What happens when a British National dies?

TCH111

21 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

The embassy must be informed, and the Tourist Police. You also need the death certificate from a hospital/doctor which can be translated by the Tourist Police. 

Actually it is the RTP and not the Tourist police that have to be informed.

6 hours ago, John1012 said:

I regularly get a proof of life requirement letter from England. If you want your pension to continue you must educate your wife in how to forge your signature and cultivate the necessary local administrator so that proof of life is verified without you being present.

Never had one in six years.

16 hours ago, allanpatty said:

Funeral at a temple is damn sight cheaper than Uk . Starts at around 3500£ in UK, that’s without sending body back ! Someone tell me the price of a burning at a temple in Thailand .. 5000 baht or less ?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Unfortunately the cremation is the cheapest part.

It depends on how many monks are involved, how many days/nights the body is on show for.

The deceased's family are usually responsible for food and drink for however many people come to mourn you. You are also responsible for providing the gifts that are given out just after the cremation.

Last month I went to my wife's nephews cremation down in Bang Bo in Samut Prakarn. He was 14 and was killed in a motorbike accident.

That was held over 5 days and nights with 8 monks chanting daily and an average of 200 to 250 friends and relatives per day.

My wife and a neighbour were involved in cooking for them all 2 or 3 times a day. My BIL, SIL and their son were there daily. My son was there 3 of the days and I went for one evening and the cremation day.

The only bright light is the white envelopes which guests put money in to help with the cost.

From what I saw I figure that the cost was IRO 150 to 200,000 baht.

Think how much just those small plastic cups are and then figure how much ice is used to cool them for 200 or so people each drinking 3 or 4 or even more a day as it was very hot.

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

It depends on how many monks are involved, how many days/nights the body is on show for.

The deceased's family are usually responsible for food and drink for however many people come to mourn you. You are also responsible for providing the gifts that are given out just after the cremation.

Last month I went to my wife's nephews cremation down in Bang Bo in Samut Prakarn. He was 14 and was killed in a motorbike accident.

That was held over 5 days and nights with 8 monks chanting daily and an average of 200 to 250 friends and relatives per day.

My wife and a neighbour were involved in cooking for them all 2 or 3 times a day. My BIL, SIL and their son were there daily. My son was there 3 of the days and I went for one evening and the cremation day.

The only bright light is the white envelopes which guests put money in to help with the cost.

Think how much just those small plastic cups are and then figure how much ice is used to cool them for 200 or so people each drinking 3 or 4 or even more a day as it was very hot.

My apologies. It should have read

Think how much just those small plastic cups of water are.

21 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

I think that if you stated in the first post, the circumstances for the post, some of us including myself, would Not have posted smartarsed unnecessary (in the circumstances) comments.

Please accept my apologies for being insensitive.

I hope you find out what happened.

Thank you for your reply. I don't think will discover what has happened to him, tried the Embassy and there seems to be a lost report from the police and so sign of him going to a hospital. I thank you all for advice and help. And apologies for being naive.  

To the OP, I'm sorry for your loss. May I ask who told you your father died? Did some stranger just call out of the blue and tell you that? Where (what city) was your father living most recently? Where are you now? And did the person who informed you of your father's death not disclose any other details to you? Seems like a cruel way to tell someone their father died. 

There is a thread on Thai visa about a person you helped a Thai wife or girlfriend when her husband or boyfriend died. This was a

US citizen.

The OP posted the process of what had to be prepared to help others to prepare. I think if search death instructions of forum

search it comes up. 

Recently a friend died i actually found him

If you father did not have a Thai will

You will have to use a lawyer to get A Power Of Attorney

As will in other countries not accepted here

Plus you will have to advise Immigration too

Because they will have to cancel his Visa here

It can be hard her if no one can help

I was lucky with my freind

I was able to access his phone

Ring his girlferind

Then as for his sons name as he lived in Thailand

Then the police asked me to advise his son

It was a couple of hours but was interesting

They even took copy op my passport and visa

We do not know about all these things until death happens here

So is all that Compulsory? If you are a foreigner and dont have money for daily chants and certainly no one to visit over 5 days why pay that much ? If you don’t have the money and you can’t just have cremation then it’s just another Rip off in LOS!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, allanpatty said:

So is all that Compulsory? If you are a foreigner and dont have money for daily chants and certainly no one to visit over 5 days why pay that much ? If you don’t have the money and you can’t just have cremation then it’s just another Rip off in LOS!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It is not a rip off at all. It is down to your wife how much she spends and how much face she wants,

Nothing is compulsory as it depends on your Thai wife and how much face she wants to make.

I have told my wife that when I die I want the cheapest cremation available as I would rather any money raised went to my wife and son rather than on me.

I will be dead and have no interest in what happens to my body.

On 5/1/2019 at 5:45 AM, jaiyen said:

When I die I will be cremated in the village and my wife will get all my money and she will not tell British Pension Office and the pension will continue to be paid !!

Just prop up a mannequin in the window so it looks like your still around.

On 5/2/2019 at 7:50 PM, MiNombreEsFicticious said:

To the OP, I'm sorry for your loss. May I ask who told you your father died? Did some stranger just call out of the blue and tell you that? Where (what city) was your father living most recently? Where are you now? And did the person who informed you of your father's death not disclose any other details to you? Seems like a cruel way to tell someone their father died. 

My cousin received a call from an English man, he knew my dad, not friends from what I gather and married to my fathers x wife's friend. A story of how was found is different to that of what the consulate has said, apparently the police report was lost but I am told police were called. Nothing is making sense. It is cruel. Dad was in Chiang Mai, Hang pong . The details given, did not match the unfiled police report. My fathers personal belongings missing too. I have been advised this can happen. 

On 5/2/2019 at 2:06 PM, wgdanson said:

Never had one in six years.

Might be age driven, possibly 70+....not sure when I first got a letter...certainly not when I first started claiming pension...did not think about it before as countries like Belgium send my friend a letter every year..

Archived