Elon Musk to face defamation lawsuit for calling Thai cave rescuer “pedo guy”

rooster59

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, rabas said:

No. Publicly calling for someone to be killed is not defamation.

Yes but claiming on CNN that Musk volunteer work was nothing but a P.R stunt could be Defamation Of Character in Thailand.

Defamation of character is a term that is used to describe when a false statement is written or spoken about an individual with the intent of harming their reputation.

Question is though did Unsworth intend to harm Musk's reputation when he made the claim on CNN?

10 hours ago, sanemax said:

You dont care that now all your family and friends back home may now think that the only reason that you live in Thailand is because you are a pedo , as that is what Musk stated

Kind of ironic really. In most western countries anyone who talks to, plays with, interacts with a child not their own is viewed through the pedophile lense. In Thailand, no big deal, which benefits both the child and the adult. Unless of course the adult is a pedophile, which I think is a pretty rare form of deviancy.

On 4/28/2019 at 10:17 AM, allanos said:

Musk is many things, as stated in a number of the posts here, but he's not stupid; completely the opposite in fact.

I have therefore long-pondered why Musk used an epithet like "pedo" to characterise Vern, when he could have chosen a heap of other derogatory terms as some kind of riposte.

Musk has never lived in Thailand and would not know the difference between Pattaya (what he calls Pattaya Beach), and Chiang Mai, which he also refers to, unless he is being fed bullets to shoot by a person or persons more familiar with the Thailand environment.

In trying to find an answer to this puzzling conundrum, it seems to me that the plaintiff may have something hidden in a murky past.  No one, other than the plaintiff, knows for sure.

That said, I believe Musk may well be on a hiding to nothing.

I don,t agree, to alot of people Thailand means sex tourism, and anyone who lives here is only here for one reason. They have no comprehension of normal families of foreigners married to Thai,s.

All male expats in Thailand were being tarred with the same brush in Musks insult. He lashed out with what was for him a stereotype. 

The insult he made is the worst accusation that could be made. Made infinitely worse by being made on social media. 

His idea of a rigid capsule made no sense, even with a basic understanding of the caves it was pretty obvious it wasn,t going to work. I can imagine that who was actually there must have had frayed nerves, and irritated by such a suggestion from someone who really should have known better, and perhaps doubting the reason for the visit. 

The attack made by Musk was not by anymeans justified by Vernon,s comment. 

He could have replied that he was sad that his effort to help had not been appreciated. Or similar. 

But you can,t ignore being called a pedo by Musk, on social media read globally. 

I would be worried about what Musks money can buy...

7 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

So telling Elon to stick his submarine up his bum and have your mother saying Elon needs to be lined up against a wall and shot is not defamation? Hmm? I call BS.

Sent from my SM-A700FD using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

No, it isn't defamation. Defamation defines as: "the act of harming someone's reputation by saying or writing bad things about them." (Cambridge Free English Dictionary). What Vernon Unsworth said, whilst unsubtle, blunt, and possibly rude did not defame him. We'll leave his mothers quoted outburst out of the matter - she was perhaps understandably upset at what Elon Musk had said (twitter) and written (email to a media outlet) about her son - which was defamatory!

10 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

So telling Elon to stick his submarine up his bum and have your mother saying Elon needs to be lined up against a wall and shot is not defamation? Hmm? I call BS.

Sent from my SM-A700FD using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

No, defamation is making false claims about someone which are damaging to them, neither of those comments are even claims, let alone false claims.

10 hours ago, monkfish said:
10 hours ago, rabas said:

No. Publicly calling for someone to be killed is not defamation.

Yes but claiming on CNN that Musk volunteer work was nothing but a P.R stunt could be Defamation Of Character in Thailand.

Defamation of character is a term that is used to describe when a false statement is written or spoken about an individual with the intent of harming their reputation.

Question is though did Unsworth intend to harm Musk's reputation when he made the claim on CNN?

My point was literal. Publicly calling for someone to be killed could border on attempted murder or at least incitement to murder, but not defamation. Unsworth's comments may well have caused big financial harm to SpaceX.  In that vein Musk's comments may have caused serious harm to Unsworth, too.

It all depends on whether you take the PC, micro aggression high road and every twitter comment causes great harm to your feelings, or, you take the traditional back room anything goes, say what you feel low road. 

Only trepidofiles would selectively apply different principles to each side.

13 hours ago, billd766 said:
16 hours ago, atyclb said:

vernon wants 60,000 pounds but will accept 800,000 thai baht

And you know this how?

Do you know Vern personally or anything about him?

your post quoted not only me but another person also. rather than getting bent out of shape just think a little about the amount "800,000 baht" and what may come to mind.  no i dont know him personally but 800k baht is a highly relevant sum these days. if you still can't figure it out i will post a less subtle hint.

20 hours ago, sanemax said:

Even  numerous posters on TVF thought that theres no smoke without fire and Musks allegations are true

wow there you go, the "smoking gun" prima facie evidentiary reason vernon must clear his name.  how could anyone go through life thinking "theres no smoke without fire" per tvf .  ???

21 hours ago, sanemax said:
On 4/29/2019 at 12:06 PM, atyclb said:

i guess i am the sole exception that never felt insulted and/or took it personally

really, a "class action lawsuit" comprised of litigants that never reached adulthood / maturity

You dont care that now all your family and friends back home may now think that the only reason that you live in Thailand is because you are a pedo , as that is what Musk stated

there are numerous reasons to live in thailand that have nothing to do with pedophilia.  no worries as i have already made multiple frantic phone calls to friends and family assuring them that is not the reason i am here.

22 hours ago, balo said:

Musk did not only offend Vern, but he offended all of us who choose to live in Thailand, with his remark "paedo guy" and other following the same pattern. 
So Musk think we choose to live in Thailand because of easy access to kids. 

I hope the lawyer does a good job. 

Musk apparently touched a nerve there . Truth hurts eh ?

57 minutes ago, Scutty said:

So you really think that most Western men that chose to live in Thailand are paedophiles? Sick.

3 hours ago, Scutty said:

Which truth ?

You can take that comment and your submarine and stick it where it hurts. 

1 minute ago, watcharacters said:

Does this thread perhaps  shed some general light on the feelings of Brits towards Americans?

Not really but it does shed light on the opinions of Americans towards the rest of the world, in this thread, Brits in particular.

Never  been in  a cave  , even less in a  cave child saving situation .

I do suspect  however that in the post rescue interview I might not use the gentle

put downs  that other , more media  savy  people ( like Musk)  might use .

I think Vern needs some credit for what he did , not what he said afterwards.

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

Not really but it does shed light on the opinions of Americans towards the rest of the world, in this thread, Brits in particular.

Are you saying this thread shows  Americans being disrespectful towards Brits?    If so please explain how?

And I trust you're educated enough to understand your general post about Americans should be directed towards the operational government of America and not towards  Americans as individuals.

I hope you  realize  as an individual  you   have limited influence over the British government or any of its policies. 

That's how it is in every country  throughout the planet.

54 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Are you saying this thread shows  Americans being disrespectful towards Brits?    If so please explain how?

And I trust you're educated enough to understand your general post about Americans should be directed towards the operational government of America and not towards  Americans as individuals.

I hope you  realize  as an individual  you   have limited influence over the British government or any of its policies. 

That's how it is in every country  throughout the planet.

I made no reference to the US government. I was specifically referencing Americans who post on this forum and this thread in particular.

Vern Unsworth made a remark when CNN thrust a mike in his face, digging for a soundbite. As a bit of a recluse and far from media savvy, he gave them one. The phrase he used was less abusive than the normal phrase used in the UK which is, "You can stick your sub where the sun don't shine, sunshine". He was trying to choose his words to be less confrontational, whilst conveying the message. Musk had used the whole event as a PR stunt, bringing a team and the media circus with him to the rescue site, which only served to detract from the work that the real rescue team were undertaking. They were, rightfully, more than a little peeved with Musk, a glory hunter which was the exact opposite of their psyche. Everyone thought that he was an annoying tosser. Unsworth's remark could in no way be seen as defamatory, just a little curt but an honest reply to the question.

Musk, being the little boy and weirdo with a fragile ego, threw his toys out of his pram and claimed that Unsworth was a paedophile and subsequently that all men who move to Thailand do so because they are paedophiles. Completely unsubstantiated and untrue. Clear defamation and in a completely different league to Unsworth's relatively innocuous remark. The facts I have stated are inarguably the truth. The reality.

However, some Americans see Musk as one of their own, the embodiment of the American Dream. For someone to show him as he really is was more than they could take and have repeatedly defended Musk and denigrated Unsworth without any justification.

I watched a documentary about the rescue, made by an American cable channel. Apparently the US Army took the lead role in the rescue, it was all about them, all interviews were conducted with US Army personnel, none with the international team of cave divers, who obviously only played a minor role in the rescue.

What is it with you guys? Why does it always have to be all about you? Are your over inflated egos really that fragile?

Your post reeks of bias. I fail to understand why so many people have this weird need to jump in and exonerate Unsworth and thoroughly bash Musk. This issue has erupted thaivisa unlike anything i can remember. Mention elon and you are guaranteed to get 10 or 50 pages of these nonsense posts of people jumping out of the woodwork to get their 2 cents in. But why? It makes no sense because clearly they both did right and and they both did wrong, simple as that. Everyone should be able to see this. Yet so few are willing to admit this truth and instead take sides. It's like everyone is vigorously cheering for their guy at a boxing match instead of discussing a simple event that happened.

I will say that anyone that says it was a PR stunt is ignorant of the facts or given all the information we know now then you are refusing to use your brain. And besides it wasn't just Elon on the sub venture anyway. There were other companies and people who when called, stepped up and did an amazing job to help however they could. It was beautiful thing to watch and something I will always remember.

If as is reported he lived in Pattaya for 20 years then Im sure Musks lawyers will have a fine time interviewing those who knew him there and finding out what he got up to and who with . Chances are it was nothing good .

37 minutes ago, Scutty said:

If as is reported he lived in Pattaya for 20 years then Im sure Musks lawyers will have a fine time interviewing those who knew him there and finding out what he got up to and who with . Chances are it was nothing good .

or very good, there is some fine talent down here that can actually speak english ????

20 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

Kind of ironic really. In most western countries anyone who talks to, plays with, interacts with a child not their own is viewed through the pedophile lense. In Thailand, no big deal, which benefits both the child and the adult. Unless of course the adult is a pedophile, which I think is a pretty rare form of deviancy.

My neighbours have 2 daughters, one is 13 and the other is 9. Both come over quite often as do a Thai friends twin girls of 6 or 7 and their son of 13.

The only big deal I have is when they hog my 3 computers and I cannot use them myself. Yesterday there were 4 boys including my son and 3 girls in the house making use of my laptops and WiFi link for their phones. Why was this? School holidays.

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

I made no reference to the US government. I was specifically referencing Americans who post on this forum and this thread in particular.

Vern Unsworth made a remark when CNN thrust a mike in his face, digging for a soundbite. As a bit of a recluse and far from media savvy, he gave them one. The phrase he used was less abusive than the normal phrase used in the UK which is, "You can stick your sub where the sun don't shine, sunshine". He was trying to choose his words to be less confrontational, whilst conveying the message. Musk had used the whole event as a PR stunt, bringing a team and the media circus with him to the rescue site, which only served to detract from the work that the real rescue team were undertaking. They were, rightfully, more than a little peeved with Musk, a glory hunter which was the exact opposite of their psyche. Everyone thought that he was an annoying tosser. Unsworth's remark could in no way be seen as defamatory, just a little curt but an honest reply to the question.

Musk, being the little boy and weirdo with a fragile ego, threw his toys out of his pram and claimed that Unsworth was a paedophile and subsequently that all men who move to Thailand do so because they are paedophiles. Completely unsubstantiated and untrue. Clear defamation and in a completely different league to Unsworth's relatively innocuous remark. The facts I have stated are inarguably the truth. The reality.

However, some Americans see Musk as one of their own, the embodiment of the American Dream. For someone to show him as he really is was more than they could take and have repeatedly defended Musk and denigrated Unsworth without any justification.

I watched a documentary about the rescue, made by an American cable channel. Apparently the US Army took the lead role in the rescue, it was all about them, all interviews were conducted with US Army personnel, none with the international team of cave divers, who obviously only played a minor role in the rescue.

What is it with you guys? Why does it always have to be all about you? Are your over inflated egos really that fragile?

Your version of the facts and full of insults.
P.s. I am British so stick that where the sun don't shine!

Archived