BANGKOK 26 May 2019 17:11
volleyowl

Scared and alone in BKK

A post completely missing the context and the subsequent responses removed..

I can understand the feelings of the OP. Many times, I wish I had moved to someplace closer to the USA. There is little help here because most of the population are abused by the system and are victims of poverty. I was forced into retirement before I wanted to leave and had no place to go except a foreign country where my retirement dollars could buy a better lifestyle than I could live at home. There are visa issues now and the looming issue of healthcare costs if I have to go to the hospital. At 69, there is no "safety net" resembling even the modest help I might get in the USA. Plenty of downsides to living here but many ways to live on less. Stay out of the bars and watch who you associate with. Contact me privately if you need to talk.

You have an reactive anxiety disorder, see a psychiatrist and start SSRI medication like Sertralin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

1.  Why is your partner taking 5 days for a visa run???!?!

2.  Don't depend on anyone, partner, family, even friends, or some god or other superstition.

3.  Never listen to overly negative people, or hang around with such people.. they will bring you down.

Get yourself out of the house, go for a walk, go shopping, eat nice food, get exercise, and make nice chit chat with people and make new friends, get some interests or hobbies....this is the key to feeling better and good mental health.

Saying inside, isolating yourself and having a small or no social network will lead to worse mental health.... and going to some doctor for medications will only mask the problem and not heal it.

Trust in yourself and try not to give a dam about stuff..... realise how many thing you think are massive problems and reasons to worry are in fact very small insignificant things in fact.  Don't think about the past and dwell of bad memories or mistakes... and don't worry about all the possible things that can happen in the future.... try to live in the moment.  

Don't stress about your new job... just go for it.  If it works out it will be very good for you, and if it fails then that is life, pick up and go for the next job and learn from the experience. 

Finally, look at other peoples lives who have it a lot harder and worse then you, then you will realise how much you have and how lucky you are in many ways others are not.

Good luck to you, I am sure you will really enjoy you life here if you can keep positive... and it will help you be a stronger and more balanced person for your new experience you have here.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Happystance said:

One thing that helped me through some anxiety about distance was discovering just how small the world really is, flying.

I find comfort in knowing how quickly I can be home if needed.

I've flown last minute several times: booked within days of flying and as direct as possible- 14-19 hours and I'm back. Given the time difference, it's the same day! 

Family is just one ticket away.

And it doesn't have to be expensive, I fly one-way for $300-$600 easy one layover max, no stressing about advance purchase and plans. 

Layover flights in Hong Kong and Kuala Lumpur tend to be cheap...

You should post something on this. I was certainly unaware of anything in that price range.

• Thanks 1

If the thought of starting a new job terrifies the OP, he has two choices. Either turn up for work or don't. Unless his visa is dependent on work.

There are always options in any stressful situation. The key to moving on is to focus on the positive possibilities, and choose one.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

You have an reactive anxiety disorder, see a psychiatrist and start SSRI medication like Sertralin.

This is good advice for many.  SSRIs take three or four weeks to work but they can be life-changing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1