As I always do, I will provide the best advice I can on the assumption that your post is genuine. The first decision you need to make is where to go, and how to live when you get there. What is your nationality? Do you have close living family. How old are you? Do you have a current valid passport?

Once you decide where to go, and have a travel document:

• buy an air ticket to your final destination;
  • assuming you will clear immigration in Bangkok, fly domestic from Udon to Bangkok;
  • allow plenty of time (at least four hours) for immigration checks.

To research the cheapest flights, use SkyScanner. Do not risk bus or train to Bangkok. Most important, have a plan for your arrival wherever you are going.

EDIT: Do you still have the original passport for your entry into Thailand? If not, things may get tricky. I do not think information from 30 years ago is in immigration's computer, and it could take a long time to sort everything out.

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 2

I no have enough funds for an airplane ticket from Udon to Bangkok. My only concern is along the road by bus from Udon to Bangkok. I am France Nationality. My passport is expired many decades ago. Is this another problems for check in the plane?

• Like 1

Just now, ttkeric said:

Answering only because I currently live in Udon Thani.

Mate, if what you say is true then yes, your only concern is getting to the airport without getting caught during the journey. 

Bus, I've taken a few rides to Bangkok passing a few roadblocks but never had to stop for checks or anything. I often catch the 9.15pm Air Udon VIP bus.

If you can catch a plane out of Don Mueang, tell the driver to drop you off there since it's 'on the way'. Or you can still do that and catch the free shuttle to Swampy.

In the meantime....

Don't take rides around town on the daytime. Police are out in force for some reason and they really do check. Saturday, Sunday, Monday I had to produce my license but not my passport but you don't want to risk it. 

Hope you live somewhere convenient. UT is a small town, but still.

You're probably not young, so all the best. Hope you resettle back home well.

Normal walk with dog also will be a risk? Or just motorbike and car?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You will need a new passport or a emergency emergency from the French embassy to leave the country.

You can find info here for an emergency passport. https://th.ambafrance.org/Passeport-temporaire-d-urgence

It costs 45 euro.

I think you may need additional funds to leave the country than you apparently have now.

So now have to go French embassy for a new passport? 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Arthur1960 said:

So now have to go French embassy for a new passport? 

if your passport is no longer valid you need to get a 'laissez-passer'. you need a valid document to cross a border.
I see it in "tarif des actes' at the right hand side.
"Laissez-passer (1 voyage)
Tarif A : 30 € (Français inscrits au registre)
Tarif B : 55 € (autres)"

https://th.ambafrance.org/Le-laissez-passer

Better to call them.

Edited by orchis
  • Like 2

Riding a motorcycle is definitely a "no"! Driving should be all right and so is walking the dog. Just take care not to get into any untoward incidences. Yea, I'll say just lay low until it's time to head out. 

Since the others mentioned getting an emergency passport, you might also need to consider that you'll be spending a couple of days in Bangkok. 

Same caution applies: don't go out unnecessarily, don't invite trouble. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ttkeric said:

Riding a motorcycle is definitely a "no"! Driving should be all right and so is walking the dog. Just take care not to get into any untoward incidences. Yea, I'll say just lay low until it's time to head out. 

Since the others mentioned getting an emergency passport, you might also need to consider that you'll be spending a couple of days in Bangkok. 

Same caution applies: don't go out unnecessarily, don't invite trouble. 

might be worth mentioning that hotels will insist on seeing (and recording details of) a passport, before allowing you to stay -  plus booking a flight / bus ticket may also need you to show a passort for ID purposes (as i assume you don't have a driving licence........

• Like 1

I think you can safely say goodbye to Thailand, at least for 10 years. They are going biometric at all the points of entry, so a name change or a new passport would not work.

Good Luck Sir, make your exit plans and you should be fine.

31 minutes ago, properperson said:

might be worth mentioning that hotels will insist on seeing (and recording details of) a passport, before allowing you to stay -  

And the hotel is required to send the PP details to immigration 

6 hours ago, geronimo said:

I think you can safely say goodbye to Thailand, at least for 10 years. They are going biometric at all the points of entry, so a name change or a new passport would not work.

Good Luck Sir, make your exit plans and you should be fine.

As wrote before there are no reasons to stay or back here: so even a life-ban doesn't concern me.

• Like 1

As wrote the 20.000 thb for pay the overstay, the funds for purchase a bus ticket and for a plane back Paris are already in my wallet. After read all your posts now the problem is the passport and how to pay for a new one. Silly question: if i go at check with this passport, they will refuse me 100%?

Edited by Arthur1960

I think every hotel ask You about passport.  A lot not report to immigration but just for security themselves.  

Im not sure its good way, but what about to stay in... temple? Maybe monks let You spend couple days and give You food. I think no one ask You about passport there. 

But first call to embassy please.  And try to calm down. You have to be focus during all process. 

2 minutes ago, Arthur1960 said:

As wrote the 20.000 thb for pay the overstay, the funds for purchase a bus ticket and for a plane back Paris are already in my wallet. After read all your posts now the problem is the passport and how to pay for a new one. Silly question: if i go at check with this passport, they will refuse me 100%?

Pay direcitly by cash in embassy I bet 

Just now, Old Croc said:

100%.

It is no longer a travel document, hardly even a relevant ID, just an artifact.

When you apply for a new travel document I hope you can provide sufficient other id to satisfy the embassy of your citizenship. A 30+ year old passport may not be sufficient. Be prepared for a possible lengthy wait for them to confirm you are a citizen. The world has changed since you last ventured over a border, travel is no longer a simple thing.

I'm sorry, but I find your reason for overstaying for 29 years to be disingenuous.

There are no excuse for what i do: i just choose to assist my wife through her disease ( a rare bones disease) instead clear my situation. 29 years is a long time, i no expect anyone mercy, because i no deserve it.

• Like 2

Just now, RJRS1301 said:

Good luck.

condolences regarding your wife.

Stay safe. I hope you have family to assist on your return to France.

No..i just have a house and will be enough for me. Once there i will see what to do.

Just now, orchis said:

you have been given the right information about how to proceed already.

Sorry if more question makes you boring: i just try to find out any possible scenario. Please apologize if i hurt your feeling.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The concern is very much the extra expense and delay wrt obtaining a travel document. You need to factor this in. If you end up in the hands of the police, you will end up in detention.  I don't know how helpful the French Embassy will be.

Good luck.

Just now, jacko45k said:

The concern is very much the extra expense and delay wrt obtaining a travel document. You need to factor this in. If you end up in the hands of the police, you will end up in detention.  I don't know how helpful the French Embassy will be.

Good luck.

You right Jacko. I already wrote i able to reach Bkk ( can afford bus only), pay the overstay and pay the ticket. Was totally out of my mind the passport problem. 

2 minutes ago, Arthur1960 said:

You right Jacko. I already wrote i able to reach Bkk ( can afford bus only), pay the overstay and pay the ticket. Was totally out of my mind the passport problem. 

It may be that they Embassy will ask you to sign some commitment to 'pay them back' when you return to France. That is if they even know who you are after all those 29 years. I hope you still have the old passport! 

I can see no better plan than getting to the Embassy and starting there. 

• Like 1