BANGKOK 22 July 2019 03:10
Kalasin Jo

So you're Thai wife dies. What happens to you?

Lots of questions here okay... "Mourning, funeral, wake ( or "party") etc. Will they expect you the husband to pay for that?"  Yes.  If a funeral happens the falang must pay.  Also if the wife is just sick the falang must pay.  Double so if she is alive, happy, sad, in a coma etc.  pretty much assume the falang must pay.  There is no 'off' setting for that especially when dealing with in law Thai family members.  Is it sunny?  Falang must pay.  Raining?  Falang must pay.  You get the idea.  

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

🙏Get a lawyer who speaks English can obtain in Bangkok. If the news is all bad get a nice Suite at one of the finest hotels in Bangkok of course near the BTS. Hit the bars, GoGo's, massage salon etc. have the time of your life on the way home take the BTS when it just arrives jump!

If the news is good do all the things listed above except the jump!

Edited by thailand49

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Leave it in the dead wife's name, then there's no problem.

Agreed.

• Like 1

Insurance - A Farang Friend of mine died not long ago and they had what I’d guess is burial insurance that footed most the cost. Thought it was a bit hokey at the beginning of the ceremony the insurance company handed the wife a big sign that was like 50,000 baht. 

No idea what the cost was. I asked but didn’t hear anything....

Many different thoughts on here about this, easy for most to sort things about.

In my case, if my wife dies before me, i would be up the creek without a paddle.

The thought of her dying first terrifies me.

• Like 1

My Thai wife passed away 14 years ago in Bangkok. Our oldest luk krung Thai citizen son was 19 at the time.  When he turned 20 a few months later he came back from the USA where he was studying in university and we signed three houses over into his name.  No problem, easy peasy.

On 5/18/2019 at 6:28 PM, Peterw42 said:

I think a husband paying for his wifes funeral or illness would be pretty standard practice all over the world. Not everything is a thai conspiracy against foreigners.

The situation as described is that his late wife had a will and possibly life insurance that names her family not her former husband and beneficiary.  So the parents will collect *ALL* the money and *ALL* of the jointly owned goods then demand he pay for everything.  Conspiracy?  Would the situation I described happen in England or the US and be not only socially acceptable but expected?  Falang must pay is the rule.

15 minutes ago, remorhaz said:

The situation as described is that his late wife had a will and possibly life insurance that names her family not her former husband and beneficiary.  So the parents will collect *ALL* the money and *ALL* of the jointly owned goods then demand he pay for everything.  Conspiracy?  Would the situation I described happen in England or the US and be not only socially acceptable but expected?  Falang must pay is the rule.

That's a very broad assessment. There is no rule that "Farang must pay" and to say so is plain stupid. If there is a scenario where there has been an insurance taken out and left to the family and not the husband, whether Farang or Thai, he has been either stupid or set up.

If you have a good relationship with your wife and her family then a death will likely bring everyone together and things will proceed in a nice manner.

If things go the way that you suggest then I would imagine the guy has been getting screwed his whole married life and should have seen it coming.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, remorhaz said:

Nothing stops you from getting your own life insurance on your wife. Also they will get half of the property if the will says so, but the other half is still yours... No one can force you to pay for a funeral but who the hell wouldn't pay for his owns wife funeral anyway?!

• Like 1

On 5/18/2019 at 5:21 PM, DJ54 said:

A Farang Friend of mine died not long ago and they had what I’d guess is burial insurance that footed most the cost. Thought it was a bit hokey at the beginning of the ceremony the insurance company handed the wife a big sign that was like 50,000 baht. 

Wow.  I hope this is relatively uncommon.