Overseas Divorce

eezergood

OK - so a good friend of mine wants to get divorced, both are Thai nationals and neither will contest it. They have been separated for at least 18 months and this is over (so no need to ask anything more on that front) They where married in Australia but never registered the marriage here. IS this legally binding here in Thailand? as the cost of divorce in Aus is very high, I suggested to just leave it and move on with her life. She is only worried that is will prevent her from re-marrying legally here in Thailand?

Thoughts pls?

I don't see how they can get divorced in Thailand unless they first register their marriage here.  After that I guess they can divorce, and subsequently register the divorce in Australia. 

If divorcing in Australia is too expensive, perhaps a cheaper option is to register the Australian marriage in Thailand, and then also divorcing in Thailand.  Then register the divorce, perhaps at some later time, if/when needed,  in Australia too.

Seems like there is no issue for them to do the paperwork, the main issue (one of) was the cost of filing for divorce in Aus (AUD$900) however I think she will follow mine and the general consensus advice to register & divorce here then inform the Aus govt at a later date.

IS there a cooling off (so to say ) period for registering & divorcing? As I understand from divorce to re-marry requires a certain length of time

The man can remarry the same day but the lady has to wait for a period of something like 310 days (you would have to check on that), this is in case she finds that she is with child from the first husband.

HL

Archived