Little girl will not see the first day of term: Killed on bike with mum in collision with Benz

webfact

5 hours ago, Rally123 said:

Says who? I don't see that quoted in the OP. All it is is a tragic accident that hasn't been yet fully investigated and the 'lynch party' are already calling for blood. For all we know the woman motorcyclist may be completely at fault. Usually the case here in Ting Tong land.

Thai Rath said that 72 year old businessman Sittisak Phimrasee, the car driver, was not looking where he was going and slammed into the mother and child sending them flying across a median strip. 

according to the OP, at least...

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, randy723 said:

from the looks of the damage to the car he was going VERY fast and over the speed limit

Could of been the combined speed of both vehicles.  The OP is scarce on facts so all we're left with is the usual guesswork.

5 hours ago, Rally123 said:

Says who? I don't see that quoted in the OP. All it is is a tragic accident that hasn't been yet fully investigated and the 'lynch party' are already calling for blood. For all we know the woman motorcyclist may be completely at fault. Usually the case here in Ting Tong land.

rally you can see from the damage that the man was going to fast and it shows he hit the bike in the middle of the car showing he was totally 100% at fault and this is coming from someone who was a policeman for 28 years and seen to many accident like this but in America the man would be in jail until this was investigated and I think the only ting tong person is some 0ne who looks like Marshall Mat Dillion

1 hour ago, mike787 said:

ARE YOU Kidding me!!! <deleted> is wrong with Thailand...this just happened yesterday...AGAIN???????  So the ones that are so convinced it's safe here still like riding your motorcycles. HUH????  Ok! Keep the rose colored glasses on! 

WHO stats: 32.7 accidents per 100,000 vehicles each year. 

Thus: Applying blind faith to the stats there is a 0.00327% chance of having an accident each year. 

Remove the idiots on motorcycles with a lack of self preservation and the stats significantly improve. 

Rose tinted glasses or not, the chances of us being involved in an accident while greater than our home countries are still extremely small - rose tinted glasses or not. 

The abundant news of these stats does not increase the risk, it simply increases our awareness of the risk and when we read news such as this influences our emotions and consider the risks disproportionately. 

Recently in the UK a lorry driver was jailed after hitting and killing a 4 year old on a pedestrian crossing. Risk is everywhere, significantly more so in Thailand, but when evaluated critically it's not as extreme as some would have us believe. 

RIP little child. I wonder if time has come for Dash-cams to become compulsory in Thailand, this would erase some of the BS excuses and permit genuine charges to be applied for dangerous driving. 

Thai Rath said that 72 year old businessman Sittisak Phimrasee, the car driver, was not looking where he was going and slammed into the mother and child sending them flying across a median strip.

He wasn't looking and two have lost their lives. And this guy is right now driving around without looking? Insanity at its best. 

27 minutes ago, randy723 said:

rally you can see from the damage that the man was going to fast and it shows he hit the bike in the middle of the car showing he was totally 100% at fault and this is coming from someone who was a policeman for 28 years and seen to many accident like this ...

With all due respect there's a bit more to RTA investigations than looking at a photo but you already know this. 

Well the average deads/day in traffic in Thailand is 66. Just red it not long ago.

All due to neglecting rules, laws. Did the two on bike wear helmets? Probably not.

Were any of them reading their messages on phone? Could be.

I saw the Thai movie, mother on motor with in front of her a very big bag, kid on that bag and then with speed reading her phone ! Of course no helmets.

Of course police doesnt do a thing about that , as Thai you can do so.

As Thai you can break any traffic law. Police doesnt bother, only if you are alien THEN they bother.

In former times maybe not that many traffic and everyone could do as they please, but it was getting busier on roads and the Thai still driving as in former ways. No police to correct them in Thai law.

I dont like police either and sure no fines, but sure im focussed on the road, no time for any other games.

If Thailand wants to get less accidents then then have a lot to do. 

Educating people, law enforcing and many many other things.

Sadly those two of 66 persons that day died in traffic. Who to blame? i dont know, its sad.

6 hours ago, Rally123 said:

I agree there should be videos of the accident and should be easy to see who was in the wrong

1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

I passed one yesterday, older boy holding the hand of a younger boy, his body was all twisted up and as i watched he started to convulse, the look on that boys face will stay with me a while, it was likely his little brother he was holding on to, meanwhile the driver of the car who hit just him stayed in his car.

Horrible to have to witness a boy in that state.  Was he knocked off a motorbike?  If so, I would like to think that his parents' had his best interests at heart and ensured that he was wearing a helmet that was strapped up.  Unfortunately, in the majority of instances, this is rarely the case, particularly with kids.

8 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

How about "Vehicular Manslaughter" with life in prison. No parole.

Taking your eyes off the road while still considered vehicular manslaughter. It doesn't warrant a life sentence in prison. Now if he was drunk, that would be another story.

vehicular manslaughter

vehicular manslaughter

n. the crime of causing the death of a human being due to illegal driving of an automobile, 

including gross negligence, drunk driving, reckless driving, or speeding. Vehicular manslaughter can be charged as a misdemeanor 

(minor crime with a maximum punishment of a year in county jail or only a fine) or a felony (punishable by a term in state prison) depending on the circumstances. Gross negligence or driving a few miles over the speed limit might be charged as a 

misdemeanor, but drunk driving resulting in a fatality is most likely treated as a felony. Death of a passenger, including a 

loved one or friend, can be vehicular manslaughter if due to illegal driving

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thus: Applying blind faith to the stats there is a 0.00327% chance of having an accident each year. 

Remove the idiots on motorcycles with a lack of self preservation and the stats significantly improve. 

Rose tinted glasses or not, the chances of us being involved in an accident while greater than our home countries are still extremely small - rose tinted glasses or not. 

The abundant news of these stats does not increase the risk, it simply increases our awareness of the risk and when we read news such as this influences our emotions and consider the risks disproportionately. 

Recently in the UK a lorry driver was jailed after hitting and killing a 4 year old on a pedestrian crossing. Risk is everywhere, significantly more so in Thailand, but when evaluated critically it's not as extreme as some would have us believe. 

RIP little child. I wonder if time has come for Dash-cams to become compulsory in Thailand, this would erase some of the BS excuses and permit genuine charges to be applied for dangerous driving. 

Yeah, about 20 times more likely, and its hardly an extremely small risk anywhere, do you know anyone who has never been in some sort if road accident?  I've been in eight.

8 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Throw the book at him then for causing death through driving without due care and attention. Its about time that a very public example is set after accidents such as this. Too many of these idiots just walk away from incidents like this as if nothing as happened.  

Ending with a negotiation about the usual one time payment with their Family and a wai - case closed ...

RIP

8 hours ago, Rally123 said:

the third paragraph in the OP said;

"Thai Rath said that 72 year old businessman Sittisak Phimrasee, the car driver, was not looking where he was going and slammed into the mother and child sending them flying across a median strip."

Did you miss that bit or not bother to read the post at all?

Is it possible to report a headline for being unnecessarily inflammatory?

A sad traffic accident remains a sad traffic accident, but a little girl killed by a rich man's evil benz? ah come on

2 minutes ago, manarak said:

Is it possible to report a headline for being unnecessarily inflammatory?

A sad traffic accident remains a sad traffic accident, but a little girl killed by a rich man's evil benz? ah come on

From the forum rules:

Except as otherwise indicated in the byline, news bulletins are reprinted verbatim from a mass media source which has given TV permission to use its feed. 
Original articles, especially in the Thai press, often have grammatical mistakes or misspellings. ThaiVisa is not responsible for these nor does ThaiVisa have the rights to alter content it is reprinting from another source. Similarly, ThaiVisa is not responsible for any opinions reflected  or quoted in reprinted news stories.

5 minutes ago, billd766 said:

"Thai Rath said that 72 year old businessman Sittisak Phimrasee, the car driver, was not looking where he was going and slammed into the mother and child sending them flying across a median strip."

Thai Rath say a lot of things but what's their source of this information?  They haven't clarified so rather vague if you ask me.

9 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

How about "Vehicular Manslaughter" with life in prison. No parole.

The guy has a Benz.  You don't charge people who own Benzs unless you have no other choice.  "Little people" and foreigners would already be charged.  

10 hours ago, Rally123 said:

Not to speak ill of the dead, but this could be the case. She could have been going the wrong way down the road.

No doubt grandpa had a camera in his Benz.  Let's review the video and see what really happened before we string anyone up.

Did they wear a helmet no would be the answer as you see it everyday everywhere in Thailand.who was at fault and who may have used they phone at the time.it was bound to happen and it will again,I imagine the car driver will cop everything for what happened and the family will ask for lots of money.it was your fault not my dead wife or child now.

I have seen in cm mother child or kids on bike no helmets many times.i thought if you ever hit them you are in big trouble.it was bound to happen somewhere

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Strengthening Road Safety in Thailand

Thailand has the second highest road traffic fatality rate in the world at 36.2 per 100 000 with an annual estimate of over 24 000 deaths or 66 deaths every day. While globally 49% of road traffic deaths are among vulnerable road users (pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists), it is 83% in Thailand including 73% among motorcyclists or 48 per day. Additionally Thailand loses 3 to 5 % of its GDP due to road traffic crashes. 

http://www.searo.who.int/thailand/areas/roadsafety/en/

http://www.samuitimes.com/thailand-worlds-deadliest-country-motorcyclists/

“Of those perishing in Thai road accidents, 74 per cent are motorcycle or tricycle users,” Daniel Kertesz, WHO representative to Thailand, said yesterday.http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30360862

Statistics are unemotional.  They do not care what you/I/we think or know, only represent Facts. 

You said: "Remove the idiots on motorcycles with a lack of self preservation and the stats significantly improve".  Very true. However, based on mathematics, that is NOT the reality in Thailand.  But it could be... 

rs1.png

12 hours ago, bluesofa said:

... They are honestly baffled when I tell them I'm concentrating only the road.

Here in the USA, as a passenger, I'll discover new buildings and businesses that I never noticed while driving.  I rarely listen to the radio as it's distracting.

Archived