Thai woman dies after bite from centipede

webfact

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Thanks for that. And there was me thinking I had early onset Alzheimers.

By the statement, "Thanet said a doctor had told the family his mother died from a severe blood infection caused by the centipede’s bite", I think it's safe to assume that at least one Chantaburi doctor hasn't heard of anaphylactic shock. I wonder if the regular 'Rescue' guys have them in their trauma kits?

blood infection overnight?  Possible, but I think septic type infections take a little longer than that

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

That pic is either highly distorted in a way that makes the arthropod appear larger than it actually is...or it has been photo-shopped. I found that pic on Google Images, so leaning toward it being a fake. 

Yeah, something not right about that pic. 

1 hour ago, goferman said:

Yes, the Giant Red Centipede if I recall correctly. I was bitten on the ear lobe after one crawled inside my motorbike helmet! The pain was so intense I was shouting also because I didn't know what'd happened. Blood came out which the doctor said helped dilute the venom. The intense pain, worse than a kidney stone, lasted about 2 hours. And yes, the doc did provide me with some antibiotics and pain killers. From that point on, I always checked the inside of my helmet and kept it indoors at night!

Reminds new of my grandad telling me how they used to always check their boots for scorpions in the morning when he was in north Africa during WW2.

12 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

They are the only animal that I have no problem with killing... absolutely hate them. Scorpions n snakes don’t freak me out nearly as much as centipedes 

Agree, and can't take your eye off while you grab for something to bash them coz they move so dam fast. I got bitten in the ribs while sleeping. The pain exploded and the swelling was immediate and growing. Drove to hospital & doc asks if it was a dog bite. Sheesh. Got antihistamines, refused shot for pain. 

Only killed scorpions if there were kiddies around. Never minded snakes; stepped on a banded krait in the jungle, but luckily it was daytime so he just kinda looked at me. Pretty boy, sorry.

12 hours ago, smedly said:

these things grow to huge size 10" long and as thick as your thumb, seen a few UT videos of them crawling on peoples arms etc - not sure that they bite, I thought they had a sting at the rear, remove the stinger and they are harmless - could be wrong,

I am wrong - they bite

Their fangs are at their mouth like the fangs on a venomous spider. Picked one up once wearing leather riggers gloves could feel the strength in the bite. 

2 hours ago, Gillyflower said:

When I was a young girl living on an island in the south Pacific. I was warned more about the centipede than the snakes etc.  We slept  well tied in with netting to protect us from them.

The first time I ever saw one was on Raiatea in French Polynesia.  It was on the deck of a wooden boat which we were about to board and the guy minding the boat was absolutely terrified.  The second time was on Koh Yao near Phuket when one crawled out of my diving boot.  I knew by then to give it a wide berth.

5 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Not true. Possibly some prehistoric centipedes were a meter, but not today. The centipede in captivity in the vid is 16 inches (41 cm) long. Longest centipede recorded in the wild is the same species at 10 inches (26 cm) and the longest insect in the world is a "Walking Stick" at just over 2 feet long (62.4 cm)...only discovered 3 years ago. The vid below is the same, but with some narration and facts.

The current Guinness World Record for the largest centipede is 10 inches. It was a Peruvian giant yellow-leg centipede (Scolopendra gigantea) found in Venezuela.Jan 29, 2018

A new species of stick insect in southern China has been declared the world's longest bug, state media announced on Thursday. Until now, that honor had belonged to Malaysian stick insect named Phoebaeticus chani, or Chan's megastick. At 62.4 centimeters, the newcomer extends the record by about 6 centimeters.May 6, 2016

The longest Centipede in the world was the one that got under my shirt when I was crouched down hosing mud from under a vehicle in the north of Western Australia. It was huge I tell ya.

7 hours ago, GarryP said:

If they could bite you anywhere, being bitten in the sack must be the most painful. I'll get my coat.

I mean in the nuts. I'm trying to say it in a way that both Americans and British understand. I had a creature like this bite me in the family jewels. It was OK though. It hurt. But like a bee sting. No hospital. I trapped it in a jar so people would believe me. It must not have been a centipede. Millipede? It hurt, but not agony. 

The worst part was trying to sleep in the bed after that. I would leap at any imaginary movements. 

3 hours ago, Ebumbu said:

I mean in the nuts. I'm trying to say it in a way that both Americans and British understand. I had a creature like this bite me in the family jewels. It was OK though. It hurt. But like a bee sting. No hospital. I trapped it in a jar so people would believe me. It must not have been a centipede. Millipede? It hurt, but not agony. 

The worst part was trying to sleep in the bed after that. I would leap at any imaginary movements. 

Nice. Winner!

15 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

And that's where things go seriously wrong....  Presumably you're 'missus' also believes that all snakes are deadly.....

Having children in the house I wouldn't take a book and look to check if a snake is deadly or not, it's off to valhalla. 

11 hours ago, bermondburi said:

Yeah, something not right about that pic. 

Reminds new of my grandad telling me how they used to always check their boots for scorpions in the morning when he was in north Africa during WW2.

You should always check your shoes here too!!!  Over the years I have stung by 4 scorpions... 1 in my shoe.  

Also has a hornet in my shoe which stung my foot.

I once was having a shower in my Isaan bungalow when a huge red centipede ran fast straight for me. I had to leap over it. Dealt with it later when fully clothed. A centipede bit the nose of a friend's small dog and it died. Stay well clear of them. 

Our maid found one in the garden here in Chiang Mai. She was scared stiff and warned us that these creatures can kill. My maid at the time was a 52 year old Thai woman.

She locked herself in her room until I assured here that I had disposed of it.

On 4/29/2019 at 12:50 PM, Oziex1 said:

Their fangs are at their mouth like the fangs on a venomous spider. Picked one up once wearing leather riggers gloves could feel the strength in the bite. 

Another centipede fun fact. They don't have true fangs like spiders. Fangs are part of the mouth. What look like fangs on a centipede, are technically it's forelegs! The venom is delivered thru those specially modified legs. 

On 4/29/2019 at 5:50 PM, Skeptic7 said:

That pic is either highly distorted in a way that makes the arthropod appear larger than it actually is...or it has been photo-shopped. I found that pic on Google Images, so leaning toward it being a fake. 

Absolutely right - I came on to post the same thing.

The largest centipedes ever found were around 10-11 inches in body length (some people add a few inches by trying to count their antennae and back legs in the measurement). 

My personal experience is they often look bigger in real life, due to the distortion of such long bodies moving fast with all those legs. I've sworn that I've seen a couple 12" ones and I'm usually very good at animal estimates, but I managed to snap a photo as one of them crossed tiles and it was only 9" in reality. Another time I chased down and killed one in my friend's home. Until I killed it I swore it was 8" long. When I killed it and measured it, only 4.5". 

On 4/29/2019 at 11:09 AM, 4MyEgo said:

Was drinking at a bar the other day and as I looked down at my legs, one of them was between them on the ground, I asked the lady owner of the bar who was standing next to me if they were dangerous because I know my Mrs cuts them in two as soon as she sees them and has said they are dangerous.

The owner of this bar bent down, said no, not dangerous, picked it up and threw it into the grass on the footpath, suffice to say anything with so many legs coming within koo-ee of me will get all 80kg of me on top of it, dangerous or not.

I wouldn't ask a Thai's opinion on anything, let alone anything that could hurt me. 

On 4/29/2019 at 5:16 PM, connda said:

Don't expect a compassionate Thai hospital to give patients anything stronger than Para.

If you are in pain, it's your Karma.  It's not the hospitals responsibly to relieve your pain.

Absolute Rubbish, by another Thai basher, probably never been in a Thai hospital, I have and if necessary they will and do inject or give pain killers intravenously.

On 4/29/2019 at 11:04 AM, Bluetongue said:

I got stung on the second toe by one, pain was intense, worse than a heart attack

Me Too. ... Though the Pain kill, that I got at the Hospital was good !!! ...

Bloody Big Bastards !!! They come out in the rain ! .... I had one come up out of my Toilet in the floods !!! .... I think that it was living in the septic tank ... until it got folded ! .... 

Archived