BANGKOK 26 May 2019 16:58
volleyowl

Scared and alone in BKK

there many western counselors and psychologist here. just do a google search. A few come to mind, 

lighthouse human services, PSI, Ann O'white. get yourself to a counselor.

Ben Weinstein at PSI is a professional counseller from the USA practicing in Bangkok. I am sure he could help. Contact him here : http://www.psiadmin.com/

Short term: see a counselor. Talk to family. Get out of the house a bit.

Long term: re-evaluate whether Thailand is for you. It sounds like this is your first time overseas (is it?) and Thailand is a very big change from the US. It is safer here than many US cities actually, as long as you have common sense. Thais are generally friendly and unless you're looking for trouble you will rarely find it. On the flip-side, Thailand is an amplifier - if you are a strong-minded individual you'll excel here, but if you have any sort of problem (drinking, gambling, drugs, whatever) Thailand only makes it worse. In your case it sounds like you rely heavily on your partner and family, and being away from either is a problem - if that's the case you and your partner might want to move closer to your family as he/she can't be expected to be there 24/7/365.

• Thanks 1

Wow, sorry to hear of your anxiety. To me I have never been scared while in Thailand (except a couple of times driving on the roads). 

Posted (edited)

An offensive post has been reported and removed. 

A troll post and the replies has now been removed. 

Edited by metisdead
  • Like 2

Sorry to say psychiatric help is not something Asians have high on their priority list.

Sounds like a bad case of homesickness to me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Post of the year

but here you still are 🙂

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you for all of the supportive replies.

I have been diagnosed with social phobia (social anxiety disorder), I am pretty sure I have undiagnosed post traumatic stress disorder, and diagnosed Adhd. I take 4 medications, 3 are for anti anxiety and 1 for adhd. The only thing that helps me with the flashbacks is medi cc's al marijuana, which I understand is still illegal here. Of all the different medications I have taken over the 17 or so years. Medical marijuana is the only thing that completely eradicates my flashbacks and anxiety. I believe the science behind it is because my overactive Amygdala finally gets a chance to relax which is one of the reasons why I believe MMJ to be highly effective. I know I more than likely won't be prescribed it though,  as psychological disorders are not seen as important or relevant as actual physical diseases.  What people fail to understand is that there are absolutely physical manifestations of my anxiety- I have severe chest pains. My mind goes blank because the bloodflow to my brain goes to other parts of my body which causes me not being able to think clearly. I do not understand why psychological disorders are not treated with so much more urgency that it deserves. 

I saw a psychiatrist at Mission Adventist Hospital and waited over 2 hours yesterday but all she wanted to put me on another medication. I told her no, and I am not going on a benzodiazepine. She seemed shocked that I knew what that was. What she didn't know is that I have probably tried every anti anxiety medication so trying to throw another medication at me is only band-aiding the issue.

I really need to see a Western Psychologist and I appreciate the positive feedback some of you have given. Yes, I am fragile but I know this is only temporary. This move is one of the most difficult things I have ever done and now I have no choice but to grow up and face the real world.

Today, I did get out and I felt much better. I used a lot of positive self talk and listened to motivational and positive talks. I know positive music helps as well. I just had no idea moving was going to be this difficult and I was so hopeful because I had been able to be successful in other aspects of my life. Btw, my family is in the USA and I video chat with them once or twice a week. I just chatted with my mom today which was really nice. I really appreciate that my Mom and my Dad do not baby me and know all about my anxiety conditions. They feel responsible for how I was treated because it was my sister who caused me sexual trauma when I was 4 and then continued to bully me everyday which led me to be isolated and socially awkward,  I'd get sexually harassed by older men all throughout my elementary, HS years, which led me to be promiscuous at a young age, I got into drugs and alcohol at 15, etc. By 21, I said I was so tired of alcohol. I have been sober for 10+ years now of any alcohol or hard drugs (cocaine). I do not believe medical marijuana is a drug but I will never di that in thailand unless I get medically cleared.

I attempted suicide twice in 2010 but do not feel like I will hurt myself even though I think about it everyday. I realize that is just my brain trying to protect me from the 'unknown' so it is trying to talk me out of moving into uncharted territories (specifically, living in Thailand, starting my new job tomorrow).

My partner is taking 5 days for a Visa Run because he also has somewhere he wanted to go in the country he will be doing the Visa Run in. We know it typically does not take 5 days but he had other matters he is tending to. 

Anyway, I need to focus on positive stuff because I know the more I dwell on the negative, the more I am going to spiral. Moving here made me realize I have so much learning to do about the world. It is scary but I can do it, one thing at a time.

Thank you guys so much.

Also, this is random but.. someone told me because I am Japanese people will tend to rip me off because people will think I have money. I really do not and don't come from a very rich family. Can anyone confirm? Thank you again. 

Sorry for all the typos btw. On my phone.

Edited by volleyowl
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Stay strong, stay positive, keep your chin up... Life in Thailand will throw you curve balls as will life anywhere, but as long as you remember that you can always go back to square one and move back to your comfort zone in the US.... 

There are many good people here and good people gravitate towards each other, but learn to recognise the negative, especially the over opinionated filth who can only throw negativity in your direction. (you will have seen these on this thread already telling you Thailand is not for you as if they are the only ones with the strength to handle a foreign country!).

Learn to embrace the differences and do your best to enjoy the challenge.... This could be the making of a stronger more confident you - take the bull by the horns and go for it. 

You will make friends at work, be open to those friendships. 

I believe there are support networks - seek them out if you need them. 

Well said, can I add:

..don't be upset or frightened just because things are a bit different, if the whole world was exactly the same it would be boring. Further, no culture is perfect and we can all learn something useful / valuable from other cultures / from each other. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Go home. You dont belong outside of your home country.

or your home come to that

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Hi mate,

how are ya? Hope everything is fine and settled down.. I can be reached at <<<<Phone number edited out of post>>>>.

I am an Egyptian guy staying at Pattaya.

my advice just don’t think too much, live your life, its only once bro.. once your dog is with ya .. a lot will change.

last but not least, start work, work work .. it will getta ya out of the mood .

stay safe bro.

Edited by metisdead
18) You will not post phone numbers, email addresses, business names, or web/Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses in posts or signatures.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, Spidey said:

Get on the next plane back to the US. No help for your problems here. It will only increase your anxiety.

Some people think that if they come to Thailand their problems will go away. Big mistake. They will only get worse.

Although I do like thailand, it has its pros and cons,

I can't imagine any sensible person thinking coming to thailand will solve their problems or be a paradise unless its for retirement and you have a lot of money

I suggest you take a small dose of lorazepam, very easy to buy at family owned pharmacies.

• Confused 1