Woman dies, girl injured in Krabi collision

webfact

2 hours ago, Enoon said:

The CCTV footage shows, at 0.34/35, a fraction before the other motorcycle passes her, the rider looking over her shoulder.

Exactly, she did look but got her timing wrong perhaps because of the other motorcycle and the fast approach of the pickup. But she did look!

5 hours ago, Aforek said:

I don't think;  as a scooter driver myself, I see it almost every day, scooter drivers who don't look around them , they think they are alone ! empty brain, is it special to Thailand ? 

"empty brain, is it special to Thailand ?"

No it's not, how could it be when similar accidents happen in your country also? 

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

Tragic, a young life lost due to lack of awareness on the road.

Young girl seriously injured, i hope you soon recovers and has no lasting injuries.

Pickup driver did nothing wrong, and must be going through hell knowing that the young woman is dead.

My general observation is that many drivers simply drive too fast, and don’t give themselves any chance against someone who just drives out like that. I drive fairly slowly now (I didn’t used to) and I have a much better chance of avoiding that type of impact. 

2 hours ago, shady86 said:

The dead deserved it. Cutting lanes without looking at the back. Motorbikes here always ride as if the whole road belongs to them. 

Every day in this world people lose a bit of concentration or focus, but most of us get away with it ... no one deserves to die for making an error of judgement. 

My general observation is that many drivers simply drive too fast, and don’t give themselves any chance against someone who just drives out like that. I drive fairly slowly now (I didn’t used to) and I have a much better chance of avoiding that type of impact. 
Driving fast is something they can be proud of since everything else move really slow. They would risk everything to reach the destination 30 secs ealier by burning more fuel which indirectly contributes to the economy!

6 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

commonsense is lacking. It's so difficult to comprehend how anyone wouldn't instill such basic safety knowledge through out there generations or even just amoung there immediate family and friends. Is it just laziness? How hard is it to look over your shoulder? If you cant get off the road and don't be so dam selfish. 

societal, cultural, educational; failure

but normal and they don't seem to learn from mistakes

sorry for spoiling the party....

in my view

I cant see the car reducing  speed - the motorbike does accelerate very slowly, so there was a"long" time til it reached second lane. But no sign of braking from the car.

Driving in Thailand, I expect everything could happen, especially if I see someone waiting for crossing  the road. Like in this case.

"Tunnel" view is, what I expect the driver of the car has (or even dreaming, calling or looking somewhere else)

Having the "right of way" means nothing in Thailand.But most drivers with cars using the main roads do drive, as nothing could blockade  their way.  In reality, driving just 2 kilometres means you have to avoid an accident, cause someone else is driving like an idiot and does not care that you have"the right of way".

Driving on a road like the one in this case, means you must look all the time , what could happen within the next some hundred meters. For this , you must realize especially the  traffic (pedestrians, motorbikes, cars, lorries ) at both sides of the roads. If I would not do this, I would have been dead long time ago. Or did someone really drive in Thailand expecting every driver of a truck would respect your "right of way" ? Especially  truck and bus drivers expect you to use your brakes when they cross the main road. And if you are not respecting that , your chances to survive even one day would be low in Thailand.

Something happened today on the local roads which provided us with some level of comfort that we don’t usually experience. I was pillion on my wife’s motorbike and as we travelled towards our destination, for which I was doing my usual backseat driving, noticed a nondescript bike ready to pull a u-turn some distance ahead on our side from a standing position at the side of the road which also had a pillion passenger aboard.

I informed the wife to proceed with caution as couldn’t be sure of his motives at such a distance.

As we neared the bike I could see two male children without helmets, of course, ready to execute the aforementioned manoeuvre.

Jesus, Mary and Joseph, the boy rider was actually looking back and in front the whole time and we passed them without stress or incident. Christ on a bike this never happens and hope the boy rider has a long and prosperous life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw it on the TV. Appalling stupidity. And, I see it almost every day on the roads. If they have so little care for themselves AND the care of passengers...………………….it beggars belief.  Yes, GET a dash-cam. That way you can re-live the moments were some would-be assassin in a pick-up, wants you to meet Buddha.

22 hours ago, Aforek said:

I don't think;  as a scooter driver myself, I see it almost every day, scooter drivers who don't look around them , they think they are alone ! empty brain, is it special to Thailand ? 

Thais have their own interpretation on the traffic rules.

Everything that is in my view area (in front of me), I need to take care off.
Everything that is NOT in my view area (in back of me), the drivers in back of me need to take care off.

Thus, the woman on the bike did nothing wrong as the car hit her coming from the back.

Strange but true

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 5:26 PM, Just Weird said:

"empty brain, is it special to Thailand ?"

No it's not, how could it be when similar accidents happen in your country also? 

There is nothing similar to Thailand in any other country in this world. Nothing. Thailand is number 1.  Must be a special reason...

On 5/1/2019 at 12:28 PM, RotBenz8888 said:

Just as you say, they behave as they were alone on the roads

That's exactly it! Also the way they go to the far left lane to make a right turn is the standard method here. It's incredible really. RIP. 

On 5/1/2019 at 1:30 PM, Topdoc said:

The speed limit is only 80kmh on this section of the road:

Phet Kasem Rd, Krabi (google street view)

Of course the motorbike rider should have waited but it looks like there was also no attempt to avoid collision by the pickup who seems to be going at a fair clip AND driving in the fast lane which is officially only supposed to be used to overtake or make a U-turn.

I agree maybe if he had been driving in the left lane she would have seen him.

On 5/1/2019 at 5:22 PM, Topdoc said:

Exactly, she did look but got her timing wrong perhaps because of the other motorcycle and the fast approach of the pickup. But she did look!

If he had been in the left lane maybe she would have seen him.

10 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

If he had been in the left lane maybe she would have seen him.

Doesn't matter how you dress it up the motorcyclist was in the wrong there, Brian.

Quite disturbing to see mangoes and limbs flying about in front of the dashcam and poor pickup driver.

Archived