Kitchen taps

monsieurhappy

I have lived in my house since Jan. 2003.

It was new when we moved in so everything inside was unused!

I didn't take much notice when the kitchen tap started to leak, my wife pointed it out that there was a fine spray coming from the side of the spout! The tap is both hot and cold BTW.

I bought a new tap and fitted it.

I don't remember how long, probably 3 or 4 years when suddenly one day the end of the spout fell off and landed in the sink!

Again I had to buy a new one and fitted it, the date, which I then took notice of was 29 Nov. 2013.

Almost 3 years down the line and again a spray of water from the side of the spout! The date 18 Dec. 2016.

Now this is getting ridiculous! Not only am I fed up buying new taps ( they are NOT cheap ) but I'm getting too old to keep on getting under the kitchen sink to fit new ones and who in their right mind would trust a local plumber to do the job!!

I began to realise that the problem was the metal these taps are made from, white metal which is generally soft and most likely porous!

So I went in search of a better quality tap!

I asked if they were made of brass or stainless steal to which I always got an affirmative answer!

Eventually I paid 2500baht ( 50 quid back then ) for a tap I was assured was brass under the chrome plating!

To cut a long story short the chromium plating in a few spots has eroded and Hey Presto water is coming out of minute holes in the spout of the tap!

I won't mention the name of the maker ( PM me if you need to know ) but can someone, maybe a plumber, try to explain to me where I can buy a H&C kitchen tap that will last for many more years than the last 4?

Sorry for the length of this post, it shows my frustration!

IMG_2426.JPG

IMG_2429.JPG

Get some stainless steel....you can find them at all the big hardware shops...but they will be 5000 ++ baht.

Take a magnet if it doesn't stick to the tap that indicates a low iron content so less likely hood of corrosion.

On 5/2/2019 at 11:05 AM, Swiss1960 said:

What does your wife use for cleaning the tabs? Never happened to me and I also don't have stainless tabs

Sent from my SM-A730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Agreed - I have the same looking tap bought from HomePro about 9 years ago. No corrosion but the OPs is a lot shinier.........

Archived