Chiang Rai Immigration Office

frodo77

• 2 months later...

Unpleasant surprise this afternoon when the neighbour dropped by and asked me if I knew if the banks were open Thursday and Friday. I inquired why they would not be and he said that those days were now public holidays.

My 90 day report was due tomorrow so I hurried to the Immigration website and sure enough they're closed tomorrow and Friday.

I had 90 day report tomorrow so dropped everything and headed off to catch the office still open.

I know they give you a bit of leeway but I inadvertently overstayed a few years back and still have nightmares about it.

• Like 2

I'm going to be getting my very first 12 month extension based on marriage, in January. The Chiang Rai and Mae Sai offices are about the same distance away from us - is either one of them preferable to the other or does it not really matter ?

On 11/18/2020 at 5:23 PM, sceadugenga said:

Unpleasant surprise this afternoon when the neighbour dropped by and asked me if I knew if the banks were open Thursday and Friday. I inquired why they would not be and he said that those days were now public holidays.

My 90 day report was due tomorrow so I hurried to the Immigration website and sure enough they're closed tomorrow and Friday.

I had 90 day report tomorrow so dropped everything and headed off to catch the office still open.

I know they give you a bit of leeway but I inadvertently overstayed a few years back and still have nightmares about it.

If I remember Ubon Joe's post correctly, the 90 day can be done up to a fortnight before, with a grace period of 7 days after. But I can understand your trepidation.

I've found Chiang Rai to be a cakewalk compared to what I had to go through in Chiang Mai.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2020 at 3:03 PM, Tuvoc said:

I'm going to be getting my very first 12 month extension based on marriage, in January. The Chiang Rai and Mae Sai offices are about the same distance away from us - is either one of them preferable to the other or does it not really matter ?

I’m sure about marriage extensions but retirement extensions are not done everyday.  I believe that there are only 2 days during the week when extensions are done.  Mae Sai does extensions everyday of the week.  Even though the Chiang Rai immigration office is closer, I go to Mae Sai for my retirement extension.  They are very efficient and I’ve never had any problems

• Like 1

12 hours ago, statman78 said:

I’m sure about marriage extensions but retirement extensions are not done everyday.  I believe that there are only 2 days during the week when extensions are done.  Mae Sai does extensions everyday of the week.  Even though the Chiang Rai immigration office is closer, I go to Mae Sai for my retirement extension.  They are very efficient and I’ve never had any problems

Ah, probably go to Mae Sai then. I think that is probably easier as well, I know exactly where it is, right on the main highway. I've never seen the Chiang Rai one.

On 5/1/2019 at 4:51 PM, frodo77 said:

You are basing it just on your own experience. I have been speaking with several people and my comment is not based just on my own experience.

I've been dealing with CR immigration for 20+ years. It's not so long ago there was no immigration office in Chiang Rai city, it was Mae Sai or bust, so counter-intuitively you might consider the A Bor Jor office to be a satellite office of Mae Sai (actually I think that might really be the case but I don't know (or care)). About your post, while I have generally found immigration here to be a pleasure to deal with in comparison to other provinces (if you can ignore the fact that the permission to stay extension process is like peeling your own skin off), I've not been to the A Bor Jor office for a few years now after a particularly unpleasant experience. Maybe she was having a bad day, or on her period, but I swore I'd never go there again, and that's when I started doing my reporting by post, or online, just to avoid the place and the people. I always go to Mae Sai now for my annual extensions, just like I did back in the day before the CR City office existed. Bear in mind, you might go to one or the other office and be dealing with the same IOs (staff cover, training etc). Both offices equidistant for me in any case, so I couldn't care less. Wherever you go, one year they'll make you fill in the form in black ink, the next they'll make you fill it all in again in blue, because the rules, or the hormones, changed. Suck it up.

Edited by NilSS

• 2 months later...
18 hours ago, sceadugenga said:

A 90 second 90 day report?

Couldn't have been much longer, an officer headed me off at the door, took my passport and was back out with the business done before I could find somewhere to sit outside.

OK. I'm old and slow but it was still an amazing time.

Its been that way for a while now. Did mine last week. Was told I can renew my retirement extension 45 days in advance.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, Don Dunkelblum said:

Did my annual retirement extension. Arrived at 3pm. All done in 10 minutes. 

Yes mine would have been the same if the Officer from Mae Sai had been there. Had to wait for her to return from a break.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/27/2020 at 6:53 PM, Tuvoc said:

Ah, probably go to Mae Sai then. I think that is probably easier as well, I know exactly where it is, right on the main highway. I've never seen the Chiang Rai one.

Hey buddy what did you eventually do?

Like you I will living between Mae Sai and CR city and was sort planning to use the Mae Sai office. What did you do and how did you get on thanks.

On 9/16/2019 at 11:17 AM, villagefarang said:

It has always been my understanding that marriage could be done any day of the week because the paperwork has to be sent off to Bangkok

It wont go to Bangkok it will go the the regional office which if memory serves is Chiang Mai.

On 12/2/2019 at 5:11 PM, villagefarang said:

First thing I was told was to redo everything by hand because that is the new rule.

Been the rule in Phetchabun for a few years now and it must be done in blue ink.  Also they have their own version of the TM7 form, the downloaded one is not acceptable.

On 12/2/2019 at 5:11 PM, villagefarang said:

with all my forms printed out same as last year, from copies saved on my computer.  First thing I was told was to redo everything by hand because that is the new rule.

This has been the rule in Phetchabun for a couple of years now, not only by hand it must be in blue ink. Also they will not accept the downloaded version of the TM7, the have their own version which they will give you if you ask for it and are eligible for it e.g. renewal of extension of stay is due in couple of weeks. Also for retirement there is a pack of 4 additional forms to be completed, I believe it is only 3 for Marriage. There are also another 2 forms they complete and you have to sign (one of which is completely in Thai).

On 3/31/2021 at 5:30 PM, Don Dunkelblum said:

Did my annual retirement extension. Arrived at 3pm. All done in 10 minutes. 

Arrived at Phetchabun office 9:40, 1st in queue left with retirement extension at 11:20, 100 minutes and I provided exactly the same pack as last year, which wasn't good enough.