What happens when a British National dies?

TCH111

3 hours ago, TCH111 said:

Yes thanks for that.  Obviously I'm looking for advice not sarcasm. ????

Then try giving more information - and perhaps the reason for your request.

The police should be advised within 24 hours of death of an alien.

There is no legal requirement to advise the British embassy - they will need to give approval for the removal of the body if death occurred in a hospital.

I do not have extensive experience but I can tell you that every person is as different in death as they were in life. What happens depends on how much you are involved or want to be involved in what happens after someone dies here in Thailand. Things can be simple or very complicated. Consular help is limited so be aware of that. I realise that probably does not help you much but if there is something specific you would like to ask then please feel free to send me a message.

I have made a Thai will and in it nominated a Thai (who is not a blood relative) to make all arrangements for my funeral. Interestingly, the UK Gov document Nancy posted a link to is not explicitly clear on whether this will be accepted by them as authority for him to do so.

I have emailed the embassy and asked them. Thanks for raising the subject.

Advisable that the British Embassy is informed

If you are receiving a government pension someone will need to inform the UK international pensions office.

If you have health insurance they will need to be notified.

Anywhere from where you receive income will need to know.

It's also worth noting that in most instances copies of death certificates are not acceptable. 

I have experience in this; as it was a suicide this experience might be limited as to which procedures apply.

We called the consular section and informed the police.
Consular section will ask your telephone number and as many details they can get on the person,

they ask if you have the passport in hand, if you know any next of kin overseas or local, this was the case.
Then they call you back.

Once police is there they will also talk by phone to the police.
A coroner came. He provided documents.

The body was released to the local hospital first, then to a hospital that could keep the body longer.

In this case next of kin was informed, there was (travel) insurance that covered the case

(depends highly on the insurance policy and on the flexibility of the insurer in case of suicide)

and as the next of kin claimed the body, it was repatriated.

I don't know what happens if the body is not claimed, locally cremated I suppose.

Assuming you have made a Will covering all your assets in Thailand and specified who you want to be executor of your estate plus included ( on a separate sheet if necessary ) whom to be notified of your death and stated what happens to your body ie cremation then should be no problems getting probate from the court.    If you have income derived outside Thailand ie UK government pension and especially private pension /trusts etc then you must get an English Death Certificate as specified by the British Embassy .This is the only death certificate accepted by UK institutions !!   If you have assets in another country outside Thailand then you should have a Will made in that country , possible stating that those assets to be sold on your death and the proceeds sent to your Executor in Thailand for inclusions in the Thai Estate .       

I have been told that my father has died. But I cant find out where he is.  Or what has happened to him. I feel there should be a record of it. I know where he was but not where he has gone to?

Funeral at a temple is damn sight cheaper than Uk . Starts at around 3500£ in UK, that’s without sending body back ! Someone tell me the price of a burning at a temple in Thailand .. 5000 baht or less ?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

8 hours ago, peterb17 said:

Try using Google . 

I was advised to try this forum. I generally help people if I can, and thats all I ask. Sorry if this has upset the apple cart.  Just trying to gain some knowledge on the subject and find out what has  happened to a family member.  

I was advised to try this forum. I generally help people if I can, and thats all I ask. Sorry if this has upset the apple cart.  Just trying to gain some knowledge on the subject and find out what has  happened to a family member.  

My condolences and I wish you succeed in finding your father.

Hopefully you have got some advice which will be useful to you.

As for the trolls with a poor sense of humour ?, unfortunately on this forum there are a lot of people who think they are extremely funny, whatever the subject matter !!

6 hours ago, TCH111 said:

I think that if you stated in the first post, the circumstances for the post, some of us including myself, would Not have posted smartarsed unnecessary (in the circumstances) comments.

Please accept my apologies for being insensitive.

I hope you find out what happened.

11 hours ago, jaiyen said:

When I die I will be cremated in the village and my wife will get all my money and she will not tell British Pension Office and the pension will continue to be paid !!

I regularly get a proof of life requirement letter from England. If you want your pension to continue you must educate your wife in how to forge your signature and cultivate the necessary local administrator so that proof of life is verified without you being present.

6 hours ago, TCH111 said:

Thank you Andrew Dwyer 

Normally there are the British Consulate where you register the death and the local police to get the police report. I seem to remember you have to take the death certificate to get the police report. Of course police and hospital could be quite location specific, so British consulate would be the first place to do any checks.

Maybe you could do checks at any address you had for the person.

7 hours ago, TCH111 said:

Thank you Andrew Dwyer 

If you are overseas trying to locate your father's remains and, as you say, know where he was before he died, then I suggest you first contact the British Embassy in Bangkok to see if they have been notified of his death. The second port of call might be the Royal Thai Tourist Police, . The tourist police will have reasonably good English speakers, but you may still run into language problems there unless you have a Thai speaker to help you. Next, you could try the local municipality and hospitals where your father was last domiciled, but for that you will certainly need a Thai speaker. 

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 1:35 AM, TCH111 said:

Can any one tell me what happens when a British National dies Please. 

I can inform you of this situation.

My mate died here in his room, I was called by a friend to see the police there. I had to identify the body. The police took all my details and asked for authorization from a family member to take care of the situation. I contacted the family, and they asked me to take care here for my mate. Contacted the funeral home, and they said 40,000 baht, that included payment to all departments, british embassy, autopsy, police Etc. The police contacted the embassy, and said I was going to fix all. Embassy contacted me right up to the date of the cremation. I conducted the funeral at Soi 10 Pattaya. picked up ashes 3 hours later, and laid him to rest about 4 days later. Sent all information, passport, photos, death cert. and belongings to family

Archived