French diplomat jumps to death from Bangkok Skytrain station

Jonathan Fairfield

French diplomat jumps to death from Skytrain station

n10.jpeg

A Bangkok-based French diplomat on Monday jumped to his death from the Taksin Skytrain station in Yannawa district.

He was identified as Jean-Claude Dubus Arnaud, 56, deputy information chief officer at the French Embassy in Bangkok.

Pol Lt-Colonel Insorn Udtip, chief investigator of Yannawa Police Station, was alerted about a foreigner falling to his death from the Skytrain station at about 4pm. Found on the body was a name card and passport identifying the deceased. 

According to security camera footage, the diplomat was seen arriving at the scene on a motorcycle taxi. 

Embassy representatives have been invited to the scene, Insorn said, adding that police are investigating the case.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30368581

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-29

The charity Samaritans is available around the clock for people who want to talk.

If you or anyone you know is in need of mental health services, please contact the Samaritans of Thailand at their 24-hour hotline 02-713-6791 (English), 02713-6793 (Thai) or Thai Mental Health Hotline at 1323 (Thai).

http://www.samaritansthai.com/news/samaritans-of-thailand-english-hotline/

Knowing nothing of the circumstance, and taking the report at face value, I would say that we expats can find ourselves a bit isolated at times. It is really important to have some friends, or even just acquaintances. Just a simple "Hello" or "Let's catch up soon" can help make a person feel better. Being able to unload a bad day with a friend can be a godsend. Always remember that the simplest gesture on your part could make a world of difference to someone else.

Arnaud Dubus -- Under the veneer, cracks appear within Thai Buddhism"

by Arnaud Dubus

" A Buddhist scholar and foreign correspondent both warn in recent books of the rising specter of Buddhist nationalism in Thailand.

Buddhist scholar Suraphot Thaweesak recently warned that a bid to enshrine Buddhism as the national religion would increase the kind of extremism that French journalist Arnaud Dubus writes about in his recently released book “Buddhism and Politics in Thailand.”

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2018/03/20/making-buddhism-national-religion-would-fuel-extremism-scholar-author/

So very sad.

Condolences to his family and friends.

Yes, a kind word, or action, and a shoulder to lean on when the going gets tough, are very important - more important than we can ever know, till we are the ones feeling that inner emptiness.
Please always think one thing - someone loves you - there is always someone who does care.... never forget that...

Knowing nothing of the circumstance, and taking the report at face value, I would say that we expats can find ourselves a bit isolated at times. It is really important to have some friends, or even just acquaintances. Just a simple "Hello" or "Let's catch up soon" can help make a person feel better. Being able to unload a bad day with a friend can be a godsend. Always remember that the simplest gesture on your part could make a world of difference to someone else.
He worked at the embassy so he had work colleagues so doubt isolation was the issue.

There is a serious issue with foreigner suicides in Thailand. 

There is no one to reach out to here, many people have no friends or family, merely acquaintances. 

There is the issue with men wasting lots or all of their money on ladies who see them as a cash machine. This leads to disillusionment...

I am not saying this happened in this case whatsoever, I am merely speaking in general. 

This is both strange and sad. A French diplomat in Thailand sure sounds like a pretty sweet gig. Money wouldn't be an issue, nor would health care, quality housing etc etc. You'd have colleagues and undoubtedly a circle of friends (if you so chose).

There is a back story here and I wonder what it is.

I do not know if he was a diplomat;

At age 55, Arnaud Dubus gave a new twist to his career last year by joining the press service of the French Embassy in Bangkok.

This "suicide" leaves me as doubtful as the so-called accidental fire of Notre Dame de Paris .

Rest in peace Arnaud .

Link in french 

https://lepetitjournal.com/bangkok/arnaud-dubus-grand-connaisseur-de-la-thailande-nous-quittes-256086

17 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

oI do not know if he was a diplomat;

At age 55, Arnaud Dubus gave a new twist to his career last year by joining the press service of the French Embassy in Bangkok.

This "suicide" leaves me as doubtful as the so-called accidental fire of Notre Dame de Paris .

Rest in peace Arnaud .

Link in french 

https://lepetitjournal.com/bangkok/arnaud-dubus-grand-connaisseur-de-la-thailande-nous-quittes-256086

Yes, for me he was not a diplomat, I don't know how to call his situation in the French embassy; of what I have read, he knew Thailand very well, may be too much...his death is related to politics, or private , but he was not alone, he had many people who seemed to appreciate him 

I realize that committing suicide is not a rational decision, most of the time. But, why do this in public? Why traumatize those who have to witness a body crashing into the pavement? What about the kids? What about the possibility of landing on someone, and taking them with you? 

I have said it before, and I will say it again. Suicide is the most selfish act a person can commit. Sure, if you are terminally ill, why not? But otherwise? Especially a public suicide. Where is the dignity in that?

11 hours ago, timendres said:

Working in Thailand for around 30 years I would have thought he'd built up a reasonable network of friends bot local and internationally.

2 hours ago, Cereal said:

This is both strange and sad. A French diplomat in Thailand sure sounds like a pretty sweet gig. Money wouldn't be an issue, nor would health care, quality housing etc etc. You'd have colleagues and undoubtedly a circle of friends (if you so chose).

There is a back story here and I wonder what it is.

We'll never find out, because the responsible authorities want to save Face of Thai culture

4 hours ago, notasmartassknowitallfarag said:

There is no one to reach out to here, many people have no friends or family, merely acquaintances. 

There is the issue with men wasting lots or all of their money on ladies who see them as a cash machine. This leads to disillusionment...

I'm sorry but your post leads me to believe you didn't' read the OP thoroughly.    At the bottom of each article about suicide on this forum there's an information paragraph saying this:

The charity Samaritans is available around the clock for people who want to talk.

If you or anyone you know is in need of mental health services, please contact the Samaritans of Thailand at their 24-hour hotline 02-713-6791 (English), 02713-6793 (Thai) or Thai Mental Health Hotline at 1323 (Thai).

http://www.samaritansthai.com/news/samaritans-of-thailand-english-hotline/

If you're feeling there's no one for you to talk with, this number could save your life.

As far as money loss is concerned,  I don't know how it could be stated more for visitors to  or expats in Thailand that   NEVER RISK MORE THAN YOU CAN AFFORD TO LOSE.

Archived