Outdoor TV antenna removed.

james.d

Mods - if their is a recent thread here that i couldn't find via google, please add the link and close this one if you want. Thank you.

I have just had my old outdoor TV antenna removed as it was going to pull down the wooden roof facade. Sadly their are no flat areas on my roof and the guy who removed the old antenna cut the coax cable flush to the eaves.

So in order to watch Thai free digital TV (channel 3, 5 etc) do l need to put up a new outdoor antenna or can an indoor antenna suffice with good quality? We only watch TV downstairs in the sitting room. If I can get away with an indoor antenna, any neat small recommendations?

Many thanks.

52 minutes ago, james.d said:

do l need to put up a new outdoor antenna or can an indoor antenna suffice with good quality

That depends heavily on your location(?) and distance to transmission tower.

DVB-T coverage is far from complete for the whole country.

In our (remote) area I am not aware of a single DVB-T user.

All satellite dish.

13 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

That depends heavily on your location(?) and distance to transmission tower.

DVB-T coverage is far from complete for the whole country.

In our (remote) area I am not aware of a single DVB-T user.

All satellite dish.

Thank you, l am east of Don Maung. I will try to find out which tower I was using before.

Thanks again.

Don Mueang, Bangkok.

Without checking but Bangkok is likely covered well enough for an indoor antenna.

You might need to experiment with the best location for the antenna (extension cable).

To find your nearest transmitter you can use this.

https:/dtvservicearea.nbtc.go.th/webpeople/

It will tell you the distance and compass bearing to point your antenna...the one thing it doesn't tell you is the size of antenna required...which depends upon distance and transmitter power...so if you are more than a couple of kilometres from the transmitter....then a large (longer than a meter) outdoor antenna would be recommended.

30 minutes ago, johng said:

To find your nearest transmitter you can use this.

https:/dtvservicearea.nbtc.go.th/webpeople/

It will tell you the distance and compass bearing to point your antenna...the one thing it doesn't tell you is the size of antenna required...which depends upon distance and transmitter power...so if you are more than a couple of kilometres from the transmitter....then a large (longer than a meter) outdoor antenna would be recommended.

Thanks a lot Johng, its showing l am 18 kms away so l guess l will need a new rooftop antenna.

Much appreciated.

Screenshot_20190501-103231.png

Ok I see you're in Bangkok...that transmitter has a large power 1000 kilowatts if I remember correctly....so you may be able to use a smaller antenna if you have a clear line of sight to the transmitter (ie no building blocking the signal)
Another thing is you are near the airports, there maybe interference from the radar equipment...so yes best to go with a large (largest you can find) rooftop antenna.

Ok I see you're in Bangkok...that transmitter has a large power 1000 kilowatts if I remember correctly....so you may be able to use a smaller antenna if you have a clear line of sight to the transmitter (ie no building blocking the signal)
Another thing is you are near the airports, there maybe interference from the radar equipment...so yes best to go with a large (largest you can find) rooftop antenna.

9 minutes ago, johng said:

Cheers Johng, probably many high buildings in my line of sight so rooftop it is.

Thanks.

25 minutes ago, james.d said:

Cheers Johng, probably many high buildings in my line of sight so rooftop it is.

Thanks.

maybe, experiment.  got rid of my gf's satellite to cut expenses as she had one of the free government boxes.  we were in bangkapi at the time, with a 6th floor window into the alley facing a 16-storey building.  picked up one of the smaller antenna from the mall.  (one loop and 3 or 4 bars, maybe half meter length?)  installed under the AC unit inside the balcony for good reception.

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Don Mueang, Bangkok.

Without checking but Bangkok is likely covered well enough for an indoor antenna.

You might need to experiment with the best location for the antenna (extension cable).

I am here in Don Muang, and I need an outdoor antenna to receive all the channels in once. 

Iron in the walls and windows, and the difference in the transmitters make it hard for me to use an indoor.

With a indoor I can get channels, but then the missus is in drama for not having Mono29.

The channels are on 4 different mux frequencies.  With the indoor I only can get two of them.

Antenna need to be pointed south (jatujak/saphan kwai) so it will get the feeds from two transmitters (phatum and jj).

A little bit off,  3 5 7 works but no mono or workpoint (dad love that one). I ended up with a big antenna that coverst the spectrum 500-900mhz.

Smaller could work for you, as I my antenna is a little bit blocked by surrounding buildings. I don't want it higher as it then interferes with my other antenaes.

Rgds,

1 hour ago, johng said:

Very true.

Not only the radar, I don't have a problem with these so I am not sure on which band the radars are, but the airplanes.

I did had a antenna that has a noise overloading the signal every time a plane landed.  (small long yagi)

And a lot of chitchatter around the 130-144 and 500.  Which isn't always usefull for me as I am listening to signals on the 136.

With the right hi low pass filters and a nice antenna you can get a fine tv signal.

For Digital TV I am only using a big antenna and no filters, to receive anything thats get reflected on the antenna, which is wide band 300-900.

TV Signals are around 500- 800  (channel 26 36 40 44 and 48)

Rgds,

1 hour ago, james.d said:

Thanks.

Hi James,

Try aim it south by southwest.

A little twist horizontally to the right ('bout 5 degrees) and it could pickup all the channels, even in bad weather.

Check 7 and mono and thairath for coverage of all channels.

Rgds,

How do you get internet?  That might be a better option for receiving basic channels.  I have both sat (PSI) free channels and a True subscription service here in Latphao.  Tried a phone and almost no channels available with built in antenna.  Digital TV is fine when it works but does not have much range.

2 hours ago, johng said:

"All" the transmitters  frequencies etc etc

DVBt2 thai transmitters.PDF 449.31 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks for the update !  ???? 

The document that I have in my folder is 4 year older,

some information has changed since then I see.

2 hours ago, johng said:

Ha ha my memory is bad   Bangkok ( Baiyok tower ? )   100 Kilowatts 

Yes the main transmitter is on tower Bayoke 2, and 100Kw it is.

Your memory is not bad ????

3 hours ago, johng said:

Crystal Palace greater London  200 kilowatts 

( think that was 1000 kilowatts back in analogue days )

Depends on which unit of kilowatts they used, transmitter power (100kW at Bayoke 2) or ERP or EIRP.

EIRP is 1.64 * ERP and is the effective power sent out from the tower.

It's like the Wifi router, the more antennas the more power it effectively has.

The input to the antennas stays the same, and are limited by county regulation

and hardware limits in the router.

The transmitters in Bangkok had their own power rating;

Channel E5 (army5) from tower Sanam Pao 400 kW ERP

Channel E7 (Army7) from Sanam Pao 377 kW ERP

Channel E9 (MCOT-9) from Baiyoke Tower 2 400 kW ERP

Channel E11 (PRD-11) from tower at Huai Khwaeng 20kW  and Baiyoke Tower 468 kW ERP

Channel E29 (TPBS) from Baiyoke Tower 2 1000 kW ERP

Archived