Making a dream. Aka pond/lake

khwaibah

Hi KB,

Lake is looking good. Can I ask how you are going to get a 10 metre depth with that backhoe? Seems like it will mean several depth changes and interesting operations for the trucks. Another question is the costing, how is it calculated?

Regards IA

Edited by IsaanAussie

On 4/29/2019 at 8:18 PM, khwaibah said:

Water for this lake as I call it will come from rain

What is it that holds the rainwater in w/o it just dissolving into the ground? Also, if there is no or little rain, how will the pond fill up... I have thought of doing something similar. It is very dry in the North now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

What is it that holds the rainwater in w/o it just dissolving into the ground? Also, if there is no or little rain, how will the pond fill up... I have thought of doing something similar. It is very dry in the North now.

At this location the water table is at 4 meters and this helps keep the water stable. Saying that  yes it will go down as all ponds depend on rain and our rainy season is about 2 months off. Our two pond are about 500 meters away still have water and this new one has a pond with water about 50 meters away. At the moment the contractor has pulled off and will be back in about 2 weeks. Reason being there is a major highway 214 up grade about 1 km form our operation and his equipment is committed.. When he returns there is still about 2000 more loads to come out one of the jobs is to put in a 40 meter culvert from a drainage canal with gates and strainers from it to the lake to be used in the wet season. I'm guessing it will take 2 to 3 years to fill as guess on this a crap shoot. Below are photos I took about 8 this morning as I was able to drive about the site. 

The supervisor

image.png.01afaa105c630d5dc826576454283540.png

FL is mending the fence to keep the heard in. The canal is in the trees to your right.

image.png.306963dd8d103e17fdd755d5402aa199.png

Just up past what looks like a narrow white streak is the lake and above the lake is the tree line and canal.

image.png.acc5e1dfdd8557215d9805da01969f7e.png

Just below the tree line you can see an entrance road that has been built.

image.png.2c4469c0cc04701ae3ed6b9dee5069b0.png

You can see the equipment ramp that was and still used.

image.png.cee91ef5e6a791b56847c915fb03aeb5.png

The equipment ramp is to you left and this part of the lake is about 10 meters deep.

image.png.7f182865dc4dea7e3240b35fd9bb4042.png

• Like 1

That is getting to be one hell of a hole! Have you had any seepage of water into it, or sign of a spring? I am a bit surprised that there is no water in it with the water table you said was at 4 metres. 

Another question is do you intend to have fish in the lake? 10 metres is deep for most local fish. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IsaanAussie said:

That is getting to be one hell of a hole! Have you had any seepage of water into it, or sign of a spring? I am a bit surprised that there is no water in it with the water table you said was at 4 metres. 

Another question is do you intend to have fish in the lake? 10 metres is deep for most local fish. 

Answer to both question is yes. About 25 meters to the right of the fence line in the bottom photo is a pound that is at least 15 years old. It is on the wife uncle land. Its only source is from the water table and rain, its has never gone dry.

• Like 1

This is the wife uncle pond about 25 meters from our new project which is just on the otherside of the back fence in the photo. I took this photo two days back.

image.png.a61468670cb268d0ab5b78874ec2e7f5.png

TV has an article about the draught and Surin is listed. I have for the past 2 years been screaming my head off about this. What saves our arse is the water table being only 4 meters down.

Edited by khwaibah

I am amazed that pond has that much water in it now, must be a spring under it. Our place is on the eastern side of highway 220 and there is a natural soak system (not really a river) that runs parallel to the highway of our side. Our water table was about 2-3 metres down but as your can see the 2.5 metre deep pond is as dry as a bone. The pond of our rice paddies 12 rai block has an inch of water in it. Hopefully that means the current water table is not much more than 3 metres down. I might try digging a hole in the bottom of the pond shown above to find out. 

• Like 1

First time our main pond is dry. It was dug 2002-2003. Hopefully we get good rain this year but I think I am going to have to find more water to get it full again. Still a good chance to get rid of the water hyacinth that bone head brother in law thought were a good idea. 
17323.thumb.jpg.c68011388e30d0ec0b82ace3f4456a98.jpg
Does it have concrete walls?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Yes it does. Clay floor though to comply with organic rules. The pond is a U shape walls are steep and it is in a confined area. We intend to build a new house in the middle of the U. Hence the concrete for support.

• Like 2

On 4/30/2019 at 3:26 PM, khwaibah said:

Cost is calculated by truck load.. Delivered on site for the wife for her project is 200 baht per load. Delivered localy about 5 km is 250 per load then it goes to 350 per load. As they go lower a ramp is built for the earth excavator and trucks to use. Every night all equipment is above ground in case of rain, not a chance.???? They have taken out about 3000 loads and another 1000 to go. Fill has been sold to private and the local government for road repairs.  The photo was taken at a major intersection by her property this morning. After the work the excavator moved back into the pit. This was about 9 am hot as H and had to have a shot of lao khao with the boys.???? They stared Tuesday last week. About 4 rai of paddy fields and a new entrance road of about 100 meters built for her project.

image.png.a45a320d106f393f6639c68fb0945b95.png

Just a small question.  I was advised some time ago now that if you wish to extract to a depth greater than 4 meters, to be legal, irrespective whether it is private or a commercial venture, then you require a mineral extraction license.  Are you aware of this requirement or else perhaps it is no longer a requirment. Could you confirm please.

14 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Just a small question.  I was advised some time ago now that if you wish to extract to a depth greater than 4 meters, to be legal, irrespective whether it is private or a commercial venture, then you require a mineral extraction license.  Are you aware of this requirement or else perhaps it is no longer a requirment. Could you confirm please.

No I cannot. But it being my wife land with the Thai government involved for a major highway project I see no need to worry. There are other ponds around us of 4 to 8 meter depth and no permit was required.

Edited by khwaibah

Hope it turns out to be a spring for you and that others are unearthed as the dig progresses. A friend dug a large pond which revealed a small spring. That pond was nearly full before the rains came that year. Hopefully yours goes as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, well. Vineyard eh? I had thought pepper or maybe vanilla, something a bit exotic that needed a lot of water but had a high stable price and could be held if market fell. Close but no cigar. 

Grape vines wow! I know nothing of growing them but always figured them in the too hard basket other than a few vines planted in a sheltered pergola area. But 6 rai of trellised vines, brave man.

I wish you well and look forward to hearing about your progress. Better yet, mark me down for a bottle of the first vintage.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, IsaanAussie said:

But 6 rai of trellised vines, brave man.

Not me its the boss.???? Oh and I have ben corrected its 8 rai not 6 for vino collapse. Fwiw there are at least 3 other vineyards in the area but hers will be the largest. We have friends about 10 km away that have a winery and it is licensed by the authorities.????

On 5/15/2019 at 5:06 PM, khwaibah said:

I have been given permission to divulge more on a dream. The photo of the pond ,water on your right, depth is 10 meters. The water is from 8 days of rain and still falling. The pond is still under construction as all equipment is back out on the 214 highway upgrade. All dirt is contracted for the new highway so there is no charge for the construction of the pond. There is a little over 6 rai for this project. Where a certain lady is standing the highway is about 1km directly in back and that area she is standing in will be a vineyard.

image.png.5f9ac29ce10491eba7d05243912845f3.png

image.png.9668aa1a2f9b1f16f5dd008d3d48cca2.png

image.png.1a837f2100394ab31e3a43150da66c5f.png

Have you got somewhere to pump the water so they can keep digging or is that it till next dry season.

21 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

Have you got somewhere to pump the water so they can keep digging or is that it till next dry season.

There is a canal just on the back side of the pond so the answer is yes. The contractor that is doing this has the fill sold for the 214 highway upgrade about 1 km from the site. Fwiw this is how major highway upgrades get their fill.. by digging these ponds at no cost to the property owners. About 2500 truck loads have been taking out and about another 2000 to go. Out of that 2500 the wife has taken about 450 loads for fill for which she is standing on and an entrance road. It looks to me the highway  may be ready for this fill in another 2-3 weeks.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, khwaibah said:

Not me its the boss.???? Oh and I have ben corrected its 8 rai not 6 for vino collapse. Fwiw there are at least 3 other vineyards in the area but hers will be the largest. We have friends about 10 km away that have a winery and it is licensed by the authorities.????

OK make that two bottles of the first vintage. ????

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2019 at 10:08 AM, IsaanAussie said:

I was thinking exactly the same.

You said the water table was at 4 meters and you are stating you are at 10 meters.  That would with my simple mathematics think you would have 6 meters of water in there.......................LOL

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Cashboy said:

I was thinking exactly the same.

You said the water table was at 4 meters and you are stating you are at 10 meters.  That would with my simple mathematics think you would have 6 meters of water in there.......................LOL

Right hand side is about 18 foot of water.

image.png.4623b3f1ac43e28cb67803356ce77144.png

The canal is flowing from rains.

image.png.1690bd2fe05d3f65fb4e4bb1764e390c.png

• 2 months later...