Quality Use Bikes

gc777

Hello,

My wife and I are moving to Chiang Mai in the next couple of weeks and are looking to buy some quality used road or cycle cross bikes, Trek, Specialized etc.

Would anyone know where to source these or happen to have one for sale? I need a 58 cm frame and my wife 47 cm.

Cheers 

There are many shops all over Chiangmai. You do not specify an area. I got a japanese import 2 years ago from a shop in Nonghoy. It is still serving me well. Go out the Sarapee road (Highway 106) to the 89 Plaza, turn left at the lights and after passing the Police Station, bear left and the shop is on the left about 200metres further. It is open from 5pm weekdays and all day Sat and Sun. Its about here N18.751691 E99.011873

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, gc777 said:

Thanks very much Maybole.

You may want to search about cycling and stray dogs, around chiang mai. A course of rabies shots is both necessary and unpleasant here after bites,and some defensive measures are advisable as you will see.

Good luck

20 hours ago, beau thai said:

You may want to search about cycling and stray dogs, around chiang mai. A course of rabies shots is both necessary and unpleasant here after bites,and some defensive measures are advisable as you will see.

Good luck

Provide your experience, please.

Dogs can be a problem sometimes and in some places, but in some 13 years of bicycling--usually around 5,000 kilometers annually--in and around Chiang Mai as well as biking from Bangkok to Saigon I have never been seriously threatened by dogs.  When they do actually decide to chase after me I've found that a couple maneuvers will change their minds.

• Rather than speeding up, slow down.  Sensing something uncommon to the usual biker's behavior, they immediately back off. 
  • Stop and reach down to the ground to pick up a couple stones (or carry some with you), and make like you're going to throw one at the dog...or actually do it.  Picking up an invisible stone will often work just as well.  Apparently dogs get stoned often, and naturally they don't like it.  [Not that kind of stoned.]
  • If a dog gets near enough to your pedals, prepare yourself to give it a solid kick in the head.  In my experience, that has surprised the heck out of an occasional dog and brought it to its senses.
  • Carry a package of some kind of doggie treat in your backpack.  I've heard that giving the dog something other than your leg to chew on is a good way to turn a threatening cur into a lifelong friend.  For a couple years I've had a small package of treats in my panniers, but I've never had the occasion to see if this actually works.
  • Temple dogs are the most protective and threatening.  The monks generally do little to curb the dogs there.  Move on.  There are lots of other temples to explore.

If anyone looks at you with disapproval, tell them that the dog has no manners, i.e., ma mai mee mariyaht, and ride on.

Archived