Is it possible to move address to get a residence certificate?

My wife and I lived in Chiang Mai last year, but have since moved to Bangkok. We have Thai temporary, 2-year driving licenses which will run out in June 2019 and need to apply for the 5-year license. To get this, we need to have a residence certificate, which we would normally get at Chaengwattana. The problem is that Immigration in Bangkok will only make a residence certificate if you have done a 90-day report in Bangkok. As both of us are out of the country roughly every 45 days on average, we've never had to do a 90-day report, so were told by Immigration today that they couldn't help us with the certificate. 

I'm a Danish citizen, so have the option of paying the Danish consulate in Bangkok to print the residence certificate for me. OK, it costs me around 5.000 baht and not the 200 that Chaengwattana wants, but if the option is no driving license, there's not much I can do about it. My wife on the other hand, is Estonian, so the nearest consulates are either Beijing or New Delhi, neither of which will or can provide the document. 

We had no problem last year in Chiang Mai, getting the certificate, paying the "service fee" of 500 baht and getting the document the next day. Is it possible to register with an address in Chiang Mai (or frankly any other location), getting a TM30 etc, applying for a residence certificate and then extending the license? Will we be able to use e.g. a residence certificate issued in Chiang Mai, to extend a license in Bangkok, or will she have to do this in Chiang Mai as well? It's a slightly absurd situation but hope someone can cast some light on it. I should point out that we're both on non-O 12 month extension of stay if that makes any difference. 

That's good if you own the property, which isn't the case here. Do you know if we can get a residence certificate with the BKK address confirmed by the Chiang Mai immigration office, or would they only do it for a CM address? 

If you have a rental lease, take it to your local friendly police station,

For 1000 baht each they will give you all the necessary paperwork, it takes about 15 minutes, but that depends on the typing skills of the officer 

As an Estonian myself, I know there is a Estonian Honorary Consulate General in Bangkok and maybe they can help your wife. Google the location.

I have previously talked with Estonian Honorary Consul in Phuket, she was very friendly and helpful