Grandmother and grandson flee for their lives as train smashes pick-up at "faulty" crossing

webfact

2 hours ago, maddox41 said:

Most Thais don't even know how to drive a Manuel car that  requires to much thinking 

first reference to being a Manual; but then if it was, and it was the car, not the brain that stalled -

- put into a low gear, take foot off the clutch, and then turn the starter key!  the behemoth would have lurched and bounded thru the gate, to safety...

again, not having reported all the nitty gritty deatils in the news Report; I''d say that the oncoming gate was lowered solely. She's assumed that because it was not HER gate lowered, that the closure was not meant for HER. Gets into the Danger zone, and then the other gate came down

how many times have we seen cars/bikes cleaned up by trains with the drivers claiming they never saw the train, the lights or heard the warning bells. Many thai drivers(from what I have witnessed over many years) have the habit of not giving way/stopping for the lights/ taking in warnings because they dont like to stop or give way, good chance she saw and heard the bells but didnt want to stop so tried to beat the gates but failed then panicked and did a runner, will be interesting to see the results of testing the gates etc

13 hours ago, fxe1200 said:

9.81 m/sec2

That would be acceleration of gravity and not it's speed or the acceleration it will likely fall at. The barriers often have counter weights that would slow it down, but make it easier to lift back up.

One would have to figure out the forces on each side of the fulcrum.

An interesting note... If there was no counter weight (assuming minimal friction) the end of the barrier would actually accelerate faster than 9.81 m/s^2. 

You can watch some videos, it's interesting to see once... It's called the falling chimney experiment.

Edit: typo

13 hours ago, Liverpudlian said:

Was having mad sex on a train track once, train screetched to a stop and driver starts ranting WTFK ?? i replied well, she was cumming i was cumming and your the one with the brakes mate ????

I remember telling that one at school, and that was over 50 years ago!!!????

12 hours ago, KMartinHandyman said:

Are you my father? He’s the only other person I know who quotes the speed of a free falling object in a vacuum.

Actually, the formula is 1/2at2. This is a free falling object. Over short distances one can ignore friction of the air (but important for sky diving ha!). 'a' = 9.8 (m) 't'= time(secs). So at the end of the first second the object falls about 4.9 meters. I though level crossing barriers were power supported...am I wrong?

That Bangkok-SuratThani Sprinter is getting a "killer" reputation. It's the third or fourth such accident in a short time. I have the same type of crossing just 500m from my house. Occasionally the barrier is broken, but fortunately it's in the down position. That doesn't stop Thais going around it as the barrier covers only half of the road, but I prefer to back out and take another road out. The Sprinter is "fast", normally going at 100kph and not slowing down for the crossings, but signalling all the time. Generally it's mostly cows grazing around the tracks that get killed.

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 12:40 AM, Vacuum said:

What's that?

sec2 is reference to acceleration.  feet per second per second or the acceleration due to gravity of about 9.81 meters/sec/sec. Every second, the speed increases by 9.81 meters per second, ergo 9.81 m/sec^2

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 6:48 PM, elgenon said:

What the heck was the distance between the two barriers. 4 kilometers?

Yeah, it does seem like an odd accident, especially given the way so many Thais drive around, over and through crossings.  With a little luck there is a dash camera on the train and it will show what happened

Seriously, are we still mangling this no-brainer? You approach a train crossing, barriers or not, you slow down, look, listen.... but maybe it's just too much for the local people. I know they are still scared shitless of ghosts of people killed in the past at my local crossing.... At night, I always lower the windows and slow down, barriers or not..

Archived