Chiang Mai tourism is dead! But no one mentions the impact of smog crisis

webfact

9 hours ago, Lacessit said:

IMHO the only way to stop the burning is to jail or heavily fine the poo yais of each village where burning happens. They will pass their pain down the line.

Go to the top and hit the landowners with massive fines, that will soon trickle down through the ranks.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was in CM in December and the air pollution was appalling.

this cheap retirement for poor westerners comes at a cost.

you are the frogs in the heating water. Go some place developed and see what a clean and a good life is.

On 5/27/2019 at 5:41 AM, hmficc said:

you are the frogs in the heating water. Go some place developed and see what a clean and a good life is.

You considered air quality in Dec. to be "appalling".....? ????

I had a friend visit for the whole month of Dec. who rented a condo on the 11th flr. at HillSide 4,looking straight into Doi Suthep. That mountain was clear as a bell, never disappeared once!

You have no idea what "appalling" really is until you visit in March.????

Chiang Mai had a max PM 2.5 today of 124.  Even with the rains there is still burning in the North.  I still see forest fires that have been set in my area.  Burn, burn, burn and it's almost June.

I was in Chiang my yesterday May 29 and the place was empty.  Not even traffic on the road. Yeah, dead.  With the pollution now spanning 4 months out of the year - I don't think that bodes well for tourism.  Now an idle Immigration can make plans on how to rid itself of long-stay retirees.  But given the health risks of the smoke lingering 1/3 of the year, the exit of those retirees to healthier climes may be a self-fulling prophecy.  Thailand is heading downhill, but the North with it's "Worst Air in the World" will be heading down faster.  

On 5/26/2019 at 5:41 PM, hmficc said:

Bring money...  You'll need it.

19 hours ago, DingDongLing said:

Good soon it will spread all over thailand unless they stop their polluting ways and anti-farang attitudes.

Don't know about the pollution but it is a race to the bottom in other areas. Just had a 'beat down' in Pai. These thugs are only there because the tourist industry created Pai, so now you want to bring it down. Where will it all end?

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 6:08 AM, Thailand said:

Go to the top and hit the landowners with massive fines, that will soon trickle down through the ranks.

And the owners of forest areas that are part of national parks are..... ?

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 4:35 PM, chickenrunCM said:

Why is it bad that police stops people and check if hey have driver license? They stop thais too! And the fine should be 10 times higher for driving a motorbike without a license.

Simply because while checking for a driver's licence or a helmet, they let drivers go by driving like they are intent on killing themselves, and you and I in the process...

The checking that is badly needed is to see whether the driver demonstrates enough brain activity.

On 5/25/2019 at 7:57 AM, BritManToo said:

But in Northern Thailand vehicles aren't the problem...

If you believe that, I dare you to get in a songthaew and travel the ring road that follows the moat in CM. Let's see how long you can take the fumes, gasping for air, before vehicles start to smell like a problem to you.

My guess is you wouldn't last one circle around the city...

Vehicle emissions not the problem? 

Go stand in front of Airport Plaza for a few minutes and breathe in that traffic.

Let's see how many minutes you can, before understanding that vehicle emissions are indeed an issue...

Archived