French diplomat jumps to death from Bangkok Skytrain station

Jonathan Fairfield

13 hours ago, Opl said:

Arnaud Dubus -- Under the veneer, cracks appear within Thai Buddhism"

by Arnaud Dubus

" A Buddhist scholar and foreign correspondent both warn in recent books of the rising specter of Buddhist nationalism in Thailand.

Buddhist scholar Suraphot Thaweesak recently warned that a bid to enshrine Buddhism as the national religion would increase the kind of extremism that French journalist Arnaud Dubus writes about in his recently released book “Buddhism and Politics in Thailand.”

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2018/03/20/making-buddhism-national-religion-would-fuel-extremism-scholar-author/

WOW, he was writing Books ! WOW .... Very sad that he has left us I think !!! .... RIP Abang.

I don't often commend ThaiVisa but I do think it's great that they post the message at the end of story about the Samaritans for anybody experiencing depression and suicidal thoughts. Sadly this gentleman ended his life. 

14 hours ago, madmen said:
15 hours ago, timendres said:
Knowing nothing of the circumstance, and taking the report at face value, I would say that we expats can find ourselves a bit isolated at times. It is really important to have some friends, or even just acquaintances. Just a simple "Hello" or "Let's catch up soon" can help make a person feel better. Being able to unload a bad day with a friend can be a godsend. Always remember that the simplest gesture on your part could make a world of difference to someone else.

He worked at the embassy so he had work colleagues so doubt isolation was the issue.

You can be surrounded by so many people yet still feel so alone. RIP

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I realize that committing suicide is not a rational decision, most of the time. But, why do this in public? Why traumatize those who have to witness a body crashing into the pavement? What about the kids? What about the possibility of landing on someone, and taking them with you? 

I have said it before, and I will say it again. Suicide is the most selfish act a person can commit. Sure, if you are terminally ill, why not? But otherwise? Especially a public suicide. Where is the dignity in that?

Why traumatize those who have to witness a body crashing into the pavement? What about the kids? What about the possibility of landing on someone, and taking them with you? 

You answered it in your first sentence - "I realize that committing suicide is not a rational decision" ... :thumbsup:

Sad though it is, this decent man is now where he wants to be.  However, he stood the chance of landing in front of a child who might then be terribly traumatised and triggered into depression.  So guys, please don't join the balcony diving club, there must surely be more dignified ways to go that don't involve endangering the sanity of onlookers and your family.

Thank you to the above members for posting respectful comments. I also thank other contributors to this thread in advance for their own polite and respectful contributions.

Off topic, disrespectful and speculative posts will be removed without further notice.

21 hours ago, kandi said:

He's been living and working in Thailand since 1989. 30 years is a long time.

i been here 20 years retired no problems, working here with the Thais or along side them is another thing, that would be enough, to make one want to jump. RIP

Some people with terminal illnesses will make this decision to end their life.  Robin WIlliams and Margot Kidder are 2 that come to mind.   Nothing said here about his health, though it is remotely possible he had a terminal illness and never told anyone.   

I have seen 2 people suffer through stage 4 metastasized cancer and it is not something I would want to live through just to die after months of pain and suffering. 

7 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Some people with terminal illnesses will make this decision to end their life.  Robin WIlliams and Margot Kidder are 2 that come to mind.   Nothing said here about his health, though it is remotely possible he had a terminal illness and never told anyone.   

I have seen 2 people suffer through stage 4 metastasized cancer and it is not something I would want to live through just to die after months of pain and suffering. 

i agree but their are nice ways that you can do it and without putting others through the distress of seeing you do it in a public area.

23 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I realize that committing suicide is not a rational decision, most of the time. But, why do this in public? Why traumatize those who have to witness a body crashing into the pavement? What about the kids? What about the possibility of landing on someone, and taking them with you? 

I have said it before, and I will say it again. Suicide is the most selfish act a person can commit. Sure, if you are terminally ill, why not? But otherwise? Especially a public suicide. Where is the dignity in that?

I have to respectfully disagree with this. I don't think selfishness enters into it most of the time. There are exceptions of course, but suicide is one of the ballsiest things a person can do. Think about the desperation and intensity of the decision one makes just before the leap. It isn't cowardice or selfishness it is perhaps the exact opposite.

I've been seriously down, as many have, and thought about it only to be pulled back from the brink by the timely intervention of a friend.

If you feel suicidal, reach out before the act which cannot be taken back.

15 hours ago, ttrd said:
On 4/30/2019 at 8:39 AM, spidermike007 said:

Why traumatize those who have to witness a body crashing into the pavement? What about the kids? What about the possibility of landing on someone, and taking them with you? 

You answered it in your first sentence - "I realize that committing suicide is not a rational decision" ... :thumbsup:

Euthanasia

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 6:55 AM, notasmartassknowitallfarag said:

There is a serious issue with foreigner suicides in Thailand. 

There is no one to reach out to here, many people have no friends or family, merely acquaintances. 

There is the issue with men wasting lots or all of their money on ladies who see them as a cash machine. This leads to disillusionment...

I am not saying this happened in this case whatsoever, I am merely speaking in general. 

"I am not saying this happened in this case whatsoever, I am merely speaking in general". 

What you are saying "in general" is nonsense.

The state of the man's mind, health, and consciousness would not point to a happy person to decide to jump off of an overhead walkway. RIP fellow traveler of this world! 

This event make me feel a bit disturbing, they found the body on the pavement after, what seems to be a fatal jumb from the BTS platform, and the only CCTV coverage that they refer is the external one which shows this guy arriving in motorcycle....

CCTV cover on every BTS station is total, in addition in Saphan Thaksin you have permanently two security guards on the platform, one at each end of the platform,  So does the records from the platform show him jumping or not.... that's my actual question.

The guy was no loser, that's for sure. I suppose only those close to him might have an inkling of what prompted this. Hopefully, there'll be a full investigation. I mean, did he go to the station specifically to jump, or was he en route elsewhere. On the surface, it all sounds highly suspicious, without knowing the ins and outs. Certainly, if I was going to commit suicide, jumping in a public place is the last option I'd choose, unless I wanted to make a statement.

Archived