing their very best to help.

Archived