Raw milk in Thailand?

Aajonus

8 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Most of the milk in Thailand is reconstituted from powder.

This is an often repeated urban legend.  All fresh milk here is exactly that:  milk from cows, not from powder.  Indeed, I posted the figures for milk production and for milk consumption in Thailand on this site a few years ago.  They're virtually identical.

The one really fake product is Thai "butter", which is made from a chemical brew, including imported butter oil.  It's not churned from cream.

18 hours ago, Oxx said:

This is an often repeated urban legend.  All fresh milk here is exactly that:  milk from cows, not from powder.  Indeed, I posted the figures for milk production and for milk consumption in Thailand on this site a few years ago.  They're virtually identical.

The one really fake product is Thai "butter", which is made from a chemical brew, including imported butter oil.  It's not churned from cream.

My information came from the farang managing director of one of the milk distributors here. It's powder reconstituted. There is comparatively little fresh real milk here. Take a look around.... how often do you see a cow in Thailand? There do appear to be Oxx though!

7 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

how often do you see a cow in Thailand?

There are 365,000 milk cows in Thailand which produce over a million tonnes of milk annually.  (Those are 2013 figures.  They are probably somewhat higher now.)

Of course, you're unlikely to see a cow (of the bovine variety) in central Bangkok or Pattaya.  However, in the lower North East there are lots of them.

Source:  http://ap.fftc.agnet.org/ap_db.php?id=730

• 5 months later...

The Thai Dairy Co-ops that buy milk from the smaller producers are all Thai Government agencies that then sell the raw and pasturized milk wholesale, as well as consumer products under their own brand names. These Co-ops are throughout Thailand (wherever there is enough production). In Chiang Mai, the main Chiang Mai co-op is on the main Lampang-CM highway just south of the Third ring road intersection. There is another co-op south of San Patong town. A third place to buy is from Thai-Danish across from the zoo, and a fourth place is at some organic market near CMU with the source being a CMU agricultural school. I've not visited there so don't know exact location/times avail.

Note: at the Thai Co-ops, the minimum purchase is 10kgs, while at Thai Danish it is 5kgs. They also have pasturized available at Thai Danish.

Here is a video of "smart aggie" CMU milk production: 

On 4/29/2019 at 7:21 PM, DaRoadrunner said:

My information came from the farang managing director of one of the milk distributors here. It's powder reconstituted. There is comparatively little fresh real milk here. Take a look around.... how often do you see a cow in Thailand? There do appear to be Oxx though!

And did the Farang's story end up with "the cow jumped over the moon"? Lol. You've been had.

On 4/29/2019 at 11:21 AM, DaRoadrunner said:

Take a look around.... how often do you see a cow in Thailand?

I pass multiple dairy farms every day en route to work, and pass the trucks collecting the milk from each farm to send to co-op central processing regularly.

On 4/28/2019 at 10:55 PM, DaRoadrunner said:

Most of the milk in Thailand is reconstituted from powder. His Majesty did have a farm project in Chiangmai producing real milk from cows, not sure if it is still ongoing?

Otherwise, find yourself a lactating Thai girl?

Loads of cows around ChiangMai, and pickups with milk churns in the back, and the Thai-Danish Dairy in HuayKew Rd opposite the zoo that sells raw milk.

7 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Louis Pasteur eradicated a serious disease many, many years ago by heating the milk.

I agree, its a gamble to drink raw milk, especially in Thailand. 

On 10/17/2019 at 6:19 PM, Sam Lin said:

I pass multiple dairy farms every day en route to work, and pass the trucks collecting the milk from each farm to send to co-op central processing regularly.

Sam, off topic. is there an active (white) wine forum? Ive lost my Phuket contact for Chilean etc. wines (Chulalai distributorship, on North Road). I'm in NST, so I'm looing to buy from a distributor on Phuket. tia

On 4/29/2019 at 7:17 AM, Oxx said:

Well, I have to disagree with this. I have tested various milk products and found none of them were doing what milk usually does. I have tried to make paneer cheese in various countries using milk from supermarkets and , unfortunately,  the only milk that has failed was the Thai. Not solidifying even a tiny bit is a clear indication of the milk made from powder. 

On the other hand, found real butter made in Thailand.

On 4/29/2019 at 7:17 AM, Oxx said:

This is an often repeated urban legend.  All fresh milk here is exactly that:  milk from cows, not from powder. 

Foremost was a company created to provide milk made from powder to American troops on R&R in Thailand.

Their milk has always been made from milk powder.

10 minutes ago, secondfusilier said:

I have also found the same problem.

I have tried about 20 times to make Mozzarella without success in Thailand.

I have bought 3 thermometers to ensure that it was not a temperature issue and I also bought new batches of calcium chloride and citric acid, just to be sure.

Each time that I have tried I have used a different brand of milk, with some brands the curds did start to set but not enough to work with them.

My only chance of making Mozzarella here is to buy the milk directly from the farm but living in the Bangkok region means that knocking up a simple pizza would take about half of a day.

Hi, I am making Mozzarella since over a year now every week. Of course I am using raw milk but apart from citric acid I use also rennet. Without rennet is getting difficult to build the curds. The pasteurized milk from the shops is good for making yogurt or Kefir. But not for Mozzarella.   

Archived