Charcoal tooth whitening powder/paste?

konisaan

Has anyone seen this type of product for sale in CM? Some say it works well.

I saw some sellers on Lazada but I think the chances of getting brake dust from China might be slightly less if I purchase it from a chemist or cosmetics shop locally.

I can suggest an easier and alternative method that does a great job.

I use this method just once a week, mainly because its an absolutely disgusting taste and want to finish asap.

Bicarb soda and a squeeze of lemon juice. Just a teaspoon of bicarb then a few drops of lemon and make a paste.

Then collect it up on your toothbrush.

You know that expression "no pain no gain"

This applies perfectly.

I had the laser treatment done for 10k, ten year since, possibly the biggest waste of money ever.

3 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

I use this method just once a week, mainly because its an absolutely disgusting taste and want to finish asap.

Bicarb soda and a squeeze of lemon juice. Just a teaspoon of bicarb then a few drops of lemon and make a paste.

This applies perfectly.

I had the laser treatment done for 10k, ten year since, possibly the biggest waste of money ever.

Yip, I agree, but even more basic.  I keep (and travel with) a tiny seal-able tupperware dish, of baking soda.  Give the fangs a good scrub daily before using your normal toothpaste.  I'm an occasional smoker and hardcore coffee drinker.  No sign what so ever of any staining (really white).   I know the baking soda works well, because I notice a bit of nic/coff staining on the backside of my teeth (let the dentist scrape those barnacles off).  I use a "Philips Sonic Care" electric toothbrush usually 3 times a week, when home here (with the baking soda).

Yup, you guys are on it...baking soda is the cheapest natural wonder worker out there,combined with other natural components and whola,no more expensive "cures" of commercial lotions & potions needed.

Make a shampoo solution combined with kaffir lime and say goodbye to grey hair.

20 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

This applies perfectly.

Thanks for the feedback. Tried the baking soda method in the past but it didn't work for me. Professional whitening is just too expensive long term. I wanted to try the charcoal/bentonite clay method because it had a lot of positive feedback and kind of makes sense when you think about how these compounds are very good at absorbing various chemicals. 

20 hours ago, OneZero said:

Internet recommendation:  Teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda & a few drops of Hydrogen peroxide mix (instead of the lemon juice).

I've considered trying it.

Has anybody any experience to share about this mix?

That is exactly what the dentist uses (and charges 10K Baht for the pleasure).

22 hours ago, OneZero said:

Internet recommendation:  Teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda & a few drops of Hydrogen peroxide mix (instead of the lemon juice).

That's the one I use regularly

You can just also put diluted hydrogen peroxide in your mouth and keep it there for a minute.

To the original poster - Colgate has several whitening products, one or two with charcoal, that may work. They also have pastes with various salts, even tiny balls for an abrasive effect.

To those suggesting peroxide - I have spoken to a few dentists, and all of them recommend against it. In tiny quantities it may be okay, but even that is questionable. Dentists say that peroxide kills all bacteria and brings about changes to the bacteria in the mouth that can lead to other problems over time, such as severe halitosis.

You may want to read up about "dental erosion".  As someone who tried to keep her teeth white in her younger years, I didn't realize the damage I was doing.  Once in my sixties, I realized that the loss in size of my teeth, especially my top front teeth was beginning to affect my speech, ie. I was sounding like an "old lady" when I listened to myself in recordings and I lost the ability to bite into a sandwich or eat corn on the cob.

Fortunately, dental work in Chiang Mai is affordable, I have strong dental roots and a good tolerance to spending hours in a dentist's chair.  Many hours and many baht later I now have 24 crowns, a much better looking jawline (it was like having cosmetic surgery) and a renewed appreciation about how to care for my teeth.

4 hours ago, Wandr said:

To the original poster - Colgate has several whitening products, one or two with charcoal, that may work. They also have pastes with various salts, even tiny balls for an abrasive effect.

To those suggesting peroxide - I have spoken to a few dentists, and all of them recommend against it. In tiny quantities it may be okay, but even that is questionable. Dentists say that peroxide kills all bacteria and brings about changes to the bacteria in the mouth that can lead to other problems over time, such as severe halitosis.

Blackie, I mean Darlie makes one with charcoal.. 27 THB for 85 gram.  It is good to try some different brands.  The Salz has some good varieties, too.  Always had good luck with Closeup for breath and whitening. 

And that reminds me... You all are lucky to have a Jampha store... on Suthep, cmu backside, and close to a few good 20 THB stores.  They beat Tesco on just about everything.. and unlike the Tesco at the corner, Jampha never smells terrible. 

On 5/1/2019 at 11:37 AM, HaleySabai said:

Yup, you guys are on it...baking soda is the cheapest natural wonder worker out there,combined with other natural components and whola,no more expensive "cures" of commercial lotions & potions needed.

Make a shampoo solution combined with kaffir lime and say goodbye to grey hair.

Interesting.  There's a company in the US that sells baking soda (Arm and Hammer) and they also make toothpaste.

image.png.93be0752d531fb651c57263fd1ece2ec.png

Just ask for carbon at any pharmacy. There are a couple of versions of carbon I think, but the cheapest one has carbon powder in a capsule you can open up. Just pop one of these open and put the powder on your toothbrush. It does actually work, I do it from time to time, but sometimes get lazy with it as it takes a bit of time to get rid of it once your done. I actually see a difference though. This for me beats other "whitening" methods as it is only absorbing dirt on your teeth, it is not corrosive. Your teeth will not get more sensitive by it, as they can from other whitening methods. 

On April 30, 2019 at 8:22 PM, OneZero said:

Preferably someone who still has their teeth

Would avoid brushing with bicarb, it's too abrasive, while lemon juice is highly acidic and will eat into the enamel eventually. Get the two together and you're in for a world of hurt. Lemon is great inside the gut where it turns alkali, but avoid touching teeth. Also, forget those carbon-infused whitening pastes; too little contact time and possibly also abrasive.

Most surefire way is as above, breaking open an activated carbon capsule. But don't brush with it (and certainly not into the gum line); you have to let it sit on your teeth for a couple/three minutes, daily. It works by drawing out the tannin on stained teeth. One has to be patient, though, as you won't see results for a few weeks.

9 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Would avoid brushing with bicarb, it's too abrasive, while lemon juice is highly acidic and will eat into the enamel eventually. Get the two together and you're in for a world of hurt. Lemon is great inside the gut where it turns alkali, but avoid touching teeth. Also, forget those carbon-infused whitening pastes; too little contact time and possibly also abrasive.

...keep in mind, most regular toothpaste has "marble dust" as its abrasive.  

Fun fact: Most toothpaste contains marble dust! Ground marble is used in products such as some papers, paints and in toothpaste (listed as calcium carbonate).

1 hour ago, brommers said:

Why would anyone want to use a product that is deemed as ineffective, caused dental damage and gum damage by the British & American Dental associations!

Here are two recent comments re charcoal in the recent UK press

1.  Dr Joseph Greenwall-Cohen from the University of Manchester Dental School and British Dental Bleaching Society, reviewed dozens of scientific studies on charcoal products as co-author of an article in the British Dental Journal.
He said: 'The problem is that there are so many celebrity endorsements and social media posts about these products, but the claims made about them are unsupported by the evidence.
'The high abortive nature of charcoal limits the amount of active fluoride in the toothpastes required for prevention of dental decay. 
'Additionally the "whitening effect" of the toothpaste is limited to removal of staining and may be no more than the whitening effect of any regular toothpaste.'
2.  Professor Damien Walmsley, scientific adviser for the British Dental Association, said: 'Charcoal-based toothpastes offer no silver bullets for anyone seeking a perfect smile, and come with real risks attached.
'These abrasive formulations may be effective at removing surface stains, but prolonged use may also wear away tooth enamel. Research now shows it could even cause discoloration of the gums.
'The vast majority of these toothpastes are fluoride-free so aren't even offering the basics required to protect teeth from decay.
'So don't believe the hype. Anyone concerned about staining or discoloured teeth that can't be shifted by a change in diet, or improvements to their oral hygiene, should see their dentist.' 

These two professionals don't seem to like the idea very much either!

On 5/3/2019 at 9:47 AM, NancyL said:

You may want to read up about "dental erosion".  As someone who tried to keep her teeth white in her younger years, I didn't realize the damage I was doing.  Once in my sixties, I realized that the loss in size of my teeth, especially my top front teeth was beginning to affect my speech, ie. I was sounding like an "old lady" when I listened to myself in recordings and I lost the ability to bite into a sandwich or eat corn on the cob.

Fortunately, dental work in Chiang Mai is affordable, I have strong dental roots and a good tolerance to spending hours in a dentist's chair.  Many hours and many baht later I now have 24 crowns, a much better looking jawline (it was like having cosmetic surgery) and a renewed appreciation about how to care for my teeth.

Did you have to get implants in order to get those crowns?

Hey Nancy what happened to improve yr jawline?
They make the teeth longer and move the jawline lower?
I think Tom Cruise used to have lousy teeth.
Now they look very long , but good

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived