BIG PROBLEM....British Embassy no longer allowing income on affirmation of freedom to marry. Huge headache at district office

jimjams33

I went to the British embassy today to get my affirmation of freedom to marry, and if you notice on the form, they have now deleted the income section, i asked them at the counter and they said its a new policy. Great....apart from the fact it isnt!!!! I have had a major problem today at the district office, they will not accept the affirmation with out the income section complete. Its states this in the thai legal requirements for foreign nationals to marry thai's so WHY OH WHY did the embassy remove that part. I am very hacked off....they are meant to help us here and be our point of contact and support, i am very very disappointed.

The ampur office said they would do it for a donation........but this still wont fix the problem as it will only cause bigger problems when you apply for your first 1 year extension after you receive your 90 day marriage visa as you will need the affirmation if you want to convert it into a 1 year visa or so i have heard. Do you need your original affirmation to get the 1 year extension or can you get a new one? 

Any ideas would be good. Thanks

I think the embassy has probably removed the income section from the affirmation to stop it being used as a pseudo income letter.  I had often thought about getting the document myself and seeing if immigration would accept it.

You shouldn't need the affirmation to do your marriage extensions, immigration offices usually just want marriage certificate, and kor ror 2. If they do happen to want the affirmation they probably wont care if the income section is missing. 

Yes I got the Freedom to marry document last week and noticed the income part had been deleted. They gave me a piece of paper explaining something in Thai so maybe it is about this. I was going to get the marriage certificate at some point next week. I am worried about it now.

If your affirmation gets accepted, please let me know where.....i will pop in too. I will wait a couple of weeks and see what happens, might try contacting the embassy and find out whats going on as you cant get married with out the income part. I understand that they might have done it to stop the proof of income but its for marriage for crying out loud and if the thai authorities want to accept an affirmation to prove income then let them, why is our embassy just letting us down again! complete madness

As Peter states in post number 2 I have the same experience. All we do is the other half goes to the local Amphur with her Thai I.D. and they print off two copies of the Kor Ror 2, 

First time we did it ( 3 years ago ) we took a copy of the marriage cert. but they said it was not needed. I think here in Hua Hin it was 100 Baht a copy......Good Luck....:thumbsup:

Why do you need an income for the free to marry certificate ? There is nothing on the Australian “ Certificate of no impediment to marriage” about your income, just your usual occupation and address, your parents details and that’s it.

On 4/30/2019 at 5:42 PM, jimjams33 said:

Ok thanks for the info on the 1 year extension, that's what i thought but TIT, guess ill see what happens lol

I have never had to show the affirmation to Thai Imm for my 1st and subsequent, several, marriage extns.

Only original marriage very and KR2 with copies.

I took in the new British affirmation certificate with no income and got married. The affirmation was accepted but probably because I showed them my work permit and a salary slip to be on the safe side. This turned out to be an important move as they referred to it a lot and took copies. I went to Laksi Amphur. They insisted on a translator and 2 family witnesses. They were also very, very slow.

Apparently they got my middle name wrong in the Thai translation. So my marriage certificate has my middle name slightly wrong. I hope this will not be a problem when I get a marriage visa. The officer said if she had noticed it at the beginning she wouldn't have accepted it.

• 1 month later...
On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 6:09 PM, UnkleGoooose said:

If they're effectively preventing you from getting married, then they've done you a solid. 

I think Laos brought in an age restriction on farang Lao marriages some years ago. I wish Thailand had brought that in before I got married. It would have been the perfect excuse not to put myself in harm's way.

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 9:47 PM, barry553 said:

I took in the new British affirmation certificate with no income and got married. The affirmation was accepted but probably because I showed them my work permit and a salary slip to be on the safe side. This turned out to be an important move as they referred to it a lot and took copies. I went to Laksi Amphur. They insisted on a translator and 2 family witnesses. They were also very, very slow.

Apparently they got my middle name wrong in the Thai translation. So my marriage certificate has my middle name slightly wrong. I hope this will not be a problem when I get a marriage visa. The officer said if she had noticed it at the beginning she wouldn't have accepted it.

Just to be pedantic, there is no "marriage visa. You get an extension of a non O visa on the basis of marriage ( or any other valid reason, like retirement ), but it's not a visa as such.

If you are referring to the non O itself, that can be granted on the basis of being married, or retired etc, but if that is issued in your own country by a consulate, it probably wouldn't be as big a deal if your middle name is slightly wrong as it is in LOS, IMO.

Archived