PCEC given an update on new Thai Immigration long stay extension rules

Rimmer

PCEC given an update on new Thai Immigration long stay extension rules

image.png

PATTAYA:--The Pattaya City Expats Club (PCEC) welcomed back Darren McGarry, a British expat who manages Key Visa Co.

Thailand, for round number 2 of his talk about the new visa (long stay extensions) rules that went into effect in the first quarter of 2019. During his previous presentation in January 2019, he advised that things were in flux and there were more rumors abounding than facts regarding requirements for Expats who could no longer obtain monthly income certifications for Thai Immigration. Also, since his January presentation, Thai Immigration issued new rules, effective March 1, 2019. These rules concerned changing the financial requirements for those extending their stay based on using a specified amount on deposit in a Thai bank (retirement and related to a Thai).

Darren, with many notes in hand, marched to the podium armed with those and reliance on his 15 years of experience dealing with Thai Immigration matters. His information was well received and almost everybody gleaned some new and vital insight into what the new rules require and how to meet them.

Read more: https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/pcec-given-an-update-on-new-thai-immigration-long-stay-extension-rules-253689

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2019-05-02--

... he advised that things were in flux ... 

Really? So, just normal then, as they can't make the goal posts last more than a few months because some jobsworth changes it to justify their job existence, as being a current up-to-date fascist is the done thing. Lol!

Jomtien immigration have never asked me "what do you live on?". I bring in cash every year upon returning from my annual home country visit, usually less than USD$20,000 so it doesn't have to be declared at customs. I own a condo, and my monthly expenses are about 30,000 baht a month. I use the 800K in the bank method to qualify for a retirement visa. How can a guy like me provide proof on what I live on in Thailand?

It seems foreigners are guilty of working in Thailand, without any evidence proving they are working, just because an immigration officer decides he is working. Maybe this is just another way of steering more retired person to visa agents and getting fatter brown envelopes.

3 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Just use an agent and ignore so called experts...and avoid queues,  paperwork etc. End of..

Well actually this 'expert' is an agent who will do just that. 

13 hours ago, Rimmer said:

These rules concerned changing the financial requirements for those extending their stay based on using a specified amount on deposit in a Thai bank (retirement and related to a Thai).

Was that supposed to refer to an extension based on marriage?

Have I missed something about marriage?

I was under the impression nothing has changed yet financially regarding an extension based on marriage?

All I can see is that later on the article goes on to say, "He also mentioned the validity of extensions based on marriage and business. They are good until they no longer apply…you get divorced or stop working."

I've known Darren for many years.  He is a good guy and runs a tight ship.  His work over the years advising and counselling at ex-pats meetings is invaluable.  Spare a thought for him as his/my team looks like it will not qualify for Champions League football next season.

Never the slightest problem with Ret. Extension. Have your paperwork in order and don't show up like a clochard. The young man preparing the file for you is super friendly and efficient. Respect how he handles even rude, unprepared and smelly grumpy Falangs. Jomtien is fast, professional, friendly and can only be commanded for their good services, dealing with some really weird people often. MS>

Banana7 -

Jomtien immigration have never asked me "what do you live on?"

What he said:

He also said to be prepared to answer the additional question of ‘what do you live on?’ if you are one of those that keep this amount continually on deposit and the account shows no activity.

He didn't say you would be asked, but be prepared to do so if your 800k account shows no activity.  Since the new rules came into being, the process at Jomtien Immigration may or may not be the same.

Bluesofa -

Was that supposed to refer to an extension based on marriage?

What he said:

These rules concerned changing the financial requirements for those extending their stay based on using a specified amount on deposit in a Thai bank

The notation "(retirement and related to a Thai)"  appears to have been a clarifying comment regarding who the new rules applied to -- if you read the Immigration rules, the section that covers marriage to a Thai also covers other relationships to a Thai.

marcusarelus -

He didn't know about Denmark?

What he said:

However, several major embassies no longer will issue such letters beginning the first of this year; these are the embassies for the USA, Britain, Australia and Denmark.

He apparently did know about Denmark.

The article is a summary of his talk at a meeting, not a verbatim report on all that was said.

Not allowing rental income and only pension income is a severe new body blow! For 15 years I have let a house (currently £1100pcm and never empty). I have been bringing in 65k pcm since January thinking this was adequate. Now I'm faced with having to deposit (to be safe because of exchange rates) around 500.000 baht. I really didn't want to have to do that and don't want to sell my car. This stipulation will increase the exodus for sure. Wish Lao had a retirement visa. 

1 minute ago, Lemonltr said:

Not allowing rental income and only pension income

Who says? How will they know? The only thing that's certain is that 65K has to be deposited from abroad each and every month. The bank don't know its source

12 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Jomtien immigration have never asked me "what do you live on?". I bring in cash every year upon returning from my annual home country visit, usually less than USD$20,000 so it doesn't have to be declared at customs. I own a condo, and my monthly expenses are about 30,000 baht a month. I use the 800K in the bank method to qualify for a retirement visa. How can a guy like me provide proof on what I live on in Thailand?

It seems foreigners are guilty of working in Thailand, without any evidence proving they are working, just because an immigration officer decides he is working. Maybe this is just another way of steering more retired person to visa agents and getting fatter brown envelopes.

been here ten yrs NEVER been asked "what do I live on"

4 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Who says? How will they know? The only thing that's certain is that 65K has to be deposited from abroad each and every month. The bank don't know its source

If you read the full article in the Pattaya Mail link you will see that Darren McGarry states that the Immigration office will Not accept rental income as its not guaranteed. I assume that this might apply to other sources of income too. 

7 minutes ago, Lemonltr said:

If you read the full article in the Pattaya Mail link you will see that Darren McGarry states that the Immigration office will Not accept rental income as its not guaranteed. I assume that this might apply to other sources of income too. 

Darren said that you are likely to have to provide proof of the source of your income. 

4 minutes ago, Lemonltr said:

Darren said that you are likely to have to provide proof of the source of your income. 

So it's a guess then? The banks can't prove the type of income that's sent to them by international transfer

37 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

So it's a guess then? The banks can't prove the type of income that's sent to them by international transfer

No. But I assume that they mean written proof from your own country such as an annual pension statement (UK) etc similar to what I used to supply to my Embassy. 

6 minutes ago, Lemonltr said:

No. But I assume that they mean written proof from your own country such as an annual pension statement (UK) etc similar to what I used to supply to my Embassy. 

And that's the problem isn't it - all assumptions, guesses and assertions based on nothing but FUD

11 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

And that's the problem isn't it - all assumptions, guesses and assertions based on nothing but FUD

Maybe ThaiBunny. But Darren clearly said that and my assumption is the most logical as its the only way to prove. The danger is that we might not know for sure till we arrive with application in hand. 

6 hours ago, essox essox said:

but HOW long WILL agents be in existance???

NO ONE KNOWS....

As long as there is a market for their services. They are certainly still around today.

2 hours ago, essox essox said:

been here ten yrs NEVER been asked "what do I live on"

Yes I often hear the statement they may ask what I live on, but I too, in a few more years, have never been asked that.

2 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

This presumes the IO will be happy to simply see the 65,000 baht coming in every month from overseas. And you get the Extension stamp. It would be a simple matter for them to ask where that money is coming from, ie. show us the foreign end of it. At the moment I don't know if this is being requested, ever or never or sometimes.

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

This presumes the IO will be happy to simply see the 65,000 baht coming in every month from overseas. And you get the Extension stamp. It would be a simple matter for them to ask where that money is coming from, ie. show us the foreign end of it. At the moment I don't know if this is being requested, ever or never or sometimes.

Or if, indeed they would understand it if shown, especially as it won't be in Thai and may not be in English

4 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Or if, indeed they would understand it if shown, especially as it won't be in Thai and may not be in English

Google Translate will be all the rage.

Archived